- Medicinal chemistry, process research and development, and organic synthesis.
- Drug discovery, including small molecule structure-based design and SAR optimization in collaboration with CADD, biology, ADMET, and informatics teams.
- Design and synthesis of complex organic compounds for medicinal applications.
- Rational, structure-based drug design and development.
- Design and execution of optimized, scalable, safe chemical processes for drug intermediates and APIs at multi-kilogram scales.
- Synthesis of substituted aromatics, aliphatics, heterocycles, fluorinated analogs, oligopeptides, cyclic peptides, peptidomimetics, organosilanes, organometallics, chiral compounds and inorganics.
- cGMP synthesis and FDA documentation.
- Kinase inhibitors.
- PARP inhibitors.
- Cysteine protease inhibitors.
- Angiotensin receptor antagonists.
- Glycoprotein IIb/IIIa (GP2b3a) receptor antagonists.
- IP due diligence.
- Chemical Hygiene and Laboratory Safety; EPA, OSHA compliance.
- Hands-on expertise with the latest computer-integrated analytical and preparative instrumentation, including multi-probe high-field NMR, FT-IR, LC-MS, HPLC, MPLC (ISCO), and RP-HPLC (Gilson).
Undisclosed Company, Senior Scientist, 1994 - 2010
- Drug Discovery Group Leader, Medicinal Chemistry Department.
- Supervised technical and professional staff within multi-disciplinary teams.
- Discovered and developed novel, patented kinase inhibitors (ALK, cMet, JAK).
- Discovered and developed novel, patented PARP-1 inhibitors; co-inventor of CEP-9722, in clinical trials for adjuvant cancer therapy.
- Invented and developed 1,2-Benzothiazine-1,1-dioxides, a patented NCE for Calpain-1 inhibitors as potential stroke therapy.
- Invented novel, patented Calpain-1 peptidomimetic inhibitors.
- Chemical Hygiene Manager, Laboratory Safety, EPA and OSHA compliance.
E. I. DuPont de Nemours & Co. Wilmington, DE, 1984 - 1994
- As Scientist and Senior Scientist at DuPont-Merck Pharmaceutical Co., Experimental Station Laboratory;
- Co-invented Losartan (Cozaar®), a blockbuster first-in-class all receptor antagonist for treatment of hypertension.
- Co-developed an optimized synthetic process for Losartan; co-managed synthesis of pre-clinical supplies.
- Discovered and developed cyclic peptides as glycoprotein IIb/IIIa (GP2b3a) receptor antagonists for potential antiplatelet medication.
- Process Research and Development Group Leader and Supervisor.
- Designed and optimized chemical process for NSAID clinical candidate, DuP-697.
- Delivered multi-kilogram cGMP and non-GMP supplies of various APIs and intermediates under deadline and budget for several pre-clinical and clinical candidates.
- Consulted vendor CRO for related activities.
Merck, Sharpe and Dohme & Co., Rahway, NJ, Research Chemist, 1979 - 1980
- Angiotensin Converting Enzyme (ACE) inhibitors; synthesized peptidomimetics and contributed to SAR activities helping lead to Enalapril®, a blockbuster drug for treatment of hypertension.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Chemical Society - Medicinal Chemistry Division, Organic Chemistry Division
Publications and Patents
- Over 30 peer reviewed publications.
- 14 drug discovery related patents.
- Various presentations at local and national conferences.
- Ph.D. Organic Chemistry, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
- M.S. Organic Chemistry, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
- B.S. Chemistry (With Honors), Susquehanna University, Selinsgrove, PA