- Thirty five years of experience in advanced fiber and carbon fiber composites.
- Developed all carbon fiber products marketed by the Hercules Composite Products business, (sold to Hexcel Corp).
- Fiber spinning and carbon fiber processing.
- Surface characteristics of carbon-carbon composites.
- Novel fibers, packaging techniques, and analysis methods for obscurant applications.
- Glass fibers, nanofibers and other advanced materials.
- Multi-wall carbon nanotubes (MWCNTs).
- Novel methods for separating and disentangling carbon nanotube bundles.
- Development of several novel technologies leading to the demonstration of low cost carbon fiber materials.
- Development of novel fiber types ranging from low thermal conductivity carbon fibers to carbon fibers with improved surface characteristics.
Undisclosed Company, President, 1996 - Present
- Advanced fiber and composite consulting for contracted research and development clients.
- Define properties and characteristics of state-of-the-art carbon fiber products and development of several newer generation carbon fiber products (including the first IM and UHM carbon fibers).
- Produce various value-added carbon fiber products, including modified continuous fiber, surface modified fiber, and specialty chopped fiber.
- Provide technologies utilizing other advanced materials such as fiberglass and aramid fibers.
- Products and leading supplier of advanced materials, technology, enhanced performance fiber products, specialized packaging, specialized testing, engineering design, engineering analysis,fiber and composite modifications for special applications.
Hexcel and Hercules, Inc., Research Center, Wilmington, DE, 1976 - 1996
Manager - Fibers Research and Development
- Program Manager and Senior Research Scientist.
Functional Manager - Composite Products Division
- Supervise research center composite products division personnel.
- Oversee all composite activities at research center.
- Budget in excess of $1.5 million.
Program Manager and Senior Research Scientist
- Precursor spinning and process and product development.
- Carbon fiber process and product development.
- Carbon fiber surface treatment development.
- Design and construct carbon fiber research lines.
- Design data acquisition systems.
- Design, install, and supervise bench scale and lab scale fiber spinning facilities.
- Computer programming - data acquisition equipment, data reduction and analysis.
- Installation and supervision of carbon fiber tow test lab.
- Design, install, and supervise composite fabrication and test lab.
- Secure and perform outside contracts.
- Secured and successfully completed over $20 million in government contracts.
- Developed novel products and packaging forms for obscurant applications.
- Developed novel test procedures for obscurant applications.
- Designed and constructed novel fabrication equipment for obscurant packaging.
- Developed method for monitoring and predicting degree of oxidation in C-Fiber process.
- Designed and constructed state of the art C-Fiber research facility and composite test facility.
- Designed and programmed data acquisition system for C- Fiber research line.
- Implemented bench scale and lab scale spinning equipment.
Honors & Publications
Publications and Patents
- Author and Co-Author of numerous publications in peered review journals and technical conferences.
- Over 12 U.S. patents in carbon fiber related applications.
- M.S. Chemical Engineering, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY