- Flat panel display technology.
- Active matrix liquid crystal display (AMLCD).
- Liquid crystal display (LCD) technology and engineering.
- Sputtered coatings research for energy and electronic applications.
- Thin film photovoltaics using amorphous silicon and other semiconductor materials.
- TFT (Thin Film Transistor) technology.
- Amorphous silicon devices.
- Embedded sensors.
- Optical imaging.
- LCD expert witness.
Undisclosed Company, Independent Consultant, Present
- Providing consulting and licensing services on AMLCD technology.
- Clients: Apple Computer, Microsoft, Dow Corning, Sharp Labs of America, CH2M/Hill, Cambrios, Semprius, Shanghai Tianma Microelectronics.
- Expert witness for law firms representing LCD patent litigation cases.
Undisclosed Firm, Present
- Director sputtered coatings research-energy and electronics.
- Development of sputtered large area coatings (up to 3.2 m x 6.0 m).
- Coatings for photovoltaics, displays and electronics components.
Planar Systems, Hillsboro, Oregon, Principal Scientist, 1999 - 2004
- Research and development of flat panel display technologies, including active matrix LCD, organic light emitting diode (OLED) displays and TFT LCD with embedded image sensors in the TFT backplane.
- Designed avionic TFT LCDs.
- Member of team working on DARPA project on active matrix OLED displays.
- Invented integrated optical touch panel in amorphous silicon based TFT LCDs using the photoconductivity of a-Si TFTs, resulting in several patents and patent applications.
- Member of the team building 3 inch and 12 inch prototypes TFT LCDs with integrated optical touch panels.
OIS Optical Imaging Systems, Northville, Michigan, Director Advanced Technology, 1988 - 1998
- Key role in the development of diode and TFT LCDs for avionics.
- Led group of 10 scientists in design and process development for state-of-the art active matrix LCDs and flat panel X-ray sensors.
- Invented high aperture TFT LCDs resulting in a series of 8 key patents, now used worldwide in many high resolution LCDs.
Energy Conversion Devices, Troy, Michigan, Senior Scientist, 1983 - 1988
- Development of amorphous silicon and its alloys for photovoltaic and electronic applications.
- Contributed to the development of SiGe alloys for multi-junction solar cells.
- Developed methods to measure the electronic performance of a-Si alloys.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Fellow of the Society for Information Display (SID).
- Member of the IEEE.
Publications and Patents
- Author of a book, Matrix Liquid Crystal Displays.
- 50 papers in scientific journals and conference proceedings.
- Inventor or co-inventor on more than 40 patents in the field of flat panel displays, sensors and addressing devices.
Ph.D. Electrical Engineering, Delft University, Netherlands
M.Sc. Physics, Delft University of Technology, Netherlands
B.S. Physics, Delft University of Technology, Netherlands