- Hydrogen technologies from production to end use applications with knowledge of related codes, standards, procedures, protocols and best practices.
- Safety issues handling hydrogen and other flammable gases.
- Space applications for hydrogen, including propellant acquisition strategies.
- Alternative fuels in support of the transportation sector.
Independent Consultant, 1994 - Present
- Advisor to municipal gas companies in the implementation of natural gas supply projects in Florida.
- Advisor on hydrogen topics to many national agencies.
- Hydrogen consultant to the solar energy industry.
- Served on the Space Coast DOE Clean Cities Coalition on matters of vehicle alternative fuels.
- Advisor to the Praxair, Inc. Corporation on matters of space vehicle propellant support at various U.S. locations.
- Currently a consultant with FireFreeze Worldwide, Inc., a firm that has developed a non-toxic, biodegradable fire suppressant called "ColdFire" for use in Class A, B, D and K fires.
- Provided consulting services to various clients mostly regarding hydrogen projects:
- National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- BMW, (Bayerische Motoren Werke) automaker
- Wyle labs
- DCH Technology
- Hydrogen Components Inc.
- CSA America
- International Energy Agency
- Space Gateway Support
- Gas Technology Institute
- General Physics
- Parsons Brinckerhoff Inc.
- Hydrogen 2000 Inc.
- Collier Technologies.Type>
NASA Kennedy Space Center, FL, 1965 - 1994
- Technician operating and maintaining mobile equipment and fixed systems in support of hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen and helium requirements.
- Prepared the necessary procedures and protocols for mission operations.
- Prepared specifications used in the acquisition of the mobile equipment.
- Systems engineering for propellants ground support equipment and propellant supply logistics in support of Mercury, Gemini, Saturn, Apollo, Skylab, Delta, Atlas, Centaur, Agena, Titan and Space Shuttle programs.
- Manager of NASA Propellants and Life Support functions.
- Served on procurement source evaluation boards in the acquisition of liquid hydrogen in support of all NASA and DOD requirements.
- Assignment at NASA Headquarters Washington, D.C., to plan for the advanced space launch concepts and provide analysis for critical propellant support such as hydrogen.
- Organized the first U.S. hydrogen leak and fire detection technologies seminar.
- Assignment at Air Force/NASA Vandenberg AFB to manage hydrogen, oxygen, hypergolic propellants, high-pressure gases, laboratory sampling and analysis and precision cleaning.
- Managed hydrogen and vehicle alternate fuels programs at KSC.
- Implemented the natural gas pipeline project to serve KSC and the Cape Canaveral AFS at over thirty facilities. ~Implemented the vehicle natural gas fueling station.
Brown Engineering, Huntsville, AL, 1961 - 1965
- Design engineering and preparation of specifications for space program ground support systems including hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen and helium systems.
U.S. Army Ballistic Missile Agency, Redstone Arsenal, AL, 1959 - 1961
- Physicist, developing space vehicle parameters for guidance and control and wind tunnel experiments.
EBASCO, Inc., Noxon, MT, 1955 - 1959
- Design engineering in water hydraulics and civil structures for a hydroelectric project.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- National Hydrogen Association (NHA)
- American Hydrogen Association (AHA)
- International Association for Hydrogen Energy (IAHE)
- Canadian Hydrogen group (HIC)
- ISO Hydrogen Technologies TC 197
- International Council on Cooperation and Development of Hydrogen (ICCDH)
- Board member, development of the CPIA, Liquid Propellants Manual.
- Aerospace Safety Data Institute, Hydrogen Safety manual development.
- Convener/expert member for several ISO hydrogen working groups. Oversaw the first publication of a ISO specification on hydrogen energy (hydrogen fuel specification).
- Senior Associate, Hydrogen Safety Institute, LLC.
- Senior Associate, H2Scan LLC, hydrogen sensor marketing.
- Under the invitation of the Secretary of the Department of Energy, served as member of the Hydrogen Technical Advisory Panel, (HTAP) as mandated by the Hydrogen Act.
- NHA/DOE hydrogen codes and standards working groups.
- Chairman of the DOE Hydrogen Safety Panel (HSP) that has the following responsibilities and accomplishments:
- Oversee all DOE hydrogen related project safety plans
- Created the best practices handbook
- Created the H2 incident website
- Developed a Guidance Document for use by project investigators
- Performed on site project reviews.
- Lifetime Achievement Award, National Space Club Florida Committee.
- Lifetime Honorary Member Award, National Hydrogen Association.
- Honorable Recognition Award, American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
- Lifetime Member of Strathmore's WHO'S WHO recognition.
- Lifetime Member of America's Registry of Outstanding Professionals.
- NASA Exceptional Service Award, Kennedy Space Center.
- U.S. Air Force Exceptional Service Award, Vandenberg AFB.
- NASA Astronaut prestigious Silver Snoopy Award.
- Author and Co-Author of numerous publications in addressing hydrogen: Probable Cause and Effect, Living with Hydrogen, Hydrogen Operations, Past and Present, Handling Hydrogen Safely, Green Hydrogen Report, Hydrogen Infrastructure and other topics.
Presenter and Speaker
- Hydrogen related topics at various national and international conferences and forums.
- Ph.D. Engineering Management, California Coast University
- M.S. Space Systems Management, Florida Institute of Technology
- B.S. Space Systems Technologies, Florida Institute of Technology