Emulsion polymerization, process development, scale up, process control and steam stripping.
- Emulsion polymerization operational excellence.
- Effect of mixing and process variables on polymerization process.
- Quality, SPC, productivity, process safety of emulsion polymerization processes.
- Ultra low VOV latex.
- Intellectual Properties (IP) landscape mapping, new process pipeline initiative.
- China joint venture (equipments modification, technology transfer, startup the new plant, training, raw material qualification, QC).
- Continuously polymerization condensation process development, scale up and production of rheology modifiers.
Particle dispersion process development (nano technologies).
- Pigment dispersion for coatings.
- Self dispersion pigment for ink jet applications including IP mapping, product invention, process development and plant production, resulting in 5 patents.
- Slurry for chemical mechanical planarization (CMP) and guided the interface between research and development and production.
- Highly efficient development (Six Sigma process), commercialization and production of new products related colloidal and dispersion technology.
Undisclosed Company, Owner, 2009 - Present
- Independent Consultant
Heubach Color Technology Co, Fairless Hill, PA Engineering Manager, 2006 - 2009
- Color pigment dispersion for inks and coatings (environment permits, production equipment modification, lean manufacturing, project manager for a new dispersion plant).
Cabot Microelectronics, Aurora, IL (2005), Particle Technologist, 200
- Chemical Mechanical Planarization (CMP) slurry for microelectronic chip manufacturing.
- Interface between research, development groups and production facilities.
Rohm and Haas Company, Bristol, PA; Spring House, PA; Louisville, KY, retired as Research Fellow, 1975 - 2004
Nano Particles Product and Process Research, 1998 - 2004
- Coating process research.
- Dispersion and control of nano particles.
- Nano technology product and process development.
- Manufacturing and isolation of polymeric nano particles.
- Polymer nano processing and application in colloids and coatings.
- Ink jet application research.
- Project Engineering Team Leader for new plant design and capital development of color dispersion plant.
Process Technologies Assessment, 1996 - 2002
- Conducted technology assessments in the business area of acrylic latex, polyurethane and polyester polymers.
- IP Strategy team member including Intellectual Properties (IP) landscape mapping.
- Established an intranet website that maintains literature and patents with heavy focus on emulsion polymerization technology.
- Directed a research and development process research pipeline initiative in response to competitors' current and potential technology threats.
- Proactively filed patent to establish the right of practice for future business needs.
- Polymer nano processing and application in colloid and coating.
Polymer Process Research, 1982 - 1996
- Primarily for acrylic polymerization processed and plants, developed intrinsic safe process through an integrated approach by considering chemical engineering principles, process safety methodology, process intensification, process control and waste minimization in design stage.
- Evaluated the effect of mixing in scale up and scale down of shear sensitive materials (emulsion polymer).
- Automated temperature control and dynamic model simulation of large emulsion polymerization reactor.
- Evaluated reaction calorimetric data for process safety and copolymer composition control.
- Good working knowledge of all major polymer characterization tools steam stripping-ultra low VOV latex.
- Plant support and operation excellence (Quality, SPC, Productivity, Process Safety).
- Knowledgeable of rheology modifiers (associate thickeners) reaction engineering and process development.
- Involved in several plant emulsion plant start ups.
Joint venture project, 1988 - 1992
- Managed a project with Rohm and Haas and Chinese acrylic monomer, latex and resin manufacturer.
- Business evaluation and technology assessment of Joint Venture (JV).
- Technology transfer (both process technology and product application technology), preparation of English/Chinese Standard Operation Procedure (SOP).
- Joint venture personnel training, plant modification and production startup, trouble shooting, and quality assurance.
- Involved with the Rohm and Haas Taiwan plant site selection and environmental permits.
Senior Plant Engineer, Louisville Plant, Kentucky, 1984 - 1985
- Acrylic and Butadiene/styrene emulsion polymerization process improvement.
- Large scale reactor automation project.
- Real time process control automation programming, process automatic punch out and start up.
Research Scientist Coatings Product Research, 1975 - 1982
- Research and development in coating products including latex and resin for coatings applications for coating binders, thickeners and pigment dispersants.
- Studied structure properties relationship of coatings such as effects of polymer composition, molecular structure, latex morphology and synthesis parameters, all as related to the adhesion, durability, corrosion resistance and gloss development of coatings.
- Studied effect of latex film formation process to coating properties.
- Studied fundamentals of house paint brush coating rheology.
- Studied coating rheology for industrial coatings --- air and airless spray, high speed direct or reverse roller coater and curtain coater.
- Developed coating products (latex and resin) for: Glossy maintenance, latex coating primer binder for protecting steel, coil coating (latex).
- Two of latex products that developed are still in top 10 sellers in Rohm and Haas Industrial coating product line.
Honors & Publications
Awards and Letters of Recognition
- Rohm and Haas, Special Award honoring outstanding effort and achievement resulting in filing of 21 patents and protection of company technologies.
- Recognition of the Pacific Region polymer process research.
- Contributions recognized in achieving the highest profitability.
- Acknowledgment of software development for the automatic reactor, successfully implementation of a very complex project.
- Otto Haas Award for Scientific Achievement, 2003 (the highest technology award in Rohm and Haas Company).
- National and International publications for journals in Polymer Mater Science, Colloid Interface Science, and one book chapter.
- 6 U.S. patents in emulsion polymerization.
- 5 U.S. patents in particle dispersion.
- 10 total U.S. patents.
- Ph.D. Chemical Engineering, University of Missouri, Rolla, MO
- M.S. Chemical Engineering, University of Missouri, Rolla, MO
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, Tunghai University, Taiwan