- Formulating and chemistry of hydraulic fracturing stimulation fluids.
- Organometallic cross-linkers and catalysts.
- Adhesion promoters.
- Sol-gel technology.
- Hydrophobic and oleophobic coatings.
- Fluorinated surfactants.
- Development and testing of coating systems.
- Patent searching and analysis.
- Root cause analysis.
Expert Witness Experience
- Provided expert witness testimony on organosilicon chemistry: Deposition in a patent infringement case.
Undisclosed Company, President, Present
- Assignments include managing the global technical service and intellectual property for a catalysts company.
Dorf Ketal Speciality Catalysts, LLC, Houston, TX, 2010 - 2014
Director of Applied Research and Development
- Led and managed the research, development and technical service for the organometallic catalysts, cross-linkers and diamine chain extenders for growth in the oil, gas, ink, additives, polyester, polyol, and sealant markets.
- Managed a group of four scientists at the corporate laboratories near Mumbai, India.
- Developed new products using Stage & Gate, resulting in $955,000 in revenue.
- Worked closely with manufacturing to improve existing products.
- Inventor on three U.S. and India patent applications.
E. I. du Pont de Nemours and Company, Wilmington, DE, 1988 - 2010
Improvement Leader and Sourcing - Various Sites
- Led corporate project teams in sourcing, resulting in $1.65 million cost savings in cost savings.
Senior Research Chemist - Fluoroproducts
- Developed and commercialized easy clean, non-stick glass bakeware coatings, resulting in $2.5 million revenue.
- Explored new technology for durable, environmentally-friendly cookware coating.
- Conducted testing on residual surfactant levels in commercial cookware and published results to ensure their safety.
- Led team to troubleshoot production line problems for a large international coatings customer leading to 75% less rejected parts.
Senior Chemist, Chemical Solutions Enterprise
- Invented, developed and commercialized patented technology to protect stone and tile from staining, resulting in $3.5 million revenue, and which led to an acquisition that generated $50 million for the business.
- Awarded the DuPont Marketing Excellence award for developing the stone and tile technology.
- Developed technology to eliminate the yellow color that develops in polycarbonate automobile headlamps, generating $2 million of revenue.
- Invented additives for fluorinated, easy-clean automotive coatings that allow repainting the vehicle if damaged.
Research Scientist, Central Research and Development
- Invented and patented technology for "star gel" organosilanes that formed flexible inorganic/organic hybrid materials.
- Invented and patented technology to make fluoropolymer nanocomposite coatings.
- Developed new polycarbosilanes as binders for silicon carbide composites.
- Invited speaker at three international and five U.S. conferences and workshops.
Developmental Chemist, Chemicals and Pigments
- Worked in a team to develop a grade of titanium dioxide pigment for use in masterbatches.
Honors & Publications
- Six Sigma Green Belt certified.
- Postdoctoral Inorganic Chemistry, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA
- Postdoctoral Inorganic Chemistry, University of Sussex, Falmer, UK,
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Chemical Society
- Society of Petroleum Engineers
- DuPont Marketing Excellence Award - Product Development
Publications and Patents
- 22 publications in peer review journals.
- 19 U.S. Patents.
- Ph.D. Inorganic Chemistry, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI
- B.A. Chemistry, Knox College, Galesburg, IL