- Kinetic modeling and reaction engineering analysis for process development and scale-up.
- Chemical process and catalyst patent review and analysis.
- Catalyst development and scale up.
- Development of green process technologies.
- Productivity and yield improvements in commercial technologies.
- Oxidation and epoxidation process technologies.
- Hydrogen peroxide production technologies.
- Amines production technologies.
- Production and reactions of organic hydroperoxides.
- Applications of zeolite and supported metal catalysts.
- Research and development project management from exploratory through pilot plant demonstration.
Independent Consultant, Present
Arco Chemical, Lyondell, LyondellBasell, Newtown Square, PA, 1981 - 2010
- A $50 billion manufacturer of chemicals, fuels, and polymers. World's leading producer of propylene oxide and derivatives.
Manager New Propylene Oxide Technology
- Initiated and recruited team with long term mission of inventing a direct oxidation process for propylene oxide with no co-products or toxic wastes, and less than 50% the capital cost of the existing commercial processes.
- Led group to invent and demonstrate at lab scale a new process replacing 5 reaction steps of the existing process with a single reaction step.
- Developed program with leading catalyst manufacturer to scale-up catalyst production for the single step process.
- Upgraded LyondellBasell's catalyst research and development capabilities by adding automated reactor equipment, advanced analytical tools, and training technical staff.
- Established new culture of collaborative inter-disciplinary innovation teams within research and development organization.
- Formed productive research interactions with catalysis and reactor engineering experts at major research universities.
- Led design, construction, startup and operation of a $7 million pilot plant to develop and demonstrate the integrated reaction and separations of the new PO process.
- Over 60 U.S. patents filed based on inventions of project team.
Manager/Principal Researcher PO and Derivatives Research and Development
- Managed group to support and improve company's proprietary propylene oxide and derivatives processes.
- Achieved 30% reduction of yield losses and upgraded safety and environmental performance of the commercial PO processes.
- Developed quantitative reaction models based on reaction kinetics and pilot plant studies, and implemented findings in commercial plants.
- Invented a new proprietary technology to produce hydrogen peroxide using a propylene oxide process intermediate.
Air Products and Chemical, Allentown, PA, 1977 - 1981
- Group Leader and Senior Research Chemist in Alkylamines Research and Development Department.
- Developed kinetics and reaction models for company's proprietary alkylamines processes.
- Led development of new process to produce alkylamines from olefins feedstocks'.
- Co-invented first application of a zeolite catalyst for shape-selective control of mono-di-tri alklylamines product distributions.
Honors & Publications
- Adjunct Associate Professor of Chemical Engineering, Widener University.
Publications and Patents
- 4 Publications
- 28 U.S. Patents
- Ph.D. Physical Chemistry, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI
- B.S. Chemistry, Magna Cum Laude, Westminster College, New Wilmington, PA