- Plastic failure analysis.
- Plastic and plastic part reliability assessment.
- Overall plastics manufacturing operations management.
- Plastic manufacturing operation audit and recommendation.
- Plastic material selection and specifications.
- Design and start-up of plastic manufacturing facilities.
- Plastic product tooling design and development.
- Project management, material contract negotiations.
- Quality assurance, testing, SPC/SQC, ISO 9000.
- Research and literature surveys.
Expert Witness Experience
- Expert witness services to several law firms in cases involving product failures, products liability, patent litigation and personal injury.
- Cause and Origin determination.
- Short, concise, pertinent and economic reports, to minimize litigation exposure.
- Expert arbitration services.
- Expert advice and solutions to subjugate reoccurring claims.
- Represented defendant in a product liability case concerning failure of a coupling nut for a flush valve resulting in a major damage.
- For a product liability case that involved a cracked fitting of a drinking water system represented the defendant.
- Consulting services and expert witness in a case involving silicone bake ware that was imported from China.
- Representing the plaintiff, in a personal injury case resulting from a dislodged dumpster on a trash truck.
- Representing the attorney for defendant, in a personal injury case resulting from a falling off a plastic chair.
- A product liability case involving failure of an under sink water filter.
- In a patent infringement case, provided Expert witness and consulting services for a case concerning theater lighting products.
- For a fire insurance case provided expert witness and consulting services in a product liability case involving failure of PVC pipe and fittings resulting in major damage.
Independent Consultant, Consultant and Expert Witness, 1999 - Present
- Moldflow analysis, FEA, product design and development, failure analysis and tooling for a major dental device company.
- Rotary drive and motion control products in the area of product design, product enhancement, FEA and silicone key pads.
- New product design, material selection, moldflow analysis, finite element analysis and tooling procurement projects for major dental device company.
- Develop specialized Injection molding process for proprietary over-molded urethane parts for bionic and pain management technology firm.
- Research and development for a medical company involving of a micro molded part, and assisted in procuring tooling and prototype parts and evaluation of processing techniques.
- For an office products company, assisted with tooling procurement specifications, product improvement and evaluation of molding shops in Mexico.
- Consulting service for injection molder to evaluate, recommend, procure and implement ERP/MRP system suitable for manufacturing operation.
- For a major irrigation company, provided process and tooling support to resolve a major PVC molding problem.
- For a medical company specializing in blood filtration investigated the cause for premature failure of a critical plastic component using established failure analysis techniques. Evaluated tooling and process related problems and recommend and implement changes.
- Provided technical assistance in all phases of design, material selection, prototyping, tooling, vendor selection, assembly, qualifying, and manufacturing of a drug of abuse test cup and other allied products.
- For a conveyor component manufacturer using molding and extrusion, recruited, hired and trailed production manager. Set up tooling, material and process standards, established standard operating procedures, procure new tooling and debug and qualify new molds.
- For a food processing equipment manufacturer studied the premature failure of plastic turret parts made out of UHMWPE. Researched and recommended new material and helped with conversion and qualification.
- For a non-profitable plastic molder specializing in automotive lens molding and large parts, studied and analyzed the financial statements, overall plant operation and competence level of management team and prepare report and recommend changes.
- Expert witness services to several law firms in the cases involving product failures, products liability, patent litigation and personal injury.
Performance Engineered Products, Inc. Pomona, CA, President and Co-founder, 1981 - 1998
- Started custom injection molding business which grew to 27 machines and $8 million in revenue.
- Guided the daily operation of the entire manufacturing operation with 105 employees.
- Experienced at writing standard operating procedures, obtaining certifications, negotiating major contracts and developing business plans for growth and expansion.
- Oversight for client contact, job quotations, job proposals, coordinating projects and presentation of reports.
- Developed computer program for plastics molding operation.
- Researched and developed major cost saving programs for customers.
- Led personnel development and training.
Rain Bird Corporation, Glendora, CA, Senior Plastics Engineer, 1978 - 1981
- For plastics and polymers directed major cost reduction and product improvement projects.
- Provided technical services to entire engineering and quality assurance staff in the area of plastic material selection, product development, processing, plastic tool design and inspection techniques.
- Conducted failure analysis on field returns and established plastics test facility.
NIBCO Inc., Elkhart, IN, Plastics Engineer, 1973 - 1978
- Responsible for providing technical services and training to all the departments of the company.
- Set up PVC compounding operation, central packaging system, water-quenching process to lower cycle time, expanded injection molding and extrusion operations.
- Developed new formulations.
- Developed a computer program to analyze molds for cooling efficiency.
- Conducted plastics training seminars for engineers, inspectors and sales personnel.
- CAL POLY, Pomona Extended University, Instructor, Plastics Engineering Certificate Program.
- UC Riverside Extension, Instructor, Plastics Product Design & Tooling.
- Seminars - Micro molding, Emerging Technologies, Scientific Molding, Failure Analysis and product Liability prevention, Maximum Productivity Molding.
- Cerritos College, "Plastics Materials & Processes."
- SPI - Baja Symposium
- SME Technical Seminar and SPI Symposium
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- SPE, Honored Service Member (HSM). SPI, Professional Member, SPI Board Member
- Past President So Cal SPE Chapter. Past President of Northern Indiana SPE chapter.
- Served as publications chairman, and Board member of So. Cal. SPE chapter.
Publications and Patents
- Handbook of Plastics
- Contributing Author, Handbook of Material Selection
- M.S. Plastics Engineering, University of Massachusetts, Lowell, MA
- B.S. Plastics Engineering, University of Massachusetts, Lowell, MA