- Thirty plus years experience as a chemical engineer in the petrochemical industry.
- Ammonium nitrate manufacturing for fertilizer and explosive applications.
- Nitric acid plants and ammonium plant construction and expansion.
- Production and chemical engineering of fertilizer products.
- Marketing and sales of ammonium nitrate fertilizers.
- Hydrogen sulfide recovery plants.
- Extensive background in engineering, plant operations, chemical engineering consulting and positions in senior management.
- Spearheaded plant expansions and product diversifications to increase revenue.
- Improved plant efficiencies and product quality to increase profitability.
- Highly skilled executive with proven ability to expand business and improve profitability.
- Expert witness on plant operations, efficiency and operation procedures.
Independent Consultant, 2006 - Present
- Provide engineering, plant operations, plant expansion, plant efficiency, product diversification; develop new markets, and senior management for petrochemical clients.
Undisclosed Firm, Tampa, FL, CEO, 2002 - 2006
- Responsible for implementing the privatization of the largest ammonium nitrate manufacturing plant in Florida, producing and selling $50 million annually of fertilizers and explosives to the agricultural and mining industry.
- Reduced manufacturing costs by improving on stream performance, improving maintenance, and reducing productions costs.
- Increased sales, market share and profit margin by improving product quality and diversifying products marketed.
- Restructured privatized company from a non-competitive cooperative into a streamlined organization with emphasis on marketing, sales and distribution.
Independent Consultant, Billings, MT, Consultant, 1988 - 2002
Major Projects and Activity
Black & Veatch Pritchard, Overland Park, KS, Manager - Director
- Directed engineering disciplines to prepare the design and budget to expand and modernize a large ammonia plant.
- $20 million expansion increased plant capacity 50% and reduced energy consumption significantly; project completed on schedule and on budget.
Clausen Miller, Chicago, IL; Mayer Brown, Chicago, IL; Zelle & Larson, Dallas, TX, Consultant
- Expert witness consulting services to prepare for litigation of a $400 million explosion at Terra Chemicals plant in Sioux City, IA.
- Consulted with attorneys and technical experts, interviewed numerous personnel and conducted a complete critique of the plant's operation.
- Reviewed plant and engineering calculations to prepare for litigation.
Other Engineering Consulting Clients and Projects
- Projects for LaRoche Industries, Crystal City, MO, The Pritchard Corporation, Kansas City, KS; James Chemical Engineering, Groton, CT; MSI, Salt Lake City, UT; and Geneva Steel, Provo, UT.
- For Simplot Fertilizer, Brandon, Manitoba, managed the engineering and construction of the first ammonium nitrate prill fattener granulation plant.
- Coordinated engineering with a French designer, completed on schedule, on budget with facilities producing the best quality ammonium nitrate in North America.
- Provided engineering consulting services to improve ammonium nitrate product quality, overseas engineering sales, nitric acid plant expansion, explosives product development and steel mill pollution control.
Kerley Enterprises/Conoco, Phoenix, AZ, General Manager, 1989 - 1990
- Managed the hydrogen sulfide recovery plants at Conoco's refinery in Lake Charles, LA and Ponca City, OK.
- The plants converted refinery waste into saleable sulfur by products.
- Successfully managed Kerley/Conoco joint venture and restructured organization to improve performance.
Coastal Corporation/El Paso, Cheyenne, WY, Vice President of Manufacturing
- Manufacturing leadership of a major chemical manufacturing facility producing ammonia, nitric acid, ammonium nitrate, urea carbon dioxide and ammonium thiosulfate.
- Planned and implemented a $100 million plant expansion, increasing annual sales from 300,000 T/yr 500,000 T/yr, and reduced raw material consumption by 20%.
- Developed a new product of explosive grade ammonium nitrate with superior quality, permitting a market penetration of 50% in two years.
- Constructed a plant to convert waste product carbon dioxide into a saleable product.
- Patented and built a facility to convert waste sulfur dioxide into saleable ammonium thiosulfate fertilizer.
Terra Chemicals International, Inc. Sioux City, IA, Senior Process Engineer
- Responsible for process and efficiency improvements, optimization and engineering in large ammonia fertilizer complex.
- Implemented computer control in Terra's ammonia plant, reducing energy consumption by 7%.
- Reduced operating costs and improved catalyst performance.
- Reduced maintenance costs through effective planning and management and improved urea product quality.
Vulcan Materials Company, Baton Rouge, LA, Production Supervisor
- Total responsibility for the initial startup and operation of a new $40 million trichloroethane and vinylidene chloride chemicals plant.
- Successfully managed startup of both chloro-solvent plants and achieved 90% of rated production capacity in one year.
Utilities Supervisor, Wichita, KS
- Total responsibility for steam boilers and distribution, natural gas distribution, electrical distribution, plant and instrument air, cooling towers, water distribution, waste collection and deep well disposal.
- Successfully controlled the utilities supply to a large chlorine chemicals complex and under run budget.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers
- American Management Association
- Ammonium Nitrate Producers
- Florida Fertilizer Association
- Nitric Acid Producers (Chairman)
- The Fertilizer Institute (Board of Directors)
- B.S. Chemical Engineer, Montana State University, Bozeman, MT