- Polymer modification specializing in thermoplastics including all engineering resins and some thermosetting resins.
- Polymer product development, particularity for reinforced thermoplastic systems and polymer blends.
- Polymer blends and alloys technology and formulations.
- PVC formulations and property modification and optimization with additives.
- Polymer rheology.
- Polymer processing, particulars extrusion and injection molding.
- Polymer analysis and characterization.
- Polymer composites.
- Plastic and polymer impact resistance; technology of improving fracture and toughening of polymers.
Independent Consultant, Present
Rohm and Haas Company, Spring House, PA, 1988- 2009
- Research Fellow/Distinguished Scientist, Plastics Additives Research, Packaging and Building Materials, 1995 - 2009
- Senior Scientist, Modifiers Research Department, 1988 - 1995
- Developed new additives for plastics.
- Provided technical service support for plastic modifier product line.
- Trained new scientists, managers and mentored scientists and technicians.
- Coordinated inter-business polymer processing groups to promote technological cross-fertilization and solve specific technical problems.
- Led a group in the development of a new commercial additive for PVC with projected sales of over $15 million.
- Provided guidance and technical insight into additive application in engineering resins and various technical service activities globally, especially in Latin America.
- Advised and partnered with a team to successfully resolve a lawsuit, saving over 1 million Euros in fines.
- Coached incoming Ph.D. senior scientists to further their expertise in plastic research and development.
- Invited lecturer both at domestic and international meetings.
- Author or co-author of several papers and book chapters.
- Awarded several patents in the plastics additives area.
- Received two alpha grants and one Innovation grant.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Chemical Society
- Society of Plastics Engineers
- American Translators Association
- Fully bilingual English-Spanish
- 12 Patents granted (others pending).
- Participation in various congresses and symposia as lecturer (key-note speaker at symposia).
- 59 Publications in the open literature (including 27 refereed articles and 5 book chapters).
- Co-editor of two scientific books.
- 1 Textbook (Chemistry) Translated.
- Ph.D. Chemical Engineering, University of Texas Austin, TX
- M.S. Chemical Engineering, University of Texas Austin, TX
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, National Autonomous University of Mexico