Practicing toxicologist of over 20 years providing testimony to governmental agencies, service as an industrial site crisis team member, media (BBC) consultant and services as an expert witness in the United States, United Kingdom and Hong Kong in the following areas:
- Chemical and chemical exposures
- Pesticides and biocides
Toxicology Risk Assessment:
- Drug toxicology and drug testing
- Building fires and resulting combustion products
- Chemical fires and explosions
- Plastics fires and plastic combustion by products
- Drug induced lung disease
- Epidemiology (cancer)
- Drug exposure and drug toxicology
- Medical malpractice
- Medical toxicology
- Industrial toxicology
- Mold and toxicology
- Environmental and medical toxicology
- Chemical toxicology
- Products liability
- Drugs chemistry and pharmacology
Past Cases Related to:
- Alcohol, Aldrin, carbon monoxide, Cephalosporin, Chlorodane, Chloropicrin, cocaine, Dieldrin, Fentanyl, Hydromorphone, marijuana, methyl bromide, morphine, oral contraceptives, phenol, styrene.
Independent Consultant, 1986 - Present
- Expert witness in pharmacology and toxicology for deposition and trial testimonies (civil, criminal, and military courts; plaintiff and defense) in the United States, Hong Kong and the United Kingdom.
- Consultant for industrial projects, industrial representative, on-site industrial crisis management member and testimonial witness to governmental agencies (EPA National Advisory Committee and Consumer Product Safety Commission).
Undisclosed Firm, General Manager, 2003 - 2008
- Provided scientific and business direction for laboratory which conducts general toxicology studies for the pharmaceutical and chemical industries for submission to governmental agencies.
- Range of study types includes acute through chronic carcinogenesis via oral, dermal and injection routes of administration.
- Responsible for the scientific, personnel, regulatory guideline compliance and budgetary aspects for the laboratory.
IIT Research Institute, Life Sciences, Toxicology and Carcinogenesis, Chicago, IL, 2001 - 2003
Assistant Vice President and Division Manager
- Conducted studies such as general toxicology (acute through chronic/carcinogenesis via oral, dermal, and injection routes of administration), neurotoxicology, reproductive, developmental and teratology.
- Participation in inhalation toxicology studies.
- Responsible for the scientific, personnel, regulatory guideline compliance, and budgetary aspects for the Toxicology and Carcinogenesis Division.
Covance Laboratories Ltd., Inhalation Toxicology, North Yorkshire, England, Head, 1998 - 2001
- Directed the activities of the inhalation chemists and assisted study directors and sponsors in the design, conduct and interpretation of toxicology studies.
- Reviewed inhalation study reports to verify scientific content, and advised sponsors regarding regulatory requirements for drug development.
Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Toxicologist, 1995 - 1997
- Analyzed and integrated toxicological data for use in assessing effects on human health and the environment.
- Summarized pertinent data or the derivation of numerical criteria in the quantitative risk assessment applications.
Union Carbide Corporation, Bushy Run Research Center (BRRC), Toxicologist, 1990 - 1995
- FDA Guidelines; (GLP, OECD, EPA TSCA and FIFRA), vapor, liquid aerosol, dust, and thermal emissions for whole body and nose-only exposures.
- Consultant in the Polyolefins Division for the development of combustion toxicity legislation and regulation.
Weyerhaeuser Company, Fire Technology Unit, Toxicologist, 1986 - 1990
- Supervised combustion toxicity laboratory; designed and conducted combustion toxicity tests and developed test methods and equipment.
- Monitored and influenced combustion toxicity legislation and regulations for the National Forest Products Association.
University of Mississippi Medical Center, Department of Pharmacology/Toxicology, 1985 - 1986
- As Research Associate, designed and implemented experimental protocols, analyzed and published data.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists
- British Toxicology Society - Full Member
- Society of Toxicology - Full Member, Specialty Sections: Inhalation, Risk Assessment
- Association of Inhalation Toxicologists
- American Society of Testing and Materials, Member of Honors and Awards
- United Kingdom Register of Expert Witnesses
- National Fire Protection Association
- International Organization for Standardization (ISO)
- New York City Department of Buildings, Toxicology Committee
- Society of Plastics Industry
- British Standards Institute
- Editorial Boards: Inhalation Toxicology; journal of Fire Sciences; Journal of Ecotoxicology & Environmental Monitoring
- Special Covance Stock Award
- ASTM Award of Recognition,"Leadership of Subcommittee E05.21"
- Stock Award for Thermal Emissions Project - Union Carbide Chemical
- Special Recognition Award for Team Participation- Union Carbide Chemical
- Global Competitiveness - Forest Products Company's Research and Engineering
- Remodeling Project - Weyerhaeuser Fire Technology Laboratory
- Conducted many workshops and symposiums
- Seminars, presentations and abstracts
- Many publications, book review, reports, and evaluations
- 2 U.S. Patents
- Ph.D. Pharmacology/Toxicology, University of Mississippi Medical Center
- M.S. Chemistry, University of Mississippi
- B.S. Chemistry, University of Montevallo