- Advanced Materials: Electro-ceramics, nanotechnology, solar PV and LED, (Light-Emitted Diode) substrates.
- Electronic components.
- Clean energy and sustainable technologies.
- Funding for start-ups.
- Solar industry: Global solar wafer manufacturing.
- LED (Light-Emitting Diode)industry: Development, expansion, strategy and industry growth.
- Ceramic proppants for oil and natural gas extraction.
- Carbon materials.
- High temperature insulation.
- Ceramic particle synthesis.
- Ceramic particle suspensions and surface coatings.
- Technology commercialization.
- General management of technology based growth businesses.
- Technology development leadership.
- Executive for technology based start-ups.
- Intellectual property development, vetting and strategy.
- University collaboration.
- Government proposals and funding.
- Materials testing and characterization.
- Global business building and market consulting: Advanced materials, clean and sustainable energy and electronic components.
Expert Witness Experience
- Testimony: Funding of Clean Technology initiatives, secured $40 million in funding as a result.
Undisclosed Company, Vice President and General Manager, 2011 - 2013
- For a global solar and LED business, lead executive with full profit and loss responsibility for this high visibility, key growth global vertical business for company, focused on carbon and graphite based products and engineered solutions for the early supply chain serving the Solar, LED and Power Electronics markets.
- Led a multi-functional international team serving key markets in China, Asia, the U.S. and Europe.
- In the first year, grew top-line revenues by 110% to $42 million, while at same time, improving margins by more than 55%.
- Developed the strategy and led the expansion of the business into LED and power electronics, which added $10 million in revenue growth in the first year.
- Oversaw new product innovations initiatives, and related intellectual property development, with cumulative revenue impact projected to be $27 million through 2014.
- The International Team is comprised of Sales, New Business Development, Manufacturing, Technology and Applications Engineering staff.
- Directly engaged key accounts on a global basis, establishing new business relationship with the top two global solar wafer manufacturers and multiple leading manufacturers of LED wafers.
Undisclosed Company, President and Principal, 2005 - Present
- Consulting services in the areas of advanced materials, electronic components, clean energy technologies, and intellectual property
- Past clients include: M.A.M. and Ben Franklin Technology Partners.
PaceControls, York, PA, Chief Operating Officer, 2009 - 2010
- Joined this emerging HVAC energy efficiency solutions company to drive growth through improved business strategy and operational plans, as well as to support sales growth, and drive funding opportunities.
- Chartered to build the organization to help the company achieve its full potential through expansion of its sales, marketing and technology initiatives.
Blue Square Energy, North East, MD, 2008 - 2009
Chief Technology Officer and Chief Executive
- Joined this emerging solar cell technology and manufacturing company as Vice President of Research and Development. Promoted within six months to assume responsibility for all operational aspects of the company as well as to serve as point person on the development of strategic partnership relationships to increase funding and accelerate commercialization of the company's Bright Point product.
- Reinvigorated research and development program, achieving a 15% improvement in Bright Point product performance within 3 months.
- This enabled the company to meet DOE contract deliverables, resulting in a critical 1.5 million in funds to the company.
- Solidified the company's intellectual property position, revamped the manufacturing scale-up strategy and positioned the company for acquisition.
Ben Franklin Technology Partners, Philadelphia, PA, 2006 - 2008
Vice President, Technology Commercialization Group
- Lead executive in energy/physical sciences area, responsible for fostering and nurturing new business start-ups in areas of energy, defense and advanced communications with emphasis on alternate energy and clean technologies.
- This high-profile position included engagement and development of key stakeholders from government, industry, academia and the financial community. Built key relationships with leading business, government and technology experts involved within all major components of sector.
- Recognized as key regional expert in clean technology area by economic development organizations, energy industry, venture capitalists and state officials.
- Appointed Pennsylvania state lead for clean energy for all four Ben Franklin Technology Partners statewide.
- Led the development of a proposal resulting in the successful achievement of $40 million in additional funding from the Governor's Energy Independence Initiative to support clean energy start-ups as well as industry/university collaborations in related translational research.
- Board Member: Smart Energy Initiative of Southeastern Pennsylvania.
- Advisory Boards: PA Green Growth Partnership, Philadelphia Navy Yard Keystone Innovation Zone.
Oxane Materials, Houston, TX, Chief Technology and Chief Operating Officer, 2005 - 2006
- Joined this late-stage nanotechnology start-up company, focused on significantly increasing output of natural gas wells.
- Utilized business development and general management experience, as well as technical expertise to support organization's research, development, and commercialization of high potential product. Delivered, on schedule, proof of product technology efficacy, and developed framework for successful Round B and follow on financing of $11 million.
- Reported to, and worked closely with, CEO and Board, including venture capital partner, to improve business plan as well as create business development and marketing strategies for ultimate commercialization.
- Engaged and instilled confidence in key potential investors on national and international basis.
- Dramatically accelerated rate of progress of product development which resulted in 50% increase in Round A funding (by principal investor) as well as 3X increase in valuation going into Round B. Co-authored Company's foundational patents for high-potential application in natural gas drilling and recovery.
- Identified and demonstrated feasibility of manufacturing approach which provides 4 times improvement over previously projected manufacturing efficiency as well as an acceleration of scale-up time-line by 12 months.
- Increased leadership and competence of organization. Recruited key additional resources (technical staff, advisory board and consultants), based on personal center of influence in professional and academic communities.
- These resources provide vital support in areas of technology, intellectual property, and commercial scale-up, as well as direct access to key customers in energy industry.
Cabot Corporation, Boyertown, PA, Global Director, Advanced Materials Business, 1991 - 2005
- Reported to Division CEO and managed two distinct organizations.
- Full profit and loss responsibility for managing new emerging new capacitor material business as well as global responsibility for managing all research and development activities for entire supermetals division.
- Managed staff of 30 in both the United States and Japan with an annual operating budget of $10 million and annual capital budget of up to $5 million.
- Direct staff included finance, sales and marketing, manufacturing, and research and development both domestically and in Japan.
- Additional responsibility noted, functioned since 1998 as one of five members of senior operating committee for division with mandate for establishing strategic direction.
- Participated on internal Board of Directors of Division which also included Cabot's Chairman, CEO and other senior management personnel.
- As one of five members of senior operating committee for supermetals division, played active role in following significant division achievements:
- Tantalum global market share increased from 23% to 60%, while sales increased from $180 million to over $440 million.
- Revenue and profit compound annual growth for this period were 18% and 20% respectively.
- Full buyout of previously 50% owned Showa Cabot Supermetals in Japan was widely viewed to be second greatest creation of shareholder value for Cabot over last 20 years.
- Refreshed niobium product development program, and leveraged intellectual property position in niobium monoxide to establish licensing agreement with key customer which resulted in new revenue stream while internal product development is under completion. Royalties reached $1 million per year.
- Developed and launched new tantalum powder product line (three products) within 18 months, which generated $36 million of annualized sales in 2004 and directly displaced main competitor's market share.
- Diversified global manufacturing by transferring technology of lead product manufactured in U.S. to Japan and vice versa.
- Increased invention disclosure rate five-fold to over 60 per year, including six new patent applications and rich intellectual property pipeline.
- Established technology roadmap for product and process technology.
- Developed unique incubator research and development model which in less than 24 months has identified potential to decrease core products manufacturing cost up to 25% and support new breakthrough product with substantial future revenue potential.
Managing Director, Barium Titanate Business, 1991 - 2002
- Reported to Division CEO with responsibility for developing and launching this nanotechnology based new business venture, directed toward ceramic capacitor and other commercial applications.
- Full profit and loss responsibility for operating budget of $10 million and capital budgets of up to $5 million per year.
- Recruited and managed multi-functional staff including: Finance, manufacturing, engineering, research and development, total quality management, and sales and marketing.
- Interfaced extensively with customers and developed competitive strategies designed to enhance product efficacy and viability.
- Established office in Tokyo, Japan, in order to leverage technologies and cement current and potential customer relationships.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Ceramic Society - ACS
- Penn State Football Letterman's Club
- National Award for Industry/University Collaboration
- Five U.S. patents.
- Ph.D. Materials, Electro-Ceramic Materials, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA
- B.S. Ceramic Science and Engineering, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA