- Materials expertise in metals, ceramics, fibers, metal matrix composites, and porous lightweight metallic materials.
- Materials solutions for smart product designs - aerospace, automotive, locomotive, industrial, electronic interconnects, defense (vehicle armor), oil patch, gas exploration, nuclear, electrical equipment, petrochemical, orthopedic implants and surgical instruments, and fuel cell markets.
- Primary metals manufacturing: Melt refining, casting, hot/cold working, finishing, surface treatments, and fabrication - aluminum, magnesium, copper, steels, super alloys, precious metal finishes, and refractory metals.
- Strategic business and research and development planning, technology assessment/forecasting, and market development.
- Technology transition from laboratory to manufacturing.
- Design for environment, lean manufacturing, six sigma manufacturing, life cycle management, and contract manufacturing support.
Expert Witness Experience
- Expert witness in product liability cases, (E.g. aluminum ladder failure).
Undisclosed Company, President, 2012 - 2013
- Provide materials, technology, and marketing solutions expertise.
- Enable timely decision making inputs to clients for business growth.
Cellular Materials International Inc., Charlottesville, VA, 2002 - 2012
Vice President - Technology and Business Development, Director of Research
- Promoted the development of multifunctional cellular materials through government funding for defense applications in the areas force protection (armoring against bullets and bombs) and thermal management (large acreage heat pipes).
- Developed strategic alliance with large corporations such as 3M and General Dynamics to transition the products into merchant markets.
- Negotiated and executed contracts ranging from $50,000 to $4,000,000 from DoD, NASA, DHS, and FRA funding agencies.
- Responsible for 100 fold startup company sales growth within first 8 years.
Carpenter Technology, Reading, PA, 1999 - 2002
Manager Process Development and Market Development
- Improved manufacturing yield of super alloy forgings used for rotating turbine components resulting in market penetration and multi-million dollar sales growth with bottom line profitability.
- Accomplished this task through process improvements in re-melting practices of VAR and ESR.
- Developed instrumentation and equipment for NDE Hot Eddy Current (HEC) flaw detection system to improve stainless rod quality. Resulted in scrap reduction and yield improvement up to 30%.
- Identified new market opportunities for stainless steels for fuel cell, medical, and high speed machining markets resulting in new business growth to $2 billon company.
- Supported customers in various market segments promoting right materials for best in class designs, ( E.g. Pratt and Whitney, GE, and Northrop Grumman).
AMP Inc., (Tyco Electronics), Harrisburg, PA, 1992 - 1999
Corporate Manager for Advanced Materials and Contact Physics Research
- Promoted use of cost effective performance driven materials for new and existing connector designs.
- Changes resulted in $2 million in savings and new business to AMP.
- Promoted design for environmental materials concepts into AMP's manufacturing facilities around the world in 28 countries.
- Established AMP as a leader in green manufacturing among connector companies globally.
- Promoted AMP connectors to OEM customers globally, servicing: HP, IBM, Ericson, Volvo, Chrysler, and ABB.
- Identified electronic packaging needs for MEMS systems which resulted in new connector business segment.
- Reduced usage of gold finishes in electronic connectors through electro plating process improvement and quality control.
- Participated in corporate acquisitions and technology assessment process.
- Coordinated vendor relations to improve quality issues and new alloy applications. E.g. Outokumpu, Olin, Brush Wheelman, and NGK.
Cabot Corporation, (NGK Metals), Reading, PA, 1981 - 1992
Process Development Manager, Engineered Products Group and General Manager, Beryllium Products
- Developed and implemented process improvements from primary to finish product manufacturing operations for BeCu products, refractory metal products (Ta, NbTi, and Nb mill products), and aluminum master alloys (grain refiners and hardeners) resulting in global competitive edge and new product introductions.
- Manufacturing yield improvements up to 25% and $2 -20 million dollar annual sales growth.
- Coordinated transitioning research and development results between U.S. manufacturing facilities and European manufacturing facilities in France and Holland.
- Participated in technology transfer of mill hardened BeCu strip technology between Cabot and NGK (Japan).
- Produced millions of dollars of additional revenue to Cabot.
- Introduced new tubular BeCu products to down hole directional drilling operations in oil patch Industry, (e.g. TELECO, Ana drill, Schlumberger, and Smith International).
- Implemented manufacturing improvements to Vacuum Arc Remelting (VAR) and Electron Beam refining (EB) to produce high performance NbTi superconducting wire and high purity (RRR) Niobium for particle physics application.
- Qualified vendors to the market. E.g. GE, Supercon, Oxford Instruments.
GTE Laboratories, Waltham, MA, Member of Technical Staff, 1977 - 1981
- Developed and implemented low cost precision metal brazing foil production. Patented twin roller continuous casting thin strip casting process.
- Resulted in 80% cost reduction for brazing foil product manufacturing for uses in aerospace rotating turbine engine assembly application.
- As a corporate consulting metallurgist for $16 billion dollar sales conglomerate, solved various manufacturing problems in the production of battery cans, lighting products, contact materials, and circuit breakers.
- Developed stable transition temperature NiTi shape memory alloys for electrical applications.
- Contributed to the development of metal matrix composites using continuous and discontinuous carbon and SiC fibers, (e.g.Textron).
Honors & Publications
- Six Sigma
- Dynamics of Change
- Competitive Analysis
- Fellow, American Society of Metals
- JTE Program
- SPC Program
- Juran Quality improvement Program
- AMA R&D Management Course
- Professional Engineer-P.E.
- Hindi (Fluent, Conversation)
- Telugu (Fluent, Conversation, Writing and Reading)
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Society for Microbiology - ASM
- The Minerals, Metals and Materials Society - TMS
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers - IEEE
- International Ballistic Society - IBS
- Fellow of ASM
- Various Professional Society Gov. Agency Recognitions
Publications and Patents
- Forty-five technical publications.
- Three patents and ten patent applications filed.
- Ph.D. Degree, Metallurgy, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT
- M. S. Degree, Metallurgy, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT
- B. E. Degree, Metallurgical Engineering, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India
- B. Sc. Physics, (with Honors) Andhra University, Waltair, India