- Research Scientist with wide range of experience in molecular biology, molecular virology, recombinant DNA technology, genomics, vector biology and infectious diseases.
- Virology (plant, insect and animal viruses).
- Gene expression in plants and animals.
- Infectious diseases, neglected tropical diseases such as Malaria, Dengue Fever and Trypanosomiasis.
- Tissue culture (plant, insect and mammalian).
- Recombinant DNA
- Techniques used in recombinant DNA and biotechnology research such as DNA/RNA extraction, PCR, qPCR, molecular cloning, RNA and DNA sequencing, use of modification and restriction enzymes, site directed mutagenesis, various nucleic acid and protein detection techniques (Northern, Southern, Western analysis, ELISA), expression of proteins in E.coli and in Baculoviruses.
- Virology techniques (plant, insect/animal viruses).
- Expression vector design and construction.
- Small scale protein purification (filtration, column chromatography, enzyme activity assays).
- Tissue culture techniques (plant and animal).
- Insect manipulation techniques.
- High density oligonucleotide microarrays.
- RNA interference (RNAi) methods.
Undisclosed University, School of Veterinary Medicine, Present
- Senior Scientist, Pathobiological Sciences, (Grant Award, Publications), 2000 - 2009
- Senior Scientist Plant Pathology (Publications, Patent), 1996 - 2000
- Senior Scientist (Grant Award Publications), 1987 - 1996
- Associate Scientist, Institute for Molecular Virology (Grant Award Publications), 1982 - 1987
- Senior Scientist Institute for Molecular Virology (Grant Award Publications), 1978 - 1982
Madison Area Technical College, Educator, 2010
- As a Research Scientist of over 25 years, designing and performing experiments, analyzing data, writing and reviewing research papers, grant proposals, presenting seminars, training and supervising students and post doctoral fellows.
- Principal investigator (PI) in research funded by United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) and National Institutes of Health (NIH).
- Major research accomplishments include:
- Identified and determined the sequence of a ribosome binding site and cap structures that are involved in eukaryotic mRNA translation.
- Demonstrated that a virus of insect origin replicates in ten different species of plants.
- Developed novel viral vectors for gene expression and use them as tools for functional genomics in plants and medically important insects.
- Research funding awards from National Institutes of Health (NIH), United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) and Department of Defense.
Honors & Publications
- Certificate of Bioinformatics
- Multicultural council, UW-Madison (Certificate)
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Member American Society for Virology
- Member American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene
- Invited as a Biotechnology Consultant to India in by the United Nations Development Program (UNDP).
- Recipient of NIH grant, USDA grant and NIH postdoctoral fellowships.
Publications and Patents
- More than 30 Publications in peer reviewed reputed journals.
- Patent Inventor: U.S. and International patent.
- Ph.D. Biochemistry, University of Calcutta, India
- M.S. Biochemistry, University of Calcutta, India
- B.S. Chemistry (Honors), University of Calcutta, India