- Medicinal and organic chemistry: program review, SAR analysis, new targets, direct programs at CROs.
- Therapeutic areas: Antibacterials, antiparasitics, steroids, natural products, estrogen receptor, diabetes, obesity, thrombosis, and animal health.
- Evaluation of drug discovery programs and potential products as part of investor due diligence.
- Synthetic route design and troubleshooting.
- Structure determination of unknown reaction products and novel compounds.
- Radiolabeled pharmaceuticals - compound design and synthetic strategy.
- Review of legal documents for scientific accuracy.
- Evaluation of grant proposals.
Expert Witness Experience
- Subject Matter Expert in organic chemistry, synthetic chemistry, and organic reaction mechanisms.
- Patent coverage evaluation - identify potential gaps ("patent busting").
Undisclosed Company, Vice President and Chemistry Contractor, Present
- Direct the chemistry aspects of the Company's research and development programs.
- Provided drug discovery consulting services to the Company.
Undisclosed Company, Senior Consultant and Founder, Present
- Served on review panels for NIH (National Institute of Health); reviewed SBIR (Small Business Innovation Research) /STTR (Small Business Technology Transfer) grant applications.
- Served on review panels for DOD (Department of Defense) organized by SRA International (Society of Research Administrators); reviewed grant applications.
- Evaluations of research programs and potential development compounds for a venture capital firms.
- Served as drug discovery consultant and part time VP of Chemistry for RiboNova.
Merck & Co., Inc., Rahway, NJ, Principal Scientist, 1985 - 2013
Distinguished Senior Investigator, 2007
Senior Investigator, 1999
Associate Director, 1994
Research Fellow, 1989
Senior Research Chemist, 1985
- Led the chemistry team that discovered MK-7655, a beta-lactamase inhibitor that is currently in Phase II clinical trials.
- Served as chemistry representative on the Early Development Team (EDT) for MK-8712.
- Led the chemistry group (10 chemists) that discovered two carbapenem antibiotic preclinical candidates for the treatment of MRSA infections. One, L-786,392, advanced to a Phase I multi-dose clinical trial.
- Directed external groups (up to 25 chemists) on 4 programs at CROs (WuXi (China) and AMRI (Singapore).
- Participated in outsourcing and licensing activities including visits to Shanghai, China and Gotembe, Japan.
- Member of the Process Chemistry Scientific Advisory Committee (SAC), a team of senior chemists that served as internal consultants and reviewed synthetic routes for development compounds and suggested improvements that increased efficiency and reduced costs.
- Member of the Late Stage Functionalization group, a team of experienced synthetic chemists that was formed to apply the latest synthetic methodology to complex drug molecules.
- Member of the Stereochemical Assignment Task Force, a group of senior Merck scientists that was assigned to solve stereochemical problems.
- Key contributor to the discovery of ER-alpha "super antagonists" active against Tamoxifen-resistant tumors and the discovery of a novel anti-hypertensive agent.
- Discovered a series of promising next-generation avermectins for parasitic infections in dogs.
- Developed an in vitro assay using brine shrimp as a useful surrogate for antiparasitic activity.
- Worked with patent attorneys to ensure intellectual property protection; drafted the claim structure for some patents.
- Developed method for isotopic labeling of paraherquamide, an anti-parasitic oxindole alkaloid.
Columbia University, New York, NY, Postdoctoral Research Scientist, 1984 -1985
- Postdoctoral research in natural products chemistry and organic synthesis with Professor Koji Nakanishi.
- Investigated the synthesis of steroidal marine natural products with shark repellent activity.
- Prepared steroids, including a C-14 labeled steroid, for studies on cholesterol metabolism.
- Isolated and purified brevetoxins from cultures brevetoxins from cultures of K. Brevis using established procedures.
Honors & Publications
- Mandarin Chinese (beginner level)
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Chemical Society - member, Organic and Medicinal Chemistry Divisions; served on two ACS award committees for 3 years each.
- New York Academy of Sciences - member
- Merck Polytechnic Institute courses: "Managing Across Cultures" and "Partnering Excellence"
- Rutgers Center for Management Development - mini-MBA Biopharma Innovation (six-day program)
- Partner Communications Course: "Executive Presentations Program"
- Leadership Courses: "Innovate Like Edison" & "Creativity and Innovation Leadership"
- Merck Research Laboratories Leadership Development Program
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, National Institutes of Health
- Graduate Fellowship, Whitaker Health Sciences Fund (M.I.T.)
- Graduate Fellowship, National Science Foundation
Publications and Patents
- Author and Co-Author of numerous publications in peer reviewed medical journals, science journals and other literature.
- National meetings, lectures, and symposia
- 19 U.S. patents
- Ph.D. Organic Chemistry, Massachusetts Institute Of Technology, Cambridge, MA
- B.S. Chemistry, University Of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA