- Systems engineer with extensive experience developing advanced communications systems from integrated circuits to international networks.
- System definition, specification, integration and verification.
- Wireless communications systems, networking, and communications protocols.
- Cellular/PCS, from AMPS, TDMA, CDMA, GSM, PHS to UMTS, LTE and WiMAX.
- Wireless data: 802.11/Wi-Fi, 802.16/WiMAX, Bluetooth, Zigbee, SMS and paging.
- Internet: TCP/IP, enterprise networking, and network management.
- Satellite networks and terminals.
- Wireless applications: voice, data, location services, wireless local loop, and enterprise.
- Expert support for intellectual property development, evaluation, and litigation.
- Standards contributor: IEEE, TIA, MIL-STD, 3GPP and 3GPP2.
- Hands-on project management and business development.
- Development and instruction of college and private courses in wireless and telecom for: University of Wisconsin-Madison, University of California-San Diego and University of Phoenix.
Communications Design and Analysis
- Classical "systems engineering" work, including requirements definition and specification; functional partitioning; hardware/software high level design; interface definition; algorithm development; performance analysis.
- Products range from components, through modules to systems.
- Standards development: Represented companies' interests in standards bodies, including 3GPP2 (CMDA 2000), 3GPP, MIL-STD-188-182 (UHF Satcom DAMA on 5 kHz Channels), ANSI-JSTD-014-1996 (PACS), TIA JSTD-036 (Enhanced Wireless 9-1-1 Phase 2). Primary author of several standards in the IEEE 1609 series Wireless Access in Vehicular Environments.
- Technical and editorial contributor too many Bluetooth test specifications.
- SCADA/telemetry system designs. For example, for a large metropolitan utility company, evaluated product offerings to support a robust wide area wireless monitoring and control network. Client has since implemented the recommended architectural approach using commercial cellular packet data services as the primary communication medium.
- Cellular smart phone design. Lead systems engineer on second generation (AMPS/TDMA/CDPD) consumer product, responsible for defining cell phone features and data modes, power management algorithms, user interface design and processor/memory choices.
- Cellular handset location determination system. Generated a document set defining the requirements for locating cellular handsets to 125 meters in accordance with FCC mandate on wireless Enhanced 9-1-1 (E911), including system, subsystem, and interface specifications.
- Wrote test scenarios used by several major carriers for evaluation, acceptance and integration of E911 equipment.
- Network design and analysis. For two-way messaging start-up, designed national wide area network in support of a new wireless messaging/email deployment; developed capacity analysis, business case support, and protocols.
- For medical enterprise, analyzed network configuration/utilization and developed roadmap for increased security and capability, including routers, switches and firewalls.
- Performed similar architecture tradeoff for rural electrical utility.
- Performed technical due diligence on pre-IPO and established companies, resulting in recommendations toward investment or acquisition. Individual deals valued in seven digits.
- For clients considering new products and services, performed market and partnership studies, including wireless E911 (cellular handset location), Personal Handyphone System (PHS) products, wireless local loop, and airborne voice communications business.
Management - Functional and Project
- In support of the Bluetooth Special Interest Group, responsible for developing documentation and process guidelines, reviewing new specifications, contributing to qualification documentation and web site.
- As functional head of systems engineering group, responsible for career development, staffing, and reviews of 30 systems and test engineers (concurrent with project/technical activity).
- Project lead for 12 engineers, plus subcontractors, in hardware identification and acquisition, software development, and system integration over two years for a military multi-continental intranet, later attached to the Internet.
- Software Development. Have written a significant volume of software.
- Designed and built code in various environments using different methodologies, including C/C++, DOS/Windows, Unix, VMS, Fortran, HTML, and Visual Basic.
- Familiar with CASE tools, compilers, debuggers, emulators, problem trackers and so on.
Integration, Test, Certification
- Author IT plan and protocol test cases for early Bluetooth implementation.
- Developed a similar plan for a CDMA module. Wrote a test plan used for the formal qualification of a Bluetooth Baseband product.
- Collected and analyzed field interference data for 900 MHz vehicle location system; defined and executed cellular network characterization tests.
- Developed integration and trial (First Market Application) test plans for new features for multiple nationwide cellular carriers; managed the execution of same.
- Supported various aspects of the Bluetooth SIG's Qualification Program for seven years.
- Intellectual property and litigation support.
- Provided patent feasibility and value analysis, identification of potential inventions, and technical support during the patent application process.
- Support for legal teams of multiple clients in wireless patent infringement litigation, including identification of prior art, claim chart development, alternate implementations to avoid infringement, Markman hearing, court filings, and expert report.
- In pre-litigation; researched existing products and performed tests and analysis to evaluate possible infringement.
Independent Consultant, 1997 - Present
Pacific Communication Sciences, Inc. San Diego, CA, 1994 - 1997
Titan Linkabit, San Diego, CA, 1991- 1994
TRW, Inc., Redondo Beach/Carson, CA, 1988 - 1991
Hughes Aircraft Co. Fullerton, CA, 1981 - 1988
Honors & Publications
- Co-inventor of 3 U.S. patents, with multiple patent applications pending.
- M.S. Electrical Engineering (Hughes Fellow), University of Southern California, CA
- B.S. Electrical Engineering, University of Cincinnati, OH