- Development of equipment, processes and products for packaging, converting, coating, equipment, paper industry, polymers, and adhesives.
- Product development, innovative new consumer product designs.
- New materials development including composite and biodegradable materials.
- Packaging development, food service packaging, corrugated packaging, paper industry and paper machinery.
- Barrier packaging, barrier materials: Oxygen, water, oil/grease and WVTR, (Water Vapor Transmission Rate).
- Coating formulation development and surface chemistry.
- Structural adhesives.
- Rheology, fluid dynamics.
- Intellectual property, ideation, invention, and innovation.
- Antistatic materials.
- Insulation, novel insulating materials and products.
- Drying process and heat transfer.
- Papermaking process, paper physics, (printing) and corrugated board.
- Non-standard materials testing, new testing method development.
- Wear resistance materials and tribology.
- Converting machinery
- Statistical experimental design, advanced statistical analyses and six sigma.
- Printing properties evaluation.
Undisclosed Company, Principal Scientist, 1996 - 2014
- Responsible for new product development, development of packaging materials and packaging, specialty materials, coating formulations and rheology studies.
- Provided DOE with product performance optimizations, tribology studies, wear resistance and drying process improvements.
International Paper Company, Tuxedo, NY, Senior Scientist, 1990 - 1996
- Responsible for new product development, development of packaging materials and packaging, specialty materials, coating formulations, rheology studies, DOE, product performance optimization material testing development.
Bummash Corporation, St. Petersburg, Russia, 1989
- Product Line Manager for this paper machinery technology company working with corrugators, coaters, drying sections and calendars.
- Developed novel structural adhesive registered under a trademark.
- Developed barrier materials and packaging for preserving quality and increasing shelf life of food and other products.
- Developed testing and operating procedures for composite polymer-paper materials to improve performance on converting machinery (coated board packages for Tropicana).
- Developed water resistant packages and materials for can carriers (Anheuser Busch, Coca-Cola).
- Developed many coating formulations (formulation optimization, rheological properties control).
- Pigmented text and cover grades Realm%uFFFF and Smooth Realm%uFFFF (Size press technology development); commercialized.
- Developed a package for McDonald's with specific insulation properties.
- Water-resistant materials for can carriers (Anheuser Busch, Coca-Cola, Coors), grease resistant board; commercialized.
- Specialty materials based on new concepts (conductive, wear resistant, decorative, anti-static, anti-counterfeiting).
- Implemented through drying technology for filtration materials.
- Improvements of extruder operations (polyethylene coating for liquid packaging board).
- Developed testing procedures for printing evaluation and selection of appropriate method of printing (offset, ink jet, flexo).
- Implemented product with improved formation of fiber web. Developed devices and processes for formation improvement.
- Developed new product concept: high-end pigmented ink jet paper compatible to coated paper (presented on TAPPI conference), commercialized.
- New coating method for paper and board based on nano-technology and electro-spinning.
- Rewetting/conditioning technology and dimensional stability improvement.
- New calendaring technology (improved strength and printing properties), commercialized.
- Implemented numerous types of patented equipment: Press drying system, control deflection rolls, calendars, guiding rolls, steam bars, web handling and air.
Honors & Publications
- Fluent Russian
- German - Conversation
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Institute of Paper Science and Technology - IPST, (Advisory Committee)
- Coating Advisory Subcommittee at IPST
- Minor in Chemical Engineering
Publications and Patents
- Over 30 publications in Russian journals.
- About 100 patents, Russian and USA
- Ph.D. Chemical Technology, (Paper Machinery), Saint. Petersburg State Technological University, (Department of Plant Polymers), St. Petersburg, Russia
- M.S. Mechanical Engineering, Saint Petersburg State Technological University, (Department of Plant Polymers), St. Petersburg, Russia