- Synthesis chemistry for personal care products.
- Expert in product applications in the personal care industry such as body lotions, deodorants, hand bactericides and sunscreens.
- Extensive knowledge of chemistry, formulations and use of antiperspirants, deodorants, lotions, silicones, esters, emollients, moisturizers and controlled release personal care products.
- Understanding of back-label regulations and how to establish INC names.
- Understands the connection between technology and commercial opportunity for success in personal care cosmetic industry.
- Expert witness for patent infringement and expertise to help define terminology and interpretation of technical information.
Undisclosed Company, Consultant, 2009 - Present
- Utilizing almost 40 years of experience in the personal care cosmetic industry; with particular experience on supply-side and consumer-side issues.
- Focused on siloxane and antiperspirant chemistry/application/customer issues; skin and hair formulation and claim support; and, back-label ingredient statements and INCI assignments.
Kao Brands Co, (formerly The Andrew Jergens Co), Cincinnati, OH, 1998 - 2009
- Sr. Principal Scientist and Technical Brand Leader for the Cure'l product line, responsible for all development and technical direction, including market research.
- Developed a new sub-brand of (4) products Cure'l Extreme Care) to solidify a newly purchased brand, resulting in first year sales of greater than $10 million.
- Redeveloped a line of 4 existing products and 3 new sub-brand products within 12 months for launch with estimated sales of $80 million.
- Developed new protocol to define performance criteria for hair.
- Developed and manage a close working relationship with Kao/Japan research and development and outside suppliers/institutions for co-development and commercialization of new products.
- Manage intellectual property for Product Development (including laboratory notebooks and confidential development agreements), and developed in-house technical training/educations as part of mentoring program.
Dow Corning Corporation, Midland, MI, Sr. Personal Care Industry Specialist, 1986 - 1998
- Directed technical product commercialization that resulted global silicone leadership in the personal care market, resulting in significant new product sales and market share growth.
- Identified customer needs and coordinated technical effort for new and existing products.
- Technical coordinator for key personal care customers, including Proctor and Gamble (P&G) L'Oreal, Estee Lauder Companies, Alberto Culver, and Unilever.
- Led cross-functional teams charged with improving quality of 2 resulting in quadrupling capacity, eliminating reject batches, and improving customer perception of quality and consistency.
- Coordinated technical business alliance activities in polymer entrapment technology and antiperspirants; growing business over 30% annually for 3 years.
- Key global customers managed were Proctor and Gamble (P&G), Gillette, Estee Lauder, Alberto Culver, and Unilever.
Wickhen Products, Huguenot, NY, R&D Director and Business Manager New Product, 1973 - 1986
- Supported 25% annual growth into new markets with existing and recommended new skin care products and technology.
- Invented new polymer entrapment technology resulting in 5 patents.
- Developed 25% annual growth into new markets with existing and recommended new product/technology.
- Started and headed up research and development department with 10 direct reports.
- Responsibilities also included analytical method development, raw material purchasing, and management of the pilot plant.
Amerchol Corporation, Edison, NJ, Chemist, 1970 - 1973
- Bench synthesis chemist responsible for alkoxylation, lanolin derivization, and glucoside chemistry.
- Developed new sunscreen.
- First to work on methyl glucoside chemistry in personal care industry.
Honors & Publications
- Contributing editor for R&D Highlights and Course Instructor
- Advisory Board & Contributing Regular Column Editor
- International Nomenclature Committee Chairperson
- Cosmetic, Toiletry, and Fragrance Association
- Hans Schaeffer Award; Society of Cosmetic Chemists - Most Innovative Paper
- Quality and Supply Improvement Award; Dow Corning Corporation
- Manufacturing Achievement Award; Dow Corning Corporation
- Controlled Release Society - Consumer & Diversified Products Technical Seminar Committee
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Chair of Personal Care Products Council International Nomenclature Committee
- Society of Cosmetic Chemist
Publications and Patents
- 17 patents on antiperspirants, functional siloxanes, controlled release technology, skin/hair formulation.
- Contributing author for 3 books and author of 1 book on subjects of antiperspirants, functional siloxanes, and dermatology.
- Over 50 global presentations on antiperspirants, functional siloxanes, skin care, hair care, color cosmetic, controlled release, innovation techniques, chemistry of cooking.
- Author of extensive list of published papers.
- M.S. Chemistry, State University of New York, New Paltz, NY
- B.S. Chemistry, Long Island University, CW Post College, NY