- Systems software: operating systems, distributed systems and middleware; virtualization and cloud technologies.
- Specializing systems software for multicore platforms, including asymmetric and heterogeneous multicore (i.e., with GPUs, communication accelerators, crypto and other System-on-Chip (SoC) integration).
- Hypervisor implementation issues for multicore and SoC/embedded platforms (e.g., smartphones, in-Vehicle devices).
- Cloud computing software stacks - provisioning, migration, billing, dynamic management, programming models (MapReduce/Hadoop).
- Resource management: CPU scheduling, memory, I/O and device management.
- Green computing, power-awareness, energy/power-centric management, at individual node or datacenter/cloud platform level.
- High-performance I/O, InfiniBand and other high-end fabrics, for HPC or other domains requiring high-performance communications.
- Experience with broad application domain: HPC, enterprise apps, financial trading, social networking.
Expert Witness Experience,/b>
- Internet TV, Time-shift TV, Video-on-Demand system. Hired by firm representing the investor and patent owner, in case against company performing development of technology based on these three patents.
- Performed patent review and technical review of the work conducted-to-date.
- Provided assessment of feasibility to meet investment goals, and deliver product.
- I/O virtualization and consolidation solution. Hired by firm representing investor funding filling of patent. ~Technical patent review and survey of related work.
- Object-oriented operating system design and implementation. Hired by firm representing litigator in patent litigation case involving large technology company. ~Performed review of several patents and related work, establishing timeline of certain innovations. Case settled so no court appearances.
Undisclosed Institute of Technology, Research Scientists, 2004 - Present
- Leads research in: Systems software - operating system and virtualization - for modern multicore platforms, including those with GPU, communications, or other accelerators; resource management at individual node-level, as well as datacenter and cloud level; cloud computing topics: provisioning, programming models, storage and I/O management, energy-efficiency, distributed and hybrid clouds; high-performance I/O, active and adaptive middleware; pervasive clouds, based on embedded and mobile devices, for gaming, in Vehicle, sensor/streaming, and other application domains.
- Primary and Co-Primary Investigator on research projects funded by and/or in collaboration with Industry (Intel, IBM, HP, VMware, NVIDIA, Cisco, Motorola, Nokia, Samsung, Intercontinental Exchange, etc.) and government agencies (Department of Energy, National Science Foundation).
- Teaches courses on operating systems, advanced operating systems, high-performance communications; supervised/advised over 50 undergraduate and graduate (M.S. and Ph.D.) students in research projects.
- Reviewer for funding opportunities and grants for National Science Foundation and Department of Energy.
- Review for international journals (transactions of computers, transactions of parallel and distributed systems, journal of parallel and distributed systems).
- Program Committee Member and/or Organizing Committee member for over 40 international events, workshops and conferences (Hot interconnects, I/O virtualization, Symposium on Parallel and Distributed Processing, Cloud, Cluster and Grid Computing, Supercomputing, etc.)
Undisclosed Institute of Technology, 2004 - Present
- CS4210 Advanced Operating Systems (modified).
- CS8803 Graduate Introduction to Operating Systems: Class covers advanced topics in design and implementation of operating and distributed systems, including multi-threading, high-level synchronization, inter-process communication, memory and I/O subsystems, etc.
- Lectures are based on select textbook chapters and top-tier conference and journal publications, and the practical component includes a set of major programming assignments.
- CS6210 Advanced Operating Systems: Graduate-level course which covers advanced topics in design and implementation of operating and distributed systems.
- CS4803/CS8803 High Performance Communication: Course covers a broad range of topics in high-performance communication, ranging from architecture and devices, interconnection networks, network interfaces and network processors, protocols and standards, middleware support and driving applications from the scientific and enterprise domains, and evaluation tools. It includes a student-defined project based on the Intel IXP programmable network processors, InfiniBand infrastructure,or other programmable networking platforms.
Korea University, Seoul, South Korea, 2007
- CS8803 High Performance Communication for Embedded Computing: HPC course which focuses on high-performance communication topics for embedded computing systems - from wireless, mobile, personal devices, to embedded devices in high-end systems and industrial settings. The course is part of the GT Masters in embedded computing.
- CS4240 Compilers and Interpreters: Main undergraduate level compilers class, attended by CS and ECE seniors and graduate students. Topics include techniques for the design and implementation of compilers and interpreters, with consideration of the particular characteristics of widely used programming languages. The class includes a major project component, which is the incremental development of a compiler in ML.
- CS3300 Introduction to Software Engineering: Introductory software engineering class which includes a team based semester long project to expose students to main software engineering principles and practices.
Graduate Teaching Assistant, 2000
- Shared responsibility for projects, lectures, exams, homework assignments, and grades.
- CS4210 Advanced Operating Systems, undergraduate level.
- CS6210 Advanced Operating Systems, graduate level.
Saints Cyril and Methodius University, Greece, Research Assistant, 1998
- Development of a distributed distance education platform, a "Virtual Classroom", using object based technology and mobile Java based agents. (Project funded under EU TEMPUS program).
- Consulting for patent litigation, technical research for patent preparation or litigation, technical review of external investors, technical review for projects under consideration by financial investors, (topics ranging from operating systems and architecture for multicores, smartphone operating system and middleware solutions, internet TV, time-shift TV, video-on-demand, virtualization and I/O virtualization, cloud computing, map-reduce technologies, energy-aware management).
- Technical consulting on topics including wire-speed network processing, device virtualization, high-performance I/O and cloud computing topics in financial electronic trading applications.
Honors & Publications
- Macedonian (native)
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Institute of Electrical Engineers (IEEE)
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
- Usenix Symposium on Internet Technologies (USENIX)
Publications and Patents
- One book and over 50 publications: International conferences (e.g., Symposium on Cloud Computing, Hot Interconnects, Cluster Computing, Cloud, Cluster and Grid Computing, Distributed Computer Systems, Network Computing and Applications, Multicore SoC), workshops (e.g., I/O Virtualization, HPC Virtualization, MobiCloud), and journals (e.g., SIGMETRICS Performance Evaluation Review, Multimedia Tools and Applications), book chapters (chapter on Linux OS for Andrew Tanenbaums' Modern Operating Systems, Datacenter Thermal and Energy. Management, Autonomic Computing).
- Ph.D. Computer Science, Georgia Institute of Technology, GA
- M.S. Computer Science, Georgia Institute of Technology, GA
- B.S. Electrical and Computer Engineering, Saints Cyril and Methodius University, Greece