- Fire Engineer providing training in fire, emergency medical, hazardous materials and confined space rescue issues.
- Occupational safety and health expert.
- WMD specialist in chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear and explosive incidents.
- OSHA Training Instructor; 29 CFR 1910, 1915 and 26 OSHA regulations.
- High hazard surveys and NFPA compliant testing.
- Expert witness and deposition experience for cases in World Trade Center disaster, chemical clean up.
Expert Witness Experience
Provided expert witnessing, forensics and deposition for various cases:
- Public Safety-Methamphetamine clean-up efforts and the effects.
- Service: Selected as an expert witness and litigation support professional. Case: World Trade Center Disaster Site Litigation.
- Seeking unreasonable, unsafe and inadequate services and practices associated with closure of sixteen field offices before the State of Indiana.
- Fire safety as it relates to spontaneous combustion of cloth products and organic oils/greases.
- Firefighting techniques, extinguishing agents and personnel protective equipment selection.
- Personal protective equipment selection, training and use - specifically the reduction in injuries occurred by wearing assigned personal protective equipment.
- Emergency medical service (ambulance based) assessment of protocols and the need for removal of patient clothing during medical assessment.
Principal Consultant, 2010 - Present
- Provide professional level comprehensive practice in 29 CFR 1910, 1915 and 26 OSHA regulations in the form of consultations, compliance audits, curriculum development, related training to commercial and industrial clients.
- Provide and manage damage control (fire, hazmat, rescue), emergency response planning, training and services.
- Provide support to legal teams working on occupational safety and health related cases.
- Commercial diving project management, diving manpower, diving safety and training services for safety related projects.
- Management of the safety function of contract facility turnaround and outage activities.
- Site threat analysis, executive protection consulting/service management, private investigation management/services and site security consulting/management and services.
- Manage armed security services for executives.
- Qualifying agents, private investigations and security guards for individual states in the Department of Public Safety.
- Commercial, security and underwater crime scene diving project management, diving manpower, diving safety and training services for; safety, port security and crime scene related projects.
- Safety functions of contract facility turnaround and outage activities.
- Voluntary Protection (VPP) consulting and gap assessments to client companies.
- Fire and Explosion investigative services and training.
- Management of Special Operations and Rescue Team (SORT) services. Service elements include:
- Tactical Carbine and Pistol
- Emergency Medical
- CBRNE Hazmat
- Rescue Diving and Security Diving
- Rope Rescue and Confined Space Rescue
- Rescue Boat Operations
- Emergency Vehicle Operations
McCulley, Eastham & Associates, Inc.,Greenup, KY, CEO, 2002 - 2010
Positions: Chief Executive Officer, Safety Professional II, Senior Safety Professional, Vice President of Special Operations
- As Chief Executive Officer and Managing Principal provide Board Administration, supporting operations and administration, advising and informing Board members, interfacing between Board and staff, and supporting Board's evaluation of Chief Executive.
- Program, product and service delivery: Oversee design, marketing, promotion, delivery and quality of programs, products and services.
- Financial, tax, risk and facilities management: Recommends yearly budget for Board approval and prudently manages organization's resources within those budget guidelines according to current laws and regulations.
- Human resource management: Effectively manages the human resources of the organization according to authorized personnel policies and procedures that fully conform to current laws and regulations.
- Community and public relations: Assures the organization and its mission, programs, products and services are consistently presented in a strong, positive image to relevant stakeholders.
- As Managing Principal: Directs national and international technical industrial rescue teams, fire brigade teams, commercial diving teams and hazardous materials response teams' operations.
- Manages academic contracts with the University of Nevada-Reno Fire Science Academy and Eastern Kentucky University's OSHA Training Institute.
- Performs or approves industrial site surveys with concentrations on hazardous materials, medical and fire safety issues.
- Consults with municipal and industrial fire and rescue protection groups on matters of restructuring and improving the efficiency of their operations on a national and international basis.
- Reviewed and preplanned confined spaces at industrial sites during and before scheduled maintenance periods and delivered safety oversight to client companies and their contractors or manage professional employees in said tasks.
- Assessed emergency readiness for industrial customers.
- Instructor: Workers' compensation, loss education and insurance audits for high hazard facilities or manages employees that are performing said tasks.
- Produced risk management programs for extremely high hazard customers
- Assessed facilities for security and access control abilities.
- Examined operational control procedures for critical components and developed protection plans for identified at-risk components.
- General industry and construction industry consultations.
- Developed and implemented health and safety programs for client companies.
- Instructor for radiological and nuclear awareness, HAZWOPER, SCBA and confined space entry and rescue courses.
- Complex occupational investigations and fire and arson investigations.
- Trained client management in fundamentals of safety and acceptable safety practices.
- Developed and delivered custom health, safety and management programs for client companies.
- Project management services for the health and safety function of major projects for companies; AK Steel, ~ABARTA Oil & Gas Company, Inc., Wieland Daveco, Kvaerner Songer, International Chimney, Kerrina, ~International Paper, Munroe and Veolia Corporations.
- Previous positions held include Safety Professional II and Senior Safety Professional, Vice President of ~Special Operations and Chief Operating Officer.
Ashland Fire Department, Ashland, KY, Fire Engineer, 1994 - 2014
- Shift Commander responsible for the 24-hour shift operations of three fire stations and their assigned personnel.
- Hazardous Materials Incident Command Level Responder.
- Trained as a WMD Specialist in chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear and explosive incidents.
- Coordinated the City of Ashland's Special Operations and Rescue Teams (SORT). The technical elements of SORT are hazardous materials response, SCUBA diving operations, swift-water rescue and high angle technical rope rescue operations.
- Coordinator of the City of Ashland's Emergency Medical Technician Program responsible for the initial training and recertification requirements of 54 department members.
- Commander of the City of Ashland's Fire Prevention Bureau responsible for the Fire Inspectors, management of completing 1300 annual fire inspections annually and all fire protection plan reviews for the City.
Recruit School Instructor
- Conducts high hazard surveys, NFPA compliant testing and OSHA/EPA consulting for department.
- As a Shift Commander, directed strategic level activities for structural fire attack, medical response, fire origin and cause determination as per NFPA 921 and technical rescue/Haz-Mat response in each of the three fire districts contained within the City of Ashland.
- As the need presented, worked as acting Deputy Fire Chief and acting Fire Chief.
- Developed standard operating procedures/guidelines and developed annual budget calculations for areas of responsibility as a Battalion Chief.
- Scientific research in the area of engineered and managed physical fitness/health programs, producing empirical data for use in program development and purchasing - research has been published in the United Kingdom.
- Ranks held include Fire Engineer, Battalion, Fire Captain, and Fire Fighter.
College of Health and Human Services, Ohio University, Ironton, OH, 2009 - Present
Adjunct Faculty for Department of Public Health Sciences and Professions.
- Instructor for the Health Technology - Occupational Health and Safety Track, Associates of Applied Science Program.
Developed Program Instructor
- Environmental Safety
- Industrial Hygiene
- Occupational Health and Worksite Health
- Health Laws and Regulations
- Bioterrorism, Disasters, and Health, Re-developed course (HLTH119)
- IH200 Industrial Hygiene
- EH260 Environmental Health
- EH275 Environmental, Occupational and Health Laws and Regulations
- HLTH300 Worksite Health
- Environmental, Occupational Health Laws and Regulations
- Introduction to Public Health
- EH4400 Occupational Safety and Health
Eastern Kentucky University Training Institute, Richmond, KY, 2004 - 2009
- OSHA Training Instructor, instructs classes for Eastern Kentucky University's OSHA Training Institute (OTI) Education Center in the areas of lock out/tag out, machine guarding, OSHA 500 / 501, 510 / 511, 502 / 503 GI and Construction, respiratory protection, confined space, hazardous materials response, fall protection and industrial emergency response, among others.
- Instruct US Army and Air Force Combat Readiness and Safety Center courses on safety, emergency response and rescue.
Fire Training LLC, Ashland, KY, Partner, 2007 - 2004
- Provides advanced flammable liquids and gas firefighting training to the oil and gas industry.
- Designed and built a world class FLAG mobile trainer and supporting training programs that allows students to experience life-like emergency situations while safety is maintained at the highest levels.
King's Daughters Medical Center, Ashland, KY, Safety and Security Officer, 2003 - 2004
- Protecting life and property of all persons on Medical Center premises and patrols of medical campus to prevent fires, theft, vandalism, illegal entry and enforcement of parking/driving regulations.
- Other Training: Taser gun training, remote camera systems, metal detectors, Certified Healthcare Security and Safety Officer (International Association of Healthcare Security and Safety), use and maintenance of bulletproof vests and Helipad procedures for landing medical helicopters, this training applied to all facets of protection such as pharmacies, banks, retail outlets, educational facilities, office buildings, industrial areas, and child care centers of the medical center.
AK Steel, Milwaukee, WI, Training Coordinator, 2001 - 2003
- For Johnson Controls, Inc., Deputy Fire Brigade Leader responsible for fire, emergency medical, hazardous materials and confined space rescue issues training.
- Developed response plans and preplans for industrial applications and consulted on technical life safety, environmental and OSHA documents.
- Reviewed site access control and security plans for compatibility with life safety plans.
Professional Fire, Ashland, KY, Fire Protection Specialist, 1996 - 1998
- Senior consultant and training specialist for industrial fire and life safety issues.
- Developed custom training programs in the areas of oil/gas well damage control, healthcare facility fire and life safety and gas pipeline industry fire protection.
- Assessed industrial, light manufacturing and medical facilities for proper fire protection infrastructure and advised on fire protection and damage control strategies.
Greenup County EMS, Greenup, KY, Emergency Medical Technician (EMT-B), 1994 -1996
- Served as the Senior EMT on Basic Life Support Unit and as a Junior EMT on Advanced Life Support Unit.
Russell Fire Department, Russell, KY, Fire Captain, 1992 - 2017
- Manage the operation and response of one (1) satellite fire station equipped with one (1) engine company and one (1) tower/ladder company. The station has 16 assigned firefighters.
Honors & Publications
- A.A. Applied Science in Fire/Rescue Science Technology, Ashland Technical College, Ashland, KY.
- Certified Safety Professional Designation, BCSP, Savoy, IL.
- Registered Professional Industrial Hygienist, Association of Professional Industrial Hygienist.
- Center for Public Excellence, Commission on Professional Credentialing, Chief Fire Officer Designation (CFO).
- U.S. Department of Labor Occupational Safety and Health Administration Occupational Safety and Health training Course Instructor.
- National Certification Board, National Association of Fire Investigators, Sarasota, FL,Certified Registered Fire and Explosion Investigator.
- Certified Fire Protection Specialist, Columbia Southern University, Orange Beach, AL, Commonwealth of Kentucky, Office of the State Fire Marshal, Fire Prevention Inspector.
- Kentucky Certified Emergency Medical Technician.
- Professional Association of Diving Instructors (PADI), Certified Rescue Diver.
- International Association of Nitrox and Technical Divers (IANDT), Advanced Nitrox Diver.
- National Under Water Rescue-Recovery Institute, Rescue, Advanced Search & Recovery Investigations.
- Public Safety Diving Association and Water Rescue, Certified Public Safety Diver I.
- SCUBA Schools International (SSI), Certified Dry Suit Diver.
- Multinational Diving Educators Association (MDEA), Certified Commercial Diver Level II and Diving Instructor.
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Member, International Association of Fire Fighters
- Professional Member, American Society of Safety Professionals
- Association of Professional Industrial Hygienists
- Member, International Association of Hazardous Materials Technicians
- National Association of Fire Investigators
- Member, Kentucky Oil & Gas Association
- Journeyman/Commercial Diver, Ashland Kentucky Local 472, United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America
- Recognition by the House of Representatives of the Commonwealth of Kentucky for demonstrating extraordinary courage, Recognizing member of the House of Representatives.
- Appointed as a biographical candidate to represent Ashland, KY in the Manchester Who's Who Among Executives and Professionals, and for inclusion in the "Honors Edition" of the registry.
- Recognition by the Senate of the Commonwealth of Kentucky for Laboring With Such Distinction in Service of His Fellow Citizens, Recognizing Member of the Senate,.
- Recognition by the House of Representatives of the Commonwealth of Kentucky for the many contributions made while working in stewardship to his profession and towards protecting the lives and property of the citizens of his community, Recognizing member of the House of Representatives.
- Recognition by the Senate of the Commonwealth of Kentucky for distinguished service rendered on the behalf of the Ashland Kentucky Fire Department as a respected Engineer, Recognizing member of the Senate.
- Author of 9 training manuals, presentations, conferences, college courses, and research papers.
- MBA Public Administration, Columbia Southern University, Orange Beach, AL
- B.S. Occupational Safety & Health, Cum Laude, Columbia Southern University, Orange Beach, AL