- Experienced polymer scientist with special product and application focus on wire and cable, polymers for solar photovoltaic systems, ethylene copolymer and elastomer compounding, fluoropolymer resins and flame retardants.
- Expert in wire and cable compound development.
- Expert in the technology of solar photovoltaic encapsulant materials.
- Expert in fluoropolymer product applications, such as DuPont Teflon® fluoropolymer product line.
- Skilled in non-halogen flame retardant technology.
- Well versed in ethylene copolymer/elastomer compounding technology and crosslinking.
- Expert in applications and chemistry of ethylene vinyl acetate polymers.
- Found a new end-use in solar photovoltaic modules for an ionomer-nylon alloy that improved performance over existing products.
- Identified wire and cable market opportunities by applying new flexible PPS polymer alloy technology to wire and cable applications.
- New technology development, such as reducing the modulus of ionomers without compromising opticals for resolution of a shortcoming in solar photovoltaic modules.
- Solid consulting skills with demonstrated strength working with customers to solve technical problems.
Independent Consultant, 2005 - Present
- Technical support for Teflon® fluoropolymer resins for Delaware Marketing Services, a DuPont Distributor of Teflon® fluoropolymer materials.
- Consulting on many areas of polymer technology and applications.
Du Pont Inc., Wilmington, DE, 1972 - 2004
Technical Consultant, Ethylene Vinyl Acetate (EVA) Polymers, 1988 - 2004
- Technical focus on polyolefin type ethylene vinyl acetate copolymers (EVA) for wire, cable and solar photovoltaic encapsulating applications.
- Developed product applications and provided technical consulting services to customers for EVA copolymer products.
- Solved technical problems related to EVA compounds, EVA curing and flame retardant technologies.
- Improve EVA products and resolved technical issues related to use as an encapsulant film for photovoltaic arrays.
- Found a new end-use in solar photovoltaic modules for an ionomer-nylon alloy that improved performance over existing products and consulted with a major module manufacturer to qualify the new technology, resulting in two U.S. patent applications.
- Developed new technology to reduce the modulus of ionomers without compromising optical properties for resolution of a shortcoming in solar photovoltaic modules resulting in a U.S. patent application.
- Led an effort to identify and resolve a DuPont EVA resin product performance issue resulting in new product specifications and improvement in EVA resin quality.
- Identified market opportunity for applying new flexible PPS polymer alloy technology to wire and cable applications. This new approach resulted in three U.S. patents that were licensed to a major chemical company with an attractive royalty payment to DuPont.
- Eliminated the need for expensive curing equipment by application of aminosilane moisture cure technology to wire and cable applications. Awarded a U.S. patent and identified long-term market potential.
- Led cross-functional 7-member quality improvement team for EVA resin. Researched and tested sampling techniques and equipment to identify the best option, resulting in investment and installation of $750,000 of sampling and camera equipment at two plant sites.
- Technical end-user selling to electric utility industry representing Nordel® EPDM rubber as insulation for electric power cables.
Technical Consultant and Senior Technical Specialist, 1981 - 1988
- Technical expert for Viton® fluoroelastomer and Vamac® ethylene acrylic elastomer in automotive and other applications.
- Customer consultant and product technology specialist.
Senior Research Chemist, 1978 - 1981
- Research and development chemist at the Louisville KY manufacturing site.
- Experience with neoprene rubber emulsion polymerization.
Senior Research Chemist/Research Chemist, 1972 - 1978
- Research and development activities at the Wilmington Experimental Station with focus on Viton®, Vamac®, Hypalon®, performance elastomer, Neoprene® rubber, Nordel®, hydrocarbon rubber and Hytrel® polyester elastomers.
- Technical developments in elastomer adhesives and rubber curing materials and curing technology.
Honors & Publications
- Post-Doctoral Studies in Organic Chemistry, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Chemical Society
- Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE)
- Automotive Engineers Cable Task Force of SAE
Publications and Patents
- 9 U.S. Patents.
- 15 Publications.
- Ph.D. Organic Chemistry, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL
- B.S. Chemistry, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC