Food Process and Product Development
- Developing new food formulation and new food processes.
- Development of formulation and processes for non-fruited bakery fillings, icings, toppings, and release agents; coffee and juice; peanut butter; and fruit strips and ropes.
- Experience in fats (lipids), emulsifiers, sugars, maltodextrins, sugar alcohols, starches and gums.
Food Process Technology
- Bench and pilot lab work and process scale-up, process start-up and process / product optimization.
- Extraction, cooking, cooling, mixing and de-aeration.
- Understanding sugar bloom fat bloom.
- Evaporation, distillation for flavor and aroma recovery and concentration.
- Food usage and formulations that include fats (lipids), emulsifiers, sugars, maltodextrins, sugar alcohols, starches, preservatives, anti-oxidants, fillings, icings, toppings, release agents, protein isolates, coffee, juice, peanut butter and fruit.
- Heat exchangers and temperature management of food processes..
- Fat and sugar crystallization.
- Freeze-thaw formulation.
- Oil, water and gum emulsions.
- Formulation based upon water activity and pH.
- Food process and product quality assurance.
- Patents for food safety.
Food Product Development
- Partial lists of products developed: Taster's Choice Instant Coffee, Hills Brothers Ground Coffee, Nestea Instant Tea, Nestle Strawberry & Chocolate Quick, Heinz's Ketchup, Oscar Mayer Hot Dogs, Oscar Mayer XXL Hot Dogs, Mallet Cake and Bread Pan Release Agents, SunOpta Kettle Valley Fruit Strips & Ropes and protein isolate for processed cheese.
- Development of Kroger products: Icing, Frosting, Pie Fillings on all bakery items in Kroger Case; Cakes, Donuts, Kroger Garlic Spread, Nabisco Snack Well's Streusel Squares With Fruit/Icing/Pastry, Kroger Vinegar, Kroger Mustard including Dijon, Kroger Pickles, Kroger Tide, Kroger Wisk, Kroger Diapers, Kroger Peanut Butter, Kroger Low-Fat Peanut Butter, Kroger Low Sugar Peanut Butter and Ready-To-Eat Meat as related to food safety processes.
Undisclosed Company, Principal, Present
- Developing new food formulation and new food processes for various clients.
- Bench, pilot laboratory, and plant optimization, filling all positions simultaneously.
Gllanbia Nutritionals, Twin Falls, ID Scientist, 2010 - 2016
Scientist III, Food Process and Product Research and Development
- Oversaw whey protein fractions, protein gummies, protein fruit snacks, and protein nutritional bars.
- Received the Innovation Award for a Protein that reduces sugar by 50% in cereal clusters and cereal bars.
Sunopta Kettle Valley Dried Fruit, Inc., Omak, WA, 2007 - 2008
Manager, Process Research and Development
- Developed dried fruit strips and ropes in the pilot line and production line which used continuous processing.
- Products developed were in the 98% fruit range with no sweeteners added.
The Mallet and Company, Inc., Carnegie, PA Research and Development Director, 2004 - 2006
- Developing formulation and processing for agar/locust bean gum bakery stabilizers for icings and glazes as well as GMO free bakery cake and bread pan release agents.
- Directing a QA Manager and four QA technicians for product testing, customer assistance, specifications, HACCP, labeling and Bioterrorism Act Compliance.
Kraft Foods North America, Madison, WI, 1999 - 2003
Associate Principal Engineer, R&D Engineering
- Co-inventor with four patents for technology that enhance food safety of products at full production levels. ~Technology combine rapid surface steam pasteurization and antimicrobial sprays inside an Alkar Rapid-Pak packaging machine.
- Scaled-up multi-unit operation process from lab bench to pilot plant operation of two antimicrobial products to provide greater food safety, using centrifugation, and evaporation.
H&S Foods Inc., Cincinnati, OH, Consultant, 1984 - 1999
- H.J. Heinz Company: Solved filling operation problems for Heinz's Ketchup.
- Designed a de-aeration system and adjusted pump suction inlet techniques.
- Nabisco: Developed process and formula changes at the Stella Dora manufacturing plant in low fat dough, fruit filling, and icing on Snackwell's Low-Fat Streusel item which led to a national launch.
- Kroger Company: Developed the process and formula for a manufactured doughnut glaze.
- Taste panels demonstrated this doughnut glaze was equal to the best in the industry.
Kroger Company, Cincinnati, OH, Advanced Specialist, 1986 - 1996
- Responsible for process start-up and formula design.
- Designed batch/continuous process systems and formulas for 20 million pounds of new icings, whipped toppings and spreads.
- Developed the process and formulas for retail and bulk peanut butter, which doubled sales.
- Bulk customers include Kraft and Nabisco.
- Kroger Peanut butter was equal to Jiff on consumer test.
A.E. Staley Co., Decatur, IL, 1980 - 1983
Manager Research and Development Pilot Lab, Process Engineering
- Designed, developed, and operated a successful protein pilot lab scale-up based on a bench patent.
- Issued a process design scope for a $22 million soy isolate manufacturing plant.
- Process resulted in the first protein isolate that could replace sodium caseinate in melting cheese.
Nestle Co., Marysville, OH, Research and Development Process Engineer, 1969 - 1980
- Process and formula design/optimization for instant coffee, tea, protein and flavored drinks.
- Initiated, developed, and contributed to the design of a new Taster's Choice Coffee pilot and commercial pressurized counter current extraction.
- Developed an evaporator distributor that allowed equal tube loading. Increased evaporation efficiency 30%.
Honors & Publications
- 12 U.S. and Foreign Patents
- M.S. Chemical Engineering, Ohio State University, Columbus OH
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, University of Cincinnati (Cum Laude), Cincinnati OH