- Porous materials evaluations and use.
- Self-assembled biomaterials.
- Work with molecular halogens for fuel and chemical development.
- Zeolite synthesis and heterogeneous catalysis development.
- Catalytic systems and solid reactant chemistry.
- Gas-to-liquids chemistry.
- Air-free chemistry and related techniques.
- Polymer synthesis and sol-gel chemistry techniques.
- Combinatorial and parallel synthesis.
- Materials characterization techniques: GPC, MALDI-TOF, DSC, XRD, SEM, TEM, AFM, SPR, FTIR, NMR, thin film analyzer, CD, phase contrast and DIC optical microscopy and confocal microscopy.
- Thin film processing, spin, dip and spray-coat processing.
- Poly-dimethyl-siloxane (PDMS) soft-stamp technology.
- Sterile techniques and a variety of molecular biology techniques (PCR, cloning, genetic selections and protein purification).
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
Undisclosed Company, President and Founder, 2009 - Present
- Development of technology that deals with impending global carbon market unification preparing for a future multi-trillion dollar a year market in carbon.
- Technology focuses on two components: Creating new products from waste and CO2; and, CO2 identification technology for geo-sequestration projects.
VLP Biotech, Inc., CEO/President and Director, 2009
- Turn-around business. Developed comprehensive in-license agreement of a non-profit's IP portfolio.
- Developed pricing model, risk assessment and finance plan for start-up molecular vaccine technology.
- Focused outward engaging potential customers and partners resulting in a firm partnership with a major biopharmaceutical company.
BioSolar, Inc., Independent Consultant, 2004 - Present
- Consultant and scientific advisor related to development, research and development planning and IP generation.
- These companies are focused on short-term revenue generation and capital appreciation by entering the market with a competitive product in the cleantech space.
- Guide technologies focused on core infrastructure needs such as energy and CO2 mitigation.
- Development of renewable components for the manufacture of PV modules; first product to be launched is a composite backsheet made wholly from renewable resources.
Carbon Sciences, Inc., Chief Scientific Advisor, 2004 - Present
- Conversion of mineral waste materials into useful carbonates for the paper and plastic industries, and CO2 uses.
- Contributed to the founding IP and am active in developing new chemistry.
- Continuous active in securing international collaborators to help support process design.
Gas Reaction Technologies, Inc., Director of Chemistry, 2004 - 2006
- Oversee and direct all of the chemistry engaged by the company.
- Producing a catalytic system that efficiently converted natural gas to gasoline fuel additives or gasoline fuel with the halogenation (bromine) of methane and the subsequent conversion to fuel.
- Secure major joint development agreements with well-known chemical and petroleum companies and filed several patent applications, expanded technical team, discovered a highly selective light olefin catalysts and discovered and developed efficient halogenated methane to BTX catalysts.
SBA Materials, Inc., Chief Technology Officer, 2002 - 2004
- Performed all aspects of the business including lab build out, permitting and maintenance of an equipped and functioning laboratory.
- Responsible for building and running the technical group, grant and proposal writing and VC presentations.
- Recognized for:
- Securement of a VC term-sheet for $1.5 million.
- Identified relevant industrial contacts.
- Developed and secured paying and non-paying large industrial partners, with capabilities to manufacture and market products.
- Developed and executed milestone driven research and development programs.
- Conceived and reduced to practice commercial opportunities in low-k dielectrics, low refractive index films and gratings, composite films and controlled release devices.
- Managed all of the company's I.P.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Chemical Society (ACS)
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- Dissertation: Synthesis and studies of polypeptide materials.
- Author and co-author of peer reviewed articles, manuscripts and journals.
- 26 U.S. patents and applications.
- Ph.D. Materials, University of California, Santa Barbara, CA
- B.S. Microbiology, University of California, Santa Barbara, CA