- Research chemist with over 30 years of management and technical experience related to catalysis and process chemistry.
- Managed up to 11 professionals (6 Ph.D.) in $3 million research program.
- Demonstrated track record to deliver technology from bench-scale invention, to pilot plant to commercialization.
- Proven record of technical and leadership accomplishments.
1, 4-Butanediol Process Chemistry and Hydrogenation Catalysis
- Manufacture of butanediol (BDO) from butane by oxidation of butane to maleic anhydride, hydrolysis to maleic acid, followed by hydrogenation of maleic acid to make 1,4-butanediol.
- Manufacture of butanediol (BDO) by the BP GEMINOX™ process.
- Expert at GEMX™ hydrogenation catalyst technology, research and development, scale-up and in-plant commercial manufacturing.
- Senior technologist for GEMINOX™ technology.
- Managed BDO research and development program during research, development and commercialization phases.
- Co-inventor of numerous patents for butanediol production.
- Contacts and knowledge of key catalyst vendors.
- Managed BP research and development program of BP/Lurgi joint butanediol development and manufacturing program.
- Key member on Lima BDO plant Start-up Team, Turnaround Team, and Close Plant Support.
- BDO Product Specialist and contact for Crisis Management Team.
- Advanced BP Chemicals gamma butyrolactone (GBL) technology through pilot plant scale.
Acrylonitrile Process Chemistry
- Established process chemistry research program in support of nitriles acrylonitrile process.
- Implemented two process improvements in 1992 and 1993 that resulted in $1 million incremental income per year.
- Established research program on vinylic monomer stabilization. Work resulted in major process modification implemented in 1992 to improve plant reliability. Key safety issues presented to customers and licensees.
- Co-developed and commercialized BP's HPLC acetonitrile purification technology.
Independent Consultant, 2005 - Present
- Provide consultation to major chemical company in the field of hydrogenation catalysis and process chemistry.
BP Chemicals, 1999 - 2005
- Senior Research Associate - Global Derivatives Technology.
- Senior Technologist -- BP Chemicals BDO GEMINOX™ Technology
Manager, Derivatives (Team Leader) - Nitriles Division, 1988 - 1999
- Managed research and development program for BP Chemicals in BDO and acrylonitrile process chemistry.
- Senior Technologist for BDO research team.
- Distribution of effort on butanediol and acrylonitrile programs was equally divided between catalysis and process chemistry.
BP Chemicals/SOHIO, Manager, Process Chemistry, 1985 - 1988
- Established and supervised major research program for upgrading maleic anhydride to higher value derivatives.
- Developed and supervised research program for upgrading acrylonitrile and co-products.
- Supervised research project on improved ammonia synthesis catalysts.
Research Associate/Project Leader, 1979 - 1985
- Conducted exploratory catalyst research on novel routes for HCN manufacture.
- Developed methods for incremental production of HCN in acrylonitrile process which was commercialized by BP Chemicals.
- Technical leader of syngas-to-oxygenates research program. Developed novel routes to plasticizer alcohols from syngas.
- Supervised research program in molecular sieve synthesis. Program transferred to corporate research group.
University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky
Assistant Professor of Chemistry
University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario Canada
- Postdoctoral Fellow
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Chemical Society
- North American Catalysis Society
- Organic Reaction Catalysis Society
- BP Chemicals Technology Roadshow
- BP Chemicals Silver Award for Innovation
- BP America Innovation Award, "Best in Class"
Publications and Patents
- 13 Publications
- 17 U.S. patents
- Ph.D. Inorganic Chemistry-Organometallic, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
- B.A. Chemistry, DePauw University, Greencastle, IN