Civil engineering and fire protection engineering.
- Licensed in both disciplines and have a current NCEES international record that allows for ease of reciprocity to all states and many countries.
- Engineering standards of care and standards of practice for construction plans and documents.
- Fire & Life Safety systems such as fire sprinkler systems and fire alarm systems.
- ICC codes and NFPA codes with extensive knowledge in construction, code interpretation and performance-based design.
- Forensic fire analysis in some cases.
- International Fire Code interpretation.
- International Building Code interpretation.
Expert Witness Experience
- Fire Sprinkler System - improper design and installation.
Undisclosed Company, Fire Protection Engineer, 2008 - Current
- Review of construction plans for commercial construction, subdivisions, water distribution systems, fire and life safety systems in conformance with International Building Code, International Fire Code, NFPA codes interpretation, NFPA standards, performance-based design and other applicable regulations.
- Review of technical reports such as fire and life safety assessments, statistical fire risk analysis, egress analysis, technical hydraulic reports, industrial/chemical processes, hazmat storage and use, air fueling operations, Fire Engineering Brief's (FEB), and related technical analysis.
- Perform inspections and commissioning of numerous fire and life safety systems such as fire sprinkler systems, dry, deluge, foam, and pre-action systems, fire alarm systems, smoke control systems, mass notification systems, multiple system integration, fire command centers, various clean agent systems, IR/video flame detection, FM-200 systems, UL-300 systems and passive fire resistance installations.
- Assist arson investigators in forensic fire origin and cause determination dealing with failure of structural, mechanical, electrical, fire alarm, fire sprinklers or other life safety systems.
- Provide support by utilizing NFPA 921 and computer fire modeling using Pyrosim, and FDS computational fluid dynamics based models to recreate fire event, or evaluate heat release rates(HRR), thermal radiation, ignition time, flashover time, etc.
- Public meetings: Development Review Committee and Planning and Zoning Commission and assisted in the development of ordinances, policies and adoption of fire code and its amendments.
Undisclosed Company, Civil Engineer, 2001 - 2007
- Perform review and acceptance of construction and development projects, city projects, master plans, drainage projects, subdivisions, commercial/industrial construction, plats, FEMA flood studies, county projects and many others.
- Extensive coordination with county staff and numerous agencies on a constant basis.
- Negotiates frequently with engineers, architects, developers, lawyers, contractors, politicians and, the general public.
- Development of the revised General Conditions for Construction Contracts currently used by the city, the city drainage design standards and the storm water pollution control ordinance.
- Evaluation of city infrastructure, construction inspection and review of addendums and change orders until final acceptance.
- Manager of the City's Phase II Storm water discharge program, the state of NM is one of 2 states that report directly to the EPA under this program.
- Design of several drainage structures as the engineer of record. DPW representative for local development review boards and committees.
Honors & Publications
- LEED AP BD C v3
- Certified Fire Plans Examiner (ICC)
- Certified Fire Inspector (ICC)
- Certified Fire Instructor (State of NM)
- Licensure & Qualifications for Practice Committee (NSPE)
- Holds a minor in philosophy and studies in ethics, language, and religion.
- Southwest region representative on the NSPE Board of Ethical Review, widely regarded as the most authoritative body of knowledge regarding engineering ethics.
- New Mexico Professional Engineer, (Civil & Fire Protection Engineering) NCEES International record.
- Spanish (spoken)
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Society of Fire Protection Engineers
- National Society of Professional Engineers
- International Code Council
- National Fire Academy Alumni
- International Association of Arson Investigators (NM)
- Order of the Engineer
- Green Building Certification Institute
- New Mexico Fire Marshals Association
- Bataan Memorial Death March, WSMR - Participant
- Board of Ethical Review, Vice Chairman (southwest regional representative - NSPE)
- Professional Engineers in Government (southwest regional representative - NSPE)
- Fire/Performance/Wildland-Interface Interpretation Committee - International Code Council (ICC)
Publications and Patents
- Author of publications in news periodicals and magazines.
- B.S. Civil Engineering, New Mexico State University, Las Cruces, NM
National Fire Academy
- Fire/Arson Origin & Cause Investigation, Emmitsburg, MD
- Fire Dynamics - Fire Modeling, Emmitsburg, MD
- Evaluating Performance-Based Designs, Emmitsburg, MD
- Fire & Life Safety Plan Review, Taos, NM