- Genomics and bioinformatics research and development:
- Statistics, bioinformatics and data analysis consulting and the use of centric analytical software design and development.
- Statistical analysis for bioinformatics, microarray, genomics, miRNA, systems biology, gene networks and biomarker developments.
- Statistical support in work related to high throughput genomics and proteomics.
- Statistics, experimental design, software design, user interface specialization, data acquisition, testing and validation.
Independent Consultant, Present
- Provide generation sequencing and bioinformatics services to scientists across the globe.
- Sequenced over 100 different species (not counting metagenomic projects), over 1000 samples/month processed and we book more than one new project a day, average sequencing.
Undisclosed Company, Founder, 2007 - Present
- Statistical life science, pharmaceutical, biotech industries support providing statistical analysis, experimental design, software development and custom work flow analysis for new and established products.
- Translation of biological problems into an analytical framework and leveraging statistics, computational biology, machine learning and computer science for problem resolution.
- Statical support for companies and universities working in the high throughput genomics and proteomics.
- Technical expertise and training in statistics, experimental design, analytical product development and software design.
Asuragen, Inc., Austin TX, Senior Manager: Statistics and Bioinformatics, 2006 - 2007
- Responsible for leading and managing the data analysis consulting group within Asuragen.
- Creation of all custom analysis statements of work, costing and pricing for all analysis projects.
- Served as the Bioinformatics project lead for DiscovArray®, the first commercial Affymetrix miRNA array, containing over 13k micro RNA.
- Development and testing of an image processing pipeline utilizing over 400 processing combination and developed a mathematical model to describe the relative contribution of each parameter to overall performance.
- Developed miRInform®, an automated data packaging and interactive exploration software tool that was launched as part of the DiscovArray product.
- Statistician for 510k FDA submission for Asuragen Diagnostics responsible for reviewing primary data before submission.
- Clinical experimental design project saved the company 1.5 million dollars.
- Development of four high throughput analysis tools for mRNA and microRNA microarrays.
- Proprietary analysis methods for mRNA and microRNA.
- Analysis arm of Asuragen, Inc. to the FDA Microarray Quality Control (MAQC) project.
- Led a biomarker development team to a significant number of patent applications.
- Oversaw the business development, marketing, and implementation of Ingenuity® Pathway Analysis product line.
- Developed co-marketing plan with Ingenuity to market our services through their sales team. Negotiated similar arrangement with MIT Broad Institute, to provide Gene Set Enrichment Analysis (GCEA) to our clients.
- Completed development of statistical SOPs in accordance with ISO 13485 and 9001 and FDA GLP guidelines.
Ambion, Inc., Austin, TX, Manager of Expression Bioinformatics, 2004 - 2006
- Responsible for leading and managing the Expression Bioinformatics group within Ambion.
- Establish and maintain the statistics and bioinformatics department, to provide pre- and post-sales support for the microarray services customer.
- Lead the biostatistics/bioinformatics research and development within the company.
- Recruited new talent and shape the statistics and bioinformatics department to align with the evolving needs of Ambion, Inc. in support the fast growing business.
- Oversee analysis, documentation, and presentation of customer data.
- Explaining data analysis and methods, experimental design methods and statistical issues to customers or prospects.
- Wrote or oversaw the writing of SOPs related to analysis and data processing, composed and edited GLP documents.
University of Louisville, Center for Genetics and Molecular Medicine (CGEM), 2004
Associate Director of Bioinformatics
- Provide expertise in microarray data analysis, and serve the CGEM membership in the planning, analysis of, and standard analytical protocol development related to bioinformatics.
- Oversight of employees of the bioinformatics core, project management, and CGEM member consultation.
- Responsible for the daily activities of the core, as well as serving as the intellectual bioinformatic and statistical lead for grant support across CGEM.
Senior Postdoctoral Research Associate, (Dept., Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), 2003 - 2004
- Responsible for planning, execution, analysis and oversight of bioinformatic studies related to computational gene-network model development and biological validation of interactive gene networks.
- Developed predictive models of toxicologically-induced atherogenesis using sophisticated computational and molecular tools, such as Affymetrix™ and GE Codelink microarray.
Texas A&M University, College Station, TX, Veterinary Physiology and Pharmacology, 1992 - 2003
Postdoctoral Research Associate, Computational Biology
- Responsible for planning, execution and statistical data analysis of toxicologically related microarray studies related to atherosclerosis and nephrogenesis.
- Provided direct oversight of all laboratory activities and personnel; implemented new software packages and microarray protocols that subsequently became standard for the laboratory.
Human Nutrition Laboratory Manager - Laboratory Technician, (Dept. of Animal Science), 1997 - 2000
- Responsible for operation of the molecular human nutrition laboratory.
- Use of molecular biological techniques to investigate the causes of human obesity primarily focused on mRNA expression.
- Responsible for all experimental animal surgeries, data collection, analysis, and management of all laboratory equipment, supplies and personnel.
Statistics Consultant: Public Health Needs Assessment Statistician< 1996 - 1997
- Responsible for statistical analysis for Saint Joseph Hospital Health Smart program utilizing SAS.
- Used SAS to read database information, analyze and create reports from several thousand health and personal profile information related surveys collected by TAMU undergraduates interviews.
- Establish public health priorities for local target communities.
Field - Laboratory Trial Research Manager: Research Assistant, 1994 - 1996
- For the Department of Soil and Crop Sciences: Responsible for continuation and completion of the Texas A&M cotton methanol program, entailing field trials, greenhouse, growth chamber and laboratory studies.
Manager: Research Associate, Biochemical Analysis Laboratory, 1992 - 1994
- Supervision of the biochemical analysis laboratory (including graduate students and student workers), selection of breeding lines for chemopreventive compounds and several other economically relevant traits using GC, HPLC, and number of other sophisticated biochemical tools.
- Responsible for all data analysis using SAS and MS Excel.
Clemson University, Sandhill Research and Education Center, Columbia, SC, 1988 - 1972
Field - Laboratory Manager: Agricultural Science Associate (Mineral Nutrition)
- Technical support of Clemson University's vegetable mineral nutrition program.
- Supervisor of all greenhouse/hydroponics systems, including development, maintenance and operation, field and greenhouse experimental design and implementation, and laboratory analysis using HPLC.
Honors & Publications
- Research animal surgery, aseptic technique, rodent anesthesia, rat/mouse handling, and radiation safety.
- National Merit Scholar in Agronomy
- McFadden Honor Scholarship in Agriculture
- Member of Gamma Sigma Delta Honor Society
- Society of Toxicology, Occupational Health Specialty Section Award for Best Abstract
- Society of Toxicology, Platform presentation SOT
Publications and Patents
- Published, 6 papers in (Nature Biotech)
- Authored and co-authored numerous books / chapters to college text books.
- 18 U.S. Patents.
- Ph.D. Agronomy, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX
- M.S. Horticulture, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX
- B.S. Agronomy, Clemson University, Clemson, SC