- Product development of advanced composite structures.
- Aerospace structural design and weight optimization.
- Polymer matrix composite Materials and Process (M&P) engineering.
- Comprehensive test program development.
- Micrograph analysis and ultrasonic NDI (A-scan, C-scan).
- CapEx, certification, production and repair schedule assessments.
Undisclosed Company, Owner, Consultant, 2013 - Present
- Solutions provider to the composites industry, specializing in generating fully-substantiated solutions to complex design and build challenges considering all aspects of product development, production, and operation.
Glenwood Springs Company, Glenwood Springs, CO, 2010 - 2013
- Program Leader for the Airbus A320NEO advanced thermoplastic cargo liner module.
- Defined requirements from Airbus specifications, led trade studies on fusion joining method of large assemblies.
- Technical engineer of Sikorsky aircraft panels.
- Validation testing of craft floor panels, administered deviation and change requests.
- Provide substantiating analyses of manufacturing defects.
- Developed resin-infusion repair methods for damaged panels.
- Invented method to increase radius crushing strength of thermoplastic stringers by 80%.
- Developed a patent-pending method for manufacturing a co-cured machined-features cargo-guide rail.
- Led design-build-test efforts of stamp-formed TPC applications for customers including: Airbus, Boeing, Eurocopter, and Army Aviation Technology Directorate (AATD).
- Designed matched-metal forming tooling and operated equipment, including presses, IR ovens, and automated tape layup machines.
- Initiated the CCB (Configuration Change Board) to manage design changes and modify specifications.
Boeing Commercial Aircraft, Everett, WA, Aircraft Design Engineer (Configurator), 2007 - 2010
- Led major composite structures design and manufacturing trade studies conducted: Reduced resin content material, outboard, high volume and lamination of wing skins.
- Co-led dozens of successful trade studies with functional leaders, such as wing box structural fuel vent stringers, wing box EME optimization" (for lightning and electrostatics), and fuselage barrel ply eeductions
- Led a cross-functional team to solve an urgent and high visibility manufacturing issues.
Wing Structures Analyst, 2006 - 2007
- Composed and released official Boeing methodology memo for strength analysis of carbon fiber wing panel edges.
- Performed wing panel stress analyses, including stringer run-outs (Nastran/Patran), LE/TE bearing-bypass joints, BVID, and 0.050" edge notch.
Product Development Composite Structures Engineer, 2005 - 2006
- Planned and executed non-orthogonal laminates" test program, comparing structural properties of unique composite laminates. Reduced test data and recommended new laminate families for wing and stabilizer stringers.
- Developed innovative new process to efficiently label composite test panels resulting in a U.S. patent.
Boeing Phantom Works Concept Exploration, Irvine, CA, 2007 - 2010
- Filling several rolls: Airframe Leader, Composite Shop Manager and Composites Engineer.
- Led team of 20 technicians and 3 engineers responsible for all tooling, fabrication, and testing of the composite airframe, including fuselage, main and tail rotor blades, cowlings, fairings, and landing gear.
- Doubled efficiency of composite shop through improved materials, more efficient shop layout, and seamless coordination with engineering.
- Selectively implemented Boeing lean manufacturing processes into Frontier Systems composite shop; outsourced composite parts and fuel cells to suppliers nationwide.
- Created detailed estimate-at-cost (EAC) for engineering, tooling, and manufacture of all composite parts for eight aircraft; recruited, interviewed, and hired composite fabricators and structures engineers to meet increased rate demands of new DARPA contract.
- Fabricated CFRP parts, including rotor-blade spars, cowlings, fairings, landing-gear legs, and bulkheads; performed field repairs of main structure longeron and skin-panel disbonds.
Honors & Publications
- Graduate Certificate: Aircraft Composite Structural Analysis and Design, University of Washington College of Engineering, Seattle, WA
- Spanish-highly proficient
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Society for the Advancement of Materials and Process Engineering (SAMPE)
- Composite Materials Handbook (CMH-17)
- Handbook meeting contributor
Publications and Patents
- Author and Co-Author of technical publications; (conferences, peer reviewed journals and magazines).
- Several U.S. patents.
- B.S. Aeronautics and Astronautics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA