- Gypsum board (dry wall, sheet rock, wall board).
- Cement (Portland, cellular, Sorel).
- Ceilings (acoustical, suspended).
- Fiberboard (MDF).
- Flooring (vinyl, tile, linoleum, cork, adhesives, waxes).
- Insulation (pipe insulation, foamed rubber, urethane, phenolic, aerogel).
- Paints and coatings (latex, epoxy, melamine, acrylic, textured, urethane, biocides, surfactants).
- Bottle caps (child resistant, tamper evident, plastic, metal).
- Bottles (plastic, glass, jars).
- Invented and patented acoustical cement and gypsum panels.
- Developed new building products, from concept to production, including ceilings, flooring, and insulation.
- Technical manager of a $5 million project to product light weight wallboard in Europe.
- Established protocols for the selection of new biocides resulting in modifications to ASTM standards.
- Developed and produced building materials comprised of phase change, recycled or renewable materials.
- Formulated latex paints for acoustical and textured applications.
- Designed and fabricated equipment as needed.
Testing to National Consensus Standards
- Oversight and regulations for UL, ASTM, NFPA and CPSC: abrasion resistance, accelerated aging, acoustics, antibacterial and antimicrobial, chemical resistance, child resistance, color analysis, compression resistance, digital scanning calorimeter, dimensional stability, fire resistance, formaldehyde content, freeze thaw, glass fracture analysis, gloss, impact resistance, nail pull, pyrotechnics, rheology, rodent resistance, slip resistance, stain resistance, tamper evident, tensile, thermal kinetics, wind uplift.
- Certified Pyrotechnics Guild International safety instructor.
- Instructed over 600 students on safety regulations per NFPA 1123, 1124 & 1126, including proper handling and ignition of fireworks.
- Experienced in manual and electric ignition, close proximity, computer-controlled choreography and special effects including high explosives.
- Autoclaving (gas fired), ball milling, bead blasting, blow molding, bottling, calcining, calendaring, coating, compression molding, conveying (roller and belt), critical extraction, drying (microwave and conventional), embossing (chemical and mechanical), extrusion, foaming, Fourdrinier, grinding(cryogenic and conventional), heating (induction and conventional), injection molding, lithography, machine guarding, machining, metal punching, mixing (Autocon, change can, Henschel, Hobart, pulpers, static, V-type), painting (textured, airless and air assist), pressing (hot, cold, hydraulic, mechanical), pumping (diaphragm, gear, impeller, peristaltic), refrigeration, rubber compounding, sawing (circular, band, diamond), sieving, static dissipating, ultrasonic welding, ultraviolet microscopy.
Independent Consultant, Present
Robson Forensic, Lancaster, PA, Associate, 2008 - 2010
- Provide technical investigations, analysis, reports, and testimony towards the resolution of litigation and claims involving product liability, material failures, workplace safety and pyrotechnics.
Armstrong World Industries, Lancaster, PA, Senior Scientist, 1988 - 2010
- Developed new products from concept to production for the core businesses of ceilings, insulation and flooring.
- Directed safety programs resulting in world class safety performance.
Kerr, Lancaster, PA, Associate Chemical Engineer, 1977 - 1988
- Research and development of packaging materials including: glass bottles, plastic bottles, metal closures, bottle caps, home canning lids, child resistant and tamper evident systems.
- Conducted accelerated aging, chemical compatibility and failure analysis.
- Managed CPSC protocol testing for child-resistant closures.
Pyrotechnics Guild International, Certified Safety Instructor, 2004 - Present
- Instruct classes and hands-on demonstrations covering safety regulations per NFPA 1123, 1124 and 1126, including proper handling and ignition of fireworks.
Fireworks Extravaganza, Inc., Maryland Line, MD, Lead Shooter, 1999 - Present
- Perform public fireworks displays. Experienced in manual and electric ignition, close proximity, computer-controlled choreography and special effects including high explosives.
Honors & Publications
- Certified Safety Instructor, Pyrotechnics Guild International
- Surfactant Science & Technology Course, Surfactant Associates
- Global Gypsum Conference
- Inorganic-Bonded Wood Composite Materials Conference
- World of Concrete, Annual Conference
- Patent Law Course, Center for Professional Advancement
- Smart Coatings Conference, Coatings Research Institute
- Society of Cosmetic Chemists Conference
- Associates - Chemical Engineering, Penn State University, PA.
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Chemical Society - ACS
- American Concrete Institute - ACI
- PGI (Pyrotechnics Guild International - PGI
- National Fireworks Association - NFA
Publications and Patents
- Published articles in American Fireworks News.
- Currently hold seven patents.
- B.S. Chemistry, ACS Accredited, Millersville University, Millersville, PA