- Medical device business development activities such as negotiation of term sheets, contracts and due diligence activities, and technology development from bench top to commercialization, portfolio analysis, identification of new technologies for revenue expansion.
- Medical devices
- Project management
Expert Witness Experience
- For an orthopaedic device case: Submitted detailed analysis of technical information.
Undisclosed Company, President, Present
- Conducted technology assessment in orthobiologics arena.
- Project Director for a start-up company.
- Technology and market analysis for high tech company identifying areas to utilize their medical devices.
- Market and technical analysis for university spin outs.
Stryker Orthopaedics, Mahwah, NJ, 1999 - 2011
Director, Science, Business Development Group, 2005 - 2011
- Led market assessment, identification of portfolio gaps, deal negotiation for multiple business units; term sheet through due diligence to definitive agreement. Managed multi-functional teams assembled for new business opportunities.
- Actively monitored start-up companies in the fields of cartilage regeneration, peripheral nerve, meniscus and, tissue repair, infection prevention, point of care infection diagnostic, and other emerging technologies.
- Selected as technical expert for due diligence teams, covering opportunities from over $50 million to $400 million across multiple corporate and global divisions.
- Created process to identify technology transfer opportunities at global academic institutions including Queens University, UK, and National University of Singapore covering biologics, nerve repair, and joint implants.
- Developed relationships with a number of venture capital companies focused on life sciences investment.
- Conducted technical Due Diligence for international opportunities leading to a number of signed contracts.
- Recruited to assist other Stryker divisions in assessment of new technologies.
- Key member of multi-divisional team for the development of a best in class injectable bone substitute; revenue more than $30 million a 21% growth on previous year sales; inventor on multiple patents.
- Generated $10 million in savings in 2010 as a result of technical support provided to sales, marketing, and manufacturing groups.
- Completed preliminary analysis of opportunities in the fields of: cartilage repair, professional wound care, peripheral nerve, and neuroendovascular implants which contributed to the company making an investment in a cartilage company, and a neuroendovascular company.
Director, Materials Science, Advanced Technology, 1999 - 2005
- Conducted project management, developed budgets, provided group leadership and direction, and technical expertise.
- Identified several projects for potential revenue expansion.
- Spearheaded development of first antibiotic cement cleared by the FDA; cumulative sales greater than $520 million.
- Identified portfolio gap and led development of a bone cement through to commercial release, $20 million in cumulative sales.
Howmedica, Rutherford, NJ, Director, Materials Science, 1990 - 1998
- Project management and leadership for a group of 12 researchers.
- Established a program to prove that bone ingrowth into cementless 3D surface technology occurred in clinical practice leading to peer reviewed publications and conference presentations.
- Spearheaded the development of a unique biodegradable Cranio Maxillo Facial implant system, still commercially available, with sales of over $30 million.
- Led the development of two novel cementless fixation technologies from bench top to commercial release including the first and only biomimetic hydroxyapatite coating available globally, over 250,000 implants sold.
Honors & Publications
- Chartered Scientist, C.Sci.
- Chartered Engineer, C.Eng.
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.), Thesis: 'Corrosion of Contacting Metal-Polymer Surfaces.'
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- PFIZER Hospital Products Group, European Technical Centre, Limerick, IRL
Publications and Patents
- 32 peer reviewed publications
- 59 presentations at international conferences
- 28 issued U.S.A. patents and equivalent international patents
- Ph.D. Materials Science, Manchester University, Manchester, UK
- B.S. Metallurgy, Materials Science, Manchester Polytechnic, Manchester, UK