- Flat panel display technology: Active Matrix Displays and Sensors (AMLCD), Thin Film Transistors (TFT), amorphous silicon devices, LCD drive methods, pixel and circuit designs and LCD driver circuits.
- Touch panel technology (in-cell and out-cell).
- Photovoltaics and advanced glazing.
- Thin film properties.
- Sputtered coatings research for energy and electronic applications.
- Thin film photovoltaics using amorphous silicon and other semiconductor materials.
- Amorphous silicon devices.
- Liquid crystal display (LCD) technology and engineering.
- Embedded sensors.
- Optical imaging.
- LCD expert witness.
- Technical Advisor for several TFT LCD US patents.
- Technical Consultancy on Super High Aperture patents and technology.
- Technical Advice on Picture Tube US patent.
- Represented an AMLCD manufacturer.
Undisclosed Company, President and Founder, Present
- Providing consulting and licensing services on AMLCD technology.
- Clients: Apple Computer, Microsoft, Dow Corning, Sharp Labs of America, CH2M/Hill, Cambrios, Semprius, Shanghai Tianma Microelectronics.
- Expert witness for law firms representing LCD patent litigation cases.
Guardian Industries Science and Technology Center, Carleton, MI, 2017 - 2017
Director Sputtered Coatings Research - Energy and Electronics
- Development of sputtered large area coatings (up to 3.2x6 m).
- Coatings for solar, displays, electronics, interior and architectural applications.
Fellow - Guardian Industries
- Dynamic glazing and touch panel development.
- Photovoltaic skylight development.
Planar Systems, Hillsboro, Oregon, Principal Scientist, 1999 - 2005
- Designed avionic TFT LCDs.
- Involved in the research and development of flat panel display technologies, including active matrix LCD, organic light emitting diode (OLED) displays and TFT LCD with embedded image sensors in the TFT backplane.
- Member of team working on DARPA project on active matrix OLED displays.
- Invented integrated optical touch panel in amorphous silicon based TFT LCDs using the photoconductivity of a-Si TFTs, resulting in several patents and patent applications.
- Member of the team building 3 inch and 12 inch prototypes TFT LCDs with integrated optical touch panels.
OIS Optical Imaging Systems, Northville, Michigan, Director Advanced Technology, 1988 - 1998
- Played a key role in the development of diode and TFT LCDs for avionics.
- Led a group of 10 scientists in design, layout and process development for state-of-the art active matrix LCDs and flat panel X-ray sensors.
- Invented high aperture TFT LCDs resulting in a series of 8 key patents, now used worldwide in many high resolution LCDs.
Energy Conversion Devices,Troy, Michigan, Senior Scientist, 1983 - 1988
- Development of amorphous silicon and its alloys for photovoltaic and electronic applications.
- Contributed to the development of SiGe alloys for multi-junction solar cells.
- Developed methods to measure the electronic performance of a-Si alloys.
Honors & Publications
- Course instructor on AMLCD technology at UCLA Extension Courses
- Fellow of the SID since 2006 for contributions in Active Matrix Display and Sensor technology
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Fellow of the Society for Information Display (SID).
- Member of the IEEE Member of Active Matrix subcommittee for SID Symposium program
- Member of Touch Panel subcommittee for SID Symposium since
- Guest Editor Journal of the Society for Information Display - Special Section on Active Matrix Technology
Publications and Patents
- Author of 2 text books
- More than 50 publications in peer reviewed journals and conference proceedings
- 10 Invited and other talks at Display Conferences in the USA, Asia and Europe
- 115 issued patents and 10 pending patent applications
- Ph.D. Electrical Engineering, Delft University, South Holland, Netherlands
- M.Sc. Physics, Delft University of Technology, South Holland, Netherlands
- B.S. Physics, Delft University of Technology, South Holland, Netherlands