- Evaluation of pulping and bleaching processes.
- Determination of pulp and paper properties.
- Measurement of organics and inorganics in biomass.
- Research and development into biomass conversion.
Independent Consultant, Present
- Assignments have included investigations into the development of new products from woody biomass, retention of dyes by pulp fibers and the development of academic and training programs.
Undisclosed Technology Institute, 1999 - Present
- Chair of Advanced Papermaking
Undisclosed University, 1995 - Present
Adjunct Professor, Department of Wood Science, Faculty Forestry
- Teaching and course development in pulp and paper technology and wood chemistry.
- Leading research and development programs into: Energy savings in mechanical pulping processes, genetic control of fiber properties.
- New products from woody biomass, color and brightening of mechanical pulps and enzymatic treatment of paper machine process waters.
Canadian Forest Products, Vancouver, BC, Canada, 1990 - 1994
Senior Research Scientist
- Directed a pulp and paper research and development program for the pulp and paper mills.
- Topics included, totally chlorine free bleaching process and pulp refining.
- Led the first mill trials on chlorine-free bleaching in North America.
- Supervised testing and analysis group.
- Activities included evaluation of pulp and paper properties and the determination of chlorinated organics in effluent streams.
Dow Chemicals Ltd., Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, 1987 - 1990
- Managed a research program into the application of the company's products in the pulp and paper industry.
Pulp and Paper Research Institute of Canada, Pointe Claire, Quebec, Canada, 1979 - 1987
Senior Research Scientist
- Led a research program into the development of new chemical-mechanical pulping processes.
- Advised companies on the implementation of chemical-mechanical pulping processes in their mills.
- Ran pilot scale trials for member companies.
- Supervised a research into the factors determining the strength of pulp fibres.
- Established the kinetics for the reactions between sulfite and lignin.
- Developed an analytical procedure for the determination of acid groups in pulp fibres.
Consolidated Bathurst Ltd. , Montreal, Ontario, Canada, 1976 - 1979
- Led the group responsible for development and evaluation of packaging products and materials.
- Developed and evaluated high-compression containers.
- Solved problems with adhesives and bond strength.
- Assessed the quality of linerboard and corrugated medium.
Special Interests and Research
- The application of chemicals and enzymes for reduction of energy consumption in mechanical pulping.
- Fibre length and lignin content in plants.
- The use of fungi and enzymes to remove detrimental organics from paper mill process waters.
- Development of totally chlorine free bleaching for Kraft Pulps.
- The use of xylanses in pulp bleaching.
- The determination of acid groups in pulps.
Honors & Publications
- Generation of scientific reports.
- Educator: Pulp and paper technology, Wood chemistry and process simulation.
- French - Reading
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Member of Canadian Pulp and Paper Association Technical Section
- Member of the American Chemical Society
- Member of the Cellulose, Paper and Textile Division of the American Chemical Society
- Member of the Technical Association of the Pulp and Paper Industry (USA)
- Chairman of the Research Committee and Sulphite Committee (CPPA)
- Author and Co-Author - numerous publications; peer reviewed journals, meetings and symposiums.
- Ph.D. Organic Chemistry, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
- B.Sc. Chemistry, University of Exeter, Exeter, Devon, England