- Optical and mechanical design of analytical instruments, fluorescence and absorbance spectrometers and light scattering equipment.
- Optical and mechanical design of custom optical Information processing equipment for the defense establishment.
- Lens and optical system design using optical design software such as Genii and Zemax.
- Acousto optics for signal processors.
- Fiber optic probes for process spectrometers.
- Wavelength division multiplexer for local area networks.
- Fourier lens design.
- Design of polarization scramblers.
- Fiber optic photo-therapy probes.
- Surface area and pore size distribution of materials and related technology for equipment design.
Independent Consultant, Present
American Instrument Company / Baxter Labs, Silver Spring, MD, Project Engineer
- SPF 1000 Spectrofluorometer.
- SPF 125 series Clinical Spectroflourometers.
- Sorbet Surface Area Meter, the Multi-sample version of the Adsorptomat.
- Absolute Light Scattering Photometer.
- 10-210 Photomultiplier Photometer.
- Developed simple methods of laying out optical systems and optimizing optical power throughput using the theory of stops.
- Designed the optical system of the Rotachem automated clinical diagnostic analyzer.
- Discovered a method of eliminating doubly dispersed light from monochromators and designed the monochromators used in advanced spectrophotometers and spectroflourometers.
- Developed and patented an original method of determining absolute turbidity and incorporated method into the Absolute Light Scattering Photometer.
Litton Amecom, College Park, MD, Senior Scientist
- Principal optical designer for an air borne acousto-optic recorder for monitoring radar emissions.
- Principal investigator for an Air Force sponsored study of Litton microchannel plate amplifiers as applied to acousto-optic channelized receivers.
- Modeled and bench tested a wavelength division fiber optic multiplexer.
- Assumed responsibility for a start up project aimed at developing integrated optical devices.
System Engineering and Development, Inc., Columbia, MD, Principal Engineer
- Responsible for the optical and mechanical design of a benchtop acoustic-optics based Cross Ambiguity Function (CAF) generator.
- Optical design of a rack mounted CAF system and a satellite borne CAF processor.
- Used the Genii Optical design program to design satellite system lens withing tolerances and to evaluate system performance.
Consulting Firm, Consultant
- Essex Corp: Designed the optical system, Fourier lens and imaging lenses of an acousto-optic processor for generating range Doppler images of objects in space. Designed breadboard and prototype modular range Doppler system including opto-mechanical design.
- Omeda: Proposed quality control methods for an OEM system used in the Omeda baby phototherapy health care system.
- LT Industries: Designed a height insensitive fiber optic reflectance probe. Evaluated a commercial spectrometer for use in future model LT process analyzers.
- Becton Dickenson: Assisted the engineering team in troubleshooting the BD blood fraction analyzer for the health care industry.
- University of Maryland: Investigated several approaches for fabricating a large area polarization scrambler.
- Innovative Technologies Group: Designed the optics for two special fiber optic reflectance probes.
- NIH SBA Grant: Worked with Roswell Park Cancer Institute towards developing a phototherapy probe suitable for treating mesothelioma.
- American Fluoroseal: Designed a radiant heater to defrost a selected corner of a cell solution bag with minimum damage to the cells.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Optical Society of America
- Society of Photographic and Instrument Engineers
- Society for Applied Spectroscopy
- Elected to Sigma Xi
Publications and Patents
- 5 Patents
- 6 Publications
- M.S. Physics, George Washington University, Washington, DC
- B.S. Physics, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD