- Expert coatings consultant, automotive, industrial trade sales coatings providing technical support in formulation, raw materials and product development.
- Coatings science and technology training.
- Automotive refinish coatings marketplace business structure, products and market drivers.
- Polymers, resins and oligomer development for coatings.
- Structure and property relationships for coating materials.
- Automotive clearcoat, finishes and refinishes specialty formulations.
- Painting and coatings testing, weathering, durability and performance studies per ASTM standards.
- Scale-up and process development for coatings manufacture.
- National and European paint and coating manufacturing experience.
- Management of vendor and customer technical business relationships and joint development programs.
- Technical support for coatings product liability and trade sales coatings in formulation, raw materials and product development.
Undisclosed Company, Founder, 2010 - Present
- Sole Proprietor of a consulting business providing technical support, training, and expert witness services to clients in the Coatings Industry.
- Business plan: Guide suppliers in the refinish, automotive and industrial coatings industry position and improve their products to meet the needs of their customers.
DuPont Company, Wilmington, DE, Philadelphia, PA, and Troy MI, 1987 - 2010
- Formulated and commercialized products that have contributed greater than $100 million in revenue for the DuPont Company.
- Technical Leader of the refinish clearcoat group during the development and commercialization of the DuPont HyperCure™ Clearcoat line, which set new standards in the marketplace for productivity.
- Developed a number of new polymers and oligomers with novel structures to enable lower volatile organ compound (VOC) coatings with improved productivity, resulting in 2 U.S.
- Managed technical supplier interactions as Vendor Coordinator. Work included: Acting as liaison between suppliers and the technical community to assure DuPont had the best available external technologies; Managing raw material supply programs to assure product availability; Working to maintain critical technical business relationships with key suppliers.
- Provided leadership as Lean Transformation Coordinator for lean simplification teams at DuPont Front Royal manufacturing plant, implementing process changes to coatings formulations for cost savings of over $100,000 annually.
- Six Sigma Green Belt certification, and have participated on ISO Quality Teams.
- Developed and formulated a family of Refinish Clearcoat products, coined ChromaClear™, the main refinish coating brand offered by DuPont refinish over the span of a decade.
- Developed DuPont's first low VOC clearcoat for the Heavy Duty Truck industry, employing a unique rheology agent to maintain appearance.
- Member of the Marshall Lab Recruiting Committee, trained in-depth interviewer and served as Technical Mentor to new chemists.
Honors & Publications
- Secondary Teacher Certification in Chemistry, Post-Baccalaureate program, West Chester University, West Chester, PA
- Doctoral Dissertation, University of Illinois: Supercritical Fluid Mixtures
- Six Sigma Green Belt
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Chemical Society
- American Coating Association
- Philadelphia Society for Coatings Technology
- Paint Mixer's Club of Philadelphia
- Philadelphia ACS Chemical Consultants Network
- DuPont Marketing Excellence Recognition Award
- Received a DuPont Marketing Excellence Recognition Award for the commercialization of HyperCure™.
Publications and Patents
- Co-author of nine (9) publications in the journals J. Phys. Chem., J. Mag. Res., ACS Symposium Series, ACS Division of Fuel Chemistry, J. Chem. Eng. Data.
- Invited Presentation: Philadelphia Society for Coatings Technology and Industrial Coatings Research Boundaries Symposium.
- Five (5) U.S. Patents.
- Ph.D. Physical Chemistry, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL
- B.S. Chemistry Miami University, Oxford, OH