- Senior Plastics Consultant with a marketing and finance MBA.
- Extensive new business and application development of polyolefins, bringing 28 years of experience.
- Created a technical team for a grassroots polypropylene plant.
- In depth understanding of polyolefin products, processes and applications.
- Detailed knowledge of the consumer, medical and industrial polyolefin markets.
- Technical and marketing support to Asia, South America and Africa for over seven years.
- Merger and acquisition evaluations.
Undisclosed Plastics Consulting Company, Principal, 2010 - Present
- Building a polyolefin consulting practice focused on medium sized converting companies that provide market intelligence and technical troubleshooting.
Townsend Solutions, Houston, TX, Director of Polypropylene Consulting, 2008 - 2010
- Profit and loss responsibility for single and multi client polypropylene consulting to plastics producing and converting companies.
- Grew sales in the compounding and automotive markets.
Basell NA, Elkton, MD, 1989 - 2007
- Filling the positions of: Market Program Manager and Sr. Technical Service Engineer.
- Led new polypropylene product and business development and field service for the Consumer Medical and Industrial markets.
- Anticipated the need for high productivity clarity resins in the media packaging market.
- Launched a new resin with $12 million a year sales.
- Identified and grew new consumer and industrial accounts with sales greater than 50 million lbs./year.
- Maintained strong technical relationships with key accounts defending profitable business, reducing claims and increasing market share.
- Championed product formulation improvements saving of $1 million a year.
- Created and analyzed quarterly profit reports by customer and market.
Technical Service Manager, 2000 - 2003
- Supervised a team of five experienced technical service engineers.
- Managed an annual budget of $1 million, reduced costs 20%.
- Documented $5 million year of value generated by technical service.
Market Development Specialist, 1996 - 2000
- Developed new business for specialty polypropylene resins in the building, construction and geomembrane markets.
- Created and implemented the strategy, tactics and business plan to grow the existing business from $3 million a year to $20 million a year in three years.
- Established development partnerships with key companies.
- Wrote technical papers, support literature and presentations targeted for engineering design firms.
International Technical Support/Market Development Manager, 1989 - 1996
- Networked technical support for International accounts, supervising a $1.5 million a year budget.
- Developed over $11 million per year of specialty resins business in oriented polypropylene film and fibers.
Huntsman Chemical, Marysville, MI, 1981 - 1989
Product Development Manger, 1987 - 1989
- Established, organized, staffed and equipped the technical group of a grass roots polypropylene polymerization plant.
- Developed over 20 new polypropylene resins with high performance additive formulations, controlled rheology and reactor TPOs.
- Obtained resin approvals at GM, Ford and Chrysler.
Process Development Engineer, Paramus, New Jersey, 1981 - 1983
- Developed a process for making LLDPE in a polypropylene pilot plant.
- Scaled plant up to a semi-commercial plant and successfully started up the facility.
- Formulated medical and mineral filled polyolefins.
Werner & Pfleiderer Corp., Ramsey, NJ, Compounding Process Engineer, 1983 - 1987
- Developed and optimized co-rotating twin screw designs and process configurations for compounding thermoplastic resins.
- The sale of million dollar extrusion systems depended on a successful design.
Merk & Company, Rahway, NJ, Process Engineer, 1979 - 1981
- Supervised six operators in a pharmaceutical plant.
- Trained in Good Manufacturing Practices and FDA regulations.
Honors & Publications
- Systematic molding, RJG, Traverse City, MI
- Karrass Negotiating, Basell, Elkton, MD
- Six Sigma Black Belt, Tyco Healthcare, Mansfield, MA
Publications and Patents
- Author of articles and one patent application in the areas of: Geosynthetics, Geomembranes and polypropylen resins crystallization.
- M.B.A. Finance/Marketing, Rutgers University, Newark, NJ
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO