- Battery design and manufacturing: cell internal design, battery pack system design, manufacturing audit, regulatory and safety, different battery chemistries.
- Primary and rechargeable battery chemistries: lithium ion, lithium iron phosphate, lithium titanate, nickel magnesium cobalt, magnesium, ultra capacitor, magnetic capacitor, nickel cadmium, nickel metal hydride, lead acid, fuel cell, zinc air.
- Energy storage architecture and applications: Power off grid, grid attached, Notebook, NetBooks, Smart phone, Electric Scooter, Electric transportation, PDA, Servers, Blue tooth devices, battery pack thermal management ( phase change material, forced air coolant, liquid coolant, active thermal management).
- Green energy and renewable energy integration, green energy, and renewable energy integration, solar ( PV Panel ( mono and poly crystalline), solar thermal system, concentrated PV, trackers, thin film modules), wind, electric vehicle, fuel cell.
- Battery management systems: Power Control System (PCS) integrating, power supplies, ( AC/DC, Buck, Boost), inverter, and integration (single and 3 phases - string, central, grid-tie, Micro).
- Start- up and large company process development and Improvement.
Undisclosed Company, Advanced Product Development Manager, 2010 - Present
- Technical Manager of, the Innovative Energy Storage Systems (IESS), a start-up line of business spun-off.
- IESS is a renewable and traditional energy integration, and prioritization of use of sources, loads (AC, and DC) and energy storage.
- Architect systems and implemented new battery technologies (chemistries such as LTO, magnetic capacitor, ultra capacitor, LFP, LiMnO2, NMC, and large format cells).
- Developed with Marketing Vice President, a strategic multi-year plan, including derivative projects and brand support products for the ongoing content and enhancement of core product. Created three years technology roadmap.
- Defined strategies for new markets as community energy and off grid, silent watch, military battery applications, renewable energy integration, levels I and II chargers.
- Managed product operations and support of internal development.
- Recruited, maintained, mentored and lead a group of five outstanding engineers and consultants (EE, ME, System, and software engineers) to execute the innovations.
- Trained distribution channels on new products, managed internal and off-shore development on complimentary technologies.
- Exploited innovation in developing portfolios, commercialization of new products, working on manufacturing issues as processes and lines, other key assets suppliers and maximizing the company profit.
- Worked on research and development with teams from 3 universities, on new product concept ( basic and applied research).
- Directed test lab technicians, test engineers for UL, UN, CE, certification.
- Represented Company at customer presentations and numerous research committee meetings.
- Managed group developing Hi capacity batteries from 1 KWh, up to few MWh, UPS, Chargers, inverter integration.
- Architecture and development of battery management system (stationary and dynamic applications), and chargers.
- Led and directed a team that developed Power Control system unit (PCS), to integrate and prioritize the usage of renewable energy (solar, wind, fuel cell, batteries, harvested energy, vehicle DC power) with gen sets, AC power, and energy storage systems.
Dell Inc., Austin TX, Battery Development Manager, 2003 - 2010
- Built, coached, empowered, managed and directed Matrix cross functional global teams in reliability, manufacturing, safety, and ODM.
- Established procedures, processes and infrastructure and engaged in design reviews to ensure product design integrity, manufacturability, cost adherence, and reduced time-to- market.
- Products included Notebooks, NetBooks, Smart Phones, Tablets, PDA, UPS and Servers.
- Battery development followed DFSS, from concept to sustaining.
- Planning included risk and reward management plan and mitigation.
- Batteries developed used in products generating more than $50 Billion in revenue from new product development
- Development cost reduction of over $25 million a year.
- Battery complexity management of 40% part number reduction.
- Streamlining qualification tests and owner, 30% reduction of test time and $1million savings a year.
- 30% Tests reductions, and $1 million cost reduction by consolidating the tests and owners.
- Battery vendor self-qualification (VSQ) initiative, (vision to implementation) to incorporate suppliers better in the system development and ODMs to use suppliers more efficiently (disruptive business process with ODM and suppliers).
- Shortened development time two months and reduced development cost $1million a year.
- Organized and chaired Dell battery vendor Self Qualification summit in Taipei.
- 40 % reduction of part numbers in 2009 from Battery complexity management.
- $10 million a year Battery development cost reduction by design changes.
- Gap analysis,and closure plan for ODMs and vendors to transfer development to ODMs (disruptive business).
- Chaired and organized Quarterly Technology Review (QTR) for battery suppliers.
- Aligned suppliers with Dell's long term strategic planning.
- Battery Development representative in Quarterly Business Review (QBR) for ODMs, and suppliers.
- Established new innovations that resulted in 50 IP, 3 patents, 1 conference paper.
- Oversee battery field quality, corrective action and root cause.
- Used many testing tools, such as 5C, FMEA, Root Cause Analysis, SCP, design for experiment.
- Introduced new generation and new technology cells to Dell (such as higher capacity, charge voltage, long life.)
- Familiarity with all major regulatory and safety bodies (UL, IEEE, CSA, CE, BAJ, KC).
- Audited new ODMs and suppliers, developed, managed and closed on gap analysis and improvement plan.
Hi-Tronics Designs, Inc., Budd Lake, NJ, Senior Design Engineer, 2002 - 2003
- Developed medical electronics, and implantable devices.
- Designed short range RF, MICS band, and rechargeable batteries.
Motorola, (Symbol Technologies, Inc.) Holtsville, NY, Senior Analog Engineer, 1996 - 2002
- Developed rugged devices used in hand held devices, PDA, mobile computing, forklift, off terrain vehicle, UPS, intrinsically safe, and medical.
- Developed: AC/DC power supplies, DC/DC convertors (Buck, Boost, and Switchers), inverters.
- Member of Energy Key Technology group member, responsible for electrical aspect of batteries, chargers and AC/DC power supplies used in company global design centers.
- Managed suppliers, and five direct reports including Technician, Engineers and Consultants.
- Saved $10 million per year for four years from managing many cost reduction programs.
- Generated $150 million from new market penetration in consumer market and USPS program.
Andrea Electronics Corporation, Long Island City, NY, 1994 - 1996
- Sr. Staff Engineer, - Noise cancellation.
Polytechnic University, Brooklyn, NY 1992 - 1994
- Research and Development, Research Assistant - Optical communication.
Manhattan College, Riverdale, NY, 1986 -1992
- Electrical Engineer Instructor
Honors & Publications
- Post Graduate Diploma Techniques (DEST), Electronics, CNAM, Paris
- Six Sigma Green Belt
- Fluent in French and Arabic
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- International Society for Optics and Photonics, (SPIE) Order of Engineer, IEEE
Publications and Patents
- Educational and equipment publications
- 3. U.S. Patents
- Ph.D. Physics, (Laser, Optics), Polytechnic University, Brooklyn, NY
- M.S. Electrical Engineering, Manhattan College, Riverdale, NY
- DEST Electronics, CNAM, Paris, France