- Lubricant formulation development for requirements in gasoline, diesel, alternative fuels and advanced power plants.
- Specialized in advanced crankcase lubricant applications with over 34 years' experience.
- Qualifying tests, performance, and lubricant specifications from working with lubricant industry leaders, OEMs, (Original Equipment Manufacturer) industry groups (ASTM, SAE), lubricant marketers and lubricant additive suppliers.
- Development of lubricants for reduced fuel consumption, two-stroke, and stationery natural gas engines.
- Clear communication and education of lubricant technology to mechanical engineers, enabling participation in the development process.
- Fundamental understanding of engine designs and critical variables involved in testing lubricant properties to meet field needs.
- Wear, alternative fuels, emissions, and fuel economy and the role of lubricants in achieving optimum performance.
- Clear and concise summary reports on technical matters.
- Familiar with statistical methods used to optimize multiple variables.
Independent Consultant, 2004 - Present
- Consult with diesel OEM supplier on lubricant hardware interactions.
- Consult with lubricant supplier on formulations with recently developed crankcase engine oil additives.
- Given overview presentations on crankcase oil formulations requirements and ways lubricants are formulated to meet requirements.
Lubrizol Corp., Wickliffe, OH, Research Chemist and Principal Research Scientist, 1970 - 2004
- Formulated lubricants to meet OEM conventional passenger car and HD diesel requirements.
- Formulated lubricants to meet conventional 2-stroke engine requirements.
- Headed diverse projects aimed at meeting the unique requirements imposed by alternative engine designs, alternative fuels, and OEM supplier components.
- Involved in committees comprised of representatives from oil companies, additive suppliers, OEMs set up to establish performance requirements for crankcase engine oils.
- Projects for advanced power plant technologies included lubricants for rotary engines, low-emissions two-stroke engines, alternatively-fueled passenger car and diesel engines.
- Provided technology transfer to Lubrizol India Ltd., visiting the country three times for technology training.
- As a result of synthesis research, became involved in the formulation and testing of lubricant additives, then promoted to the position of Principal Research Scientist.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Member Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) and the American Chemical Society (ACS)
- Elected Fellow of the Society of Automotive Engineers in recognition of contributions to engine technology through lubricant formulation.
- Elected to the Lubrizol technical ladder in recognition of ability to manage projects and the development of formulations to meet emerging technologies.
- Awarded Outstanding Chemist of the year by the Northeastern Ohio Section of the American Chemical Society.
- Chair of the Emerging Technology Committee Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE).
- Awarded Outstanding Member of the Cleveland Section of the SAE and elected as SAE fellow.
- Visionary Award of the Cleveland Technical Societies Council.
Publications and Patents
- Author and Co-Author of over 19 publications in scientific papers, handbooks, and an entry in the encyclopedia for polymer science and engineering.
- Numerous presentations globally to OEMs and OEM suppliers on lubrication issues.
- 15 issued patents and others pending.
- M.S. Chemistry, Miami University, Oxford, OH
- B.A. Chemistry, Miami University, Oxford, OH