- Medicinal Chemist with a proven track record of success in the synthesis and design of medicinal drug candidates.
- Provide creative and innovative solutions to chemistry challenges including the safe design, conduct, interpretation and technical evaluation.
- Significant synthetic research experience in multi-step milligram to multigram quantities of intermediates and products, diversity design, crystallographic modeling and experience with protein-protein interactions.
- Molecule design in partnership with pharmacology and moving projects forward in a collaborative, dynamic team setting.
- Establish new areas of intellectual property for therapeutic targets in drug discovery design.
- Manage and communicate scientific results in a personable and scientific format while providing strong analytical skills.
- SAR, structure design for favorable pharmacological properties.
- Patent searching and evaluation for competitive intelligence.
- Chemical toxicology in human and the environment (marine and agricultural).
- LCMS, GCMS, automated column chromatography, HPLC, IR and NMR spectroscopy from microgram to kilogram scale reactions.
- Researcher and co-inventor for over twenty-five patent applications and patents are in areas of oncology, Alzheimer's disease, analgesia and neuronal protection and enhancements.
- Continuous flow reactors, reverse phase HPLC analytical methods and supercritical fluid chromatography (SFC).
Undisclosed Company, Executive Director and Consultant, 2012 - Present
- Oversee a Biotechnology business centering on innovation in academia and industry on a global platform.
- Promote and implement lab safety architecture at contract institutions.
- Establish, plan, and prioritize the overall IT goals and strategies for the organization.
- Early stage product development.
- Consults within The CECON Group, Idea Connection and academic institutions.
West Chester University, West Chester, PA, Professor of Chemistry, 2012 - 2014
Chemistry and Heterocylic Chemistry Research
- Convene, educate and engage key constituencies on chemistry to achieve course objectives and implications of developing/expanding the consumer footprint.
Ursinus College, Collegeville, PA, Professor, 2013 - 2013
- Environmental Chemistry and Medicinal Chemistry Project (OIDD).
IdeaConnection, Victoria, BC, Canada, 2011 - 2012
- Problem solver: Identify, review, and troubleshooting for bacterial control challenge.
Hoffmann-La Roche, Nutley, NJ, Research Scientist, 2007 - 2011
- Design innovative synthetic scaffolds for oncology drug candidates.
- Synthesis of novel pyrrolidine scaffold for MDM2-p53 protein-protein interaction.
- Compound currently in Pre-Clinical Development as new generation Nutlin for clinical candidate.
- Understand and make design choices that fit the strategic context while keeping in mind the company culture.
- Recognized value levers of information technology adoption, including business process automation, information science, collaboration and mobility. On the leading edge of understanding advanced technologies and practices (training staff).
- Demonstrated thought leadership in creating and capturing value through platforms, networks, experimentation and co-creation while being a team player. Able to deal with strategic, technical and change management issues.
- Adept at managing diverse relationships across expertise, geography and culture.
- Synthesis of novel pyrrolidine scaffold for MDM2-p53 protein-protein interaction. Compound currently in Pre-Clinical Development as new generation Nutlin for clinical candidate.
- Proficient at NMR for proton, fluorine, carbon and 2D experiments. Routinely use HPLC for preparative work (Gilson), Analogix for column chromatography purification, LCMS, Genevac for library synthesis, LIMS, GC/GCMS.
- Diversity design and parallel synthesis to increase productivity and success of analogs.
- Active in utilizing computer programs to find trends in SAR (Spotfire, WebStar, and PDT).
- Utilized skills in patent intelligence, including defensive patent strategy for Roche MDM2 program.
- Evaluated flow technology and trained scientists on H-Cube Technology (ThalesNano) for discovery chemistry.
Johnson & Johnson PRD, LLC, Spring House, PA, Research Scientist, 1994 - 2007
- Design innovative synthetic scaffolds for CNS and analgesia drug candidates.
- Create and foster a collaborative atmosphere.
- Focused on outcomes (moving the business forward) while working as a trusted agent, acting with integrity. Open and receptive to listening and discerning pain points. Leader with ideas, evidence and examples derived by experimentation.
- Responsibility Statement: Explore and optimize synthetic routes for CNS and Analgesic drug candidates.
- Design and synthesis of secretase modulators for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease.
- Created novel 2-Aminoquinolines and other scaffolds as - secretase Inhibitors for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease.
- Initiated and implemented library design of ORL-1 partial and full agonists, core member of Discovery Team for novel series in clinical development.
- Cross-site collaboration on neuroprotection project and ORL-1 project.
- Discovered the first small molecule galanin receptor antagonist, currently used as an academic research standard.
- Received Vision Award for ORL-1Opioid Agonist research in clinical development.
Sterling Winthrop PDR, Collegeville, PA, Research Scientist, 1990 - 1994
- Responsibility Statement: Designed organic syntheses for anti-inflammatory drug candidates, including IL 1- drug candidate that went to preclinical trials at Vertex/Aventis.
- Using knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork to build business value.
- Establishment of a capability-driven intellectual property portfolio resulting in end to end processes to connect customer and product.
SmithKline Beecham, King of Prussia, PA, Medicinal Chemist, 1988 - 1990
- Responsibility Statement: Synthesized Angiotensin II Receptor Antagonists for cardiovascular research.
Honors & Publications
- Novel Enantioselective Synthesis of a Bicyclo[2.2.2]octane Scaffold Targeting the Natural Product (-)-Atisine, Bryn Mawr College.
- Stereospecific Tandem Cyclization for the Synthesis of Silphiperfolene and Atom Transfer Cyclization of Stabilized Radicals, University of Pittsburgh
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Roche Excellence in Chemistry Symposium
- ACS Metro Women Chemists Committee
- The Scientific Research Society Sigma Xi
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
Publications and Patents
- Over 30 publications and presentations submitted.
- 25 total issued and pending patents.
- Ph.D. Organic Chemistry, Bryn Mawr College, Bryn Mawr, PA
- M.S. Organic Chemistry, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA
- B.S. Chemistry, University of Maryland, College Park, MD