- Over 20 years of Life Sciences experience in academia, government and biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries.
- Scientific discovery, development and marketing knowledge for pharmaceuticals and diagnostic equipment medical devices.
- Development of novel high-throughput screening products for crystallography, genomic, and proteomic technologies.
- Development of automated and miniaturized biologic testing kits for nucleic acid (DNA/RNA), PCR and other proteomic based assays.
- Life science intellectual property assessment and expert witness testimony; patent analysis, marketing and related business development.
- Scientific expertise is in the fields of physiology, biology, molecular biology, chemistry and biochemistry, genetics and proteomics.
- High-throughput automation technology and instrumentations related to:
- Consumables - plastic and reagents;
- Software and databases;
- Assay development and miniaturization;
- Genetics: Mapping, expression, analysis, sequencing and immunohistochemistry;
- Protein chemistry: Trafficking, sorting, analysis, crystallography, and metalloproteases;
- Biochemistry: Membrane biology, receptors, cell biology, cell-based assays, and microarray production and technology.
Undisclosed Company, (Consulting & Forensics), Founder and President, 2003 - Present
- Patent review, patent infringement, and intellectual property.
- Patent applications research and development.
- Medical product development, evaluation, marketing, (tactical and strategic) and business development.
Axygen - Corning, (Union City, CA, Director, 2003 - 2010
Business Development and New Product Development
- Started the Axygen Biosciences branch of the company offering over 500 novel high-throughput screening products (crystallography, genomic, and proteomic technologies) for life sciences and drug discovery.
- Built and managed five different departments. Established departmental policies, goals, objectives, and procedures. The company sold twice (sold to Corning for $400 million dollars).
Research and Development
- Developing novel reagents, consumables, kits, software, and automated high-throughput equipment for biotechnology/pharmaceutical industries and academic/government agencies.
- Developed Axygen Biosciences business goals/strategies/targets, contract negotiation, partnerships, licensing, OEMs, M&A, and co-marketing.
- Help in the identification, evaluation, analysis and execution of new business opportunities. And implementing strategies to enhance company value.
Sales and Marketing
- Direct sales and worldwide distribution of products including field service training.
- Average sales increase of 5% per year.
- Over 95% customer satisfaction with demos, installation and training.
Apogent Discoveries/Robbins Scientific Inc., Sunnyvale, CA, Director, 2001 - 2003
- Reporting to the CEO, Manager of three different departments, (Applications, Marketing and Customer Support), with more than 200 products and numerous concurrent projects.
- Hired, trained, and technically supported international sales specialists, distributors, field and bench scientists, engineers, marketing staff, technicians, and interns.
- The company sold for $96 million to Apogent.
- Developed, patented and launched numerous new products including the Hydra-Plus-One high-throughput automated instrument used for crystallography setup.
- Designed and implemented an ultra low volume, 500nl, sequencing 384-well plate resulting in $10 million sales in its first year.
- Developed, automated and miniaturized many nucleic acid (DNA/RNA), PCR, and proteomic based assays/kits (miniaturization of RCA reactions saved JGI $40 million/year).
- Developed microarray and nano-dispenser technologies.
- Initiated and maintained collaborations with customers for alpha and beta testing of innovative new technologies, applications, and assay development.
- Designed and implemented market research plans to help identify and evaluate market size and potential.
- Gathering, interpreting and reporting information on competitive products and companies.
- Analysis of various types of primary and secondary marketing research data.
- Produced more than 100 application notes, articles, publications, marketing pamphlets, and presentations for worldwide use to support the sales of existing and new products and to facilitate the interaction between the sales group and customers.
- Developed sales incentive programs, goals, procedures, guidelines, and timelines.
- Co-marketing and collaborations resulting in average 20% increase per year in sales.
Sales and Customer support
- Setup, supported, and presented all sales-created pilot studies for customers.
- Preparation and arrangement of all demos (92% of which resulted in sales), installations, training, and in-house and on-site customer support.
Transgenomic Inc., San Jose, CA,Director, 1999 - 2001
- Reporting to the VP of Sales and Marketing, directed several departments; Applications, Marketing and Customer Support.
- Built and directed an RNA/Molecular Biology Applications lab, managing more than 10 products and numerous concurrent projects.
- Managing, training, and supporting scientists, engineers, technicians, field application specialists, global sales specialists and distributors, interns, marketing staff, and graduate students.
- Developed new molecular biology/genetics and clinical applications for the WAVE (DHPLC) system for genetic testing, cancer diagnostics, population studies, linkage mapping, SNP and STR detection, oligonucleotide purification, PCR cloning, nucleic acids quantification and genotyping and RNA analysis.
- Patented and launched 3 high-throughput assays/kits (96-format), and an instrument for nucleic acid analysis, purification, stabilization and fractionation.
- Designed and generated scientific and technical information, publications, marketing pamphlets, and presentations.
Honors & Publications
- Fellowship: Genetics, Stanford University, CA
- Fellowship: Molecular Biology, University of Montreal, Canada
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Biotech and Pharma Professionals Network
- The Global Business Development Network
- Global Executive Exchange
- Laboratory Robotics Interest Group (LRIG)
- Society for Biomolecular Sciences
- Analytical Instruments Professional Network
- Chromatography and Spectroscopy Exchange
- Medical Device R & D, Regulatory and Quality Connections
- Start-ups and Entrepreneurs Get Funded
- Expert Witness Network
- Friends of the Forensic Expert Witness
Publications & Patents
- Over 100 peer reviewed scientific publications, abstracts, application notes and presentations.
- Reviewer for the Journal of the Association for Laboratory Automation (JALA).
- Ten (10) U.S. and International Patents.
- Ph.D. (Post), Department of Pediatrics Genetics, Stanford University and HHMI, Stanford, CA
- Ph.D. (Post), Medicine, Biochemistry, and Molecular Biology University of Montreal, Canada
- Ph.D. Physiology & Molecular Biology, McGill University, Royal Victoria Hospital, Montreal, Canada
- B.S. Chemistry and Biochemistry, (Great Distinction) Concordia University Montreal, Canada