Research and Development
- Experimental solid state physics related to electronic and thermal transport properties.
- Cryophysics and nanotechnology as related to thermal transport.
- Quantum transport (electronic, thermal) effects in mesoscopic systems.
- Novel synthetic conductors of heat and electricity and thermal management science and materials.
- Non conventional solid state energy conversion, mainly thermoelectric effect.
- Materials Science and Engineering Consultant specializing in cryophysics, nanotechnology and electrical and thermal transport properties of materials.
- Materials science and engineering focused on: Metals, semi-metals, semiconductors, carbons and graphite, intercalation carbon compounds, conductive polymers, polymer-matrix composites, carbon nanotubes and other nanoscopic systems.
Education and Training
- Materials Science and Solid State Physics and associated experimental techniques to undergraduates and postgraduates.
- Research and development work in collaboration with industrial firms and international research centers.
- Contribution to various scientific committees and advisory boards.
Research, Education and Consulting
- 30 years experience in research and development in cooperation with worldwide industries and major private research centers located in U.S., France and Belgium and within the European Framework programs.
- 40 years research experience with academic institutions located in U.S., U.K., France and Japan.
- 30 years teaching/training engineering and materials science students.
- 30 years of management at various levels.
- 15 years of cooperation with Eastern European countries.
- 6 years of cooperation with North Africa (Morocco).
- 30 years of consultancy for various industries and governmental institutions, mainly in the U.S., France and Belgium.
- 35 years of evaluation and monitoring of scientific/technical programs and candidates.
Louvain University, Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium, Professor, 1967 - 2003
- Head of "Unit' de Physico-Chimie et de Physique des Mate'riaux.", 1973 - 1993
- Chairman of the Center for Advanced Materials, 1992 - 1999
- Chairman of the Department of Materials Science and Processes, 1993 - 1999
- Member of the University Research Council, 1994 - 2000
- Member of the "comite' de gestion des ressources exte'rieures", 1990 - 1997
Research and Development Consulting In Worldwide Industries
Du Pont de Nemours, Experimental Station, Fibers Division, Wilmington, DE, 1985 - 1998
- Development of novel synthetic conductors of heat using fibers (carbon pitch, polyethylene, alumina,) and polymer-matrix composites.
Conoco, Ponca City, OK, 1996 - 2002
- Project coordinator for carbon product development: Improve the figure of merit of carbon electrodes for the steel industry.
Silec, France, Belgium, Germany, Scientific and Technical Advisor, 1990 - 1992
- New compositions for high voltage electrical cable insulation.
- Development of new polymer compositions for cable insulation.
Norsk Hydro, Porsgrunn, Norway, 1995 - 1996
- Development of a thermally insulating material with good mechanical properties. Feasibility study contributed to product development.
Research Activities - Shared Efforts with Foreign Universities
MIT, Department of Materials Science, Cambridge, MS, Principal investigator, 1970 - Present
- Scientific cooperation and training of postgraduates.
- Development of a long-term scientific collaboration with frequent exchange of postgraduates.
- Research programs leading to about 30 joint papers published.
- New Thermoelectric Materials (Navy Contract): Development of novel thermoelectric materials based on recent breakthrough in thermoelectricity from the new concept (Hicks & Dresselhaus) of low-dimensional thermoelectricity.
ICPE - Universities of Bucharest and Oradea, Bucharest, Romania, 1986 - 2003
- As Principal Investigator and Project Coordinator: Transfer of Technology (cryogenics, materials, associated equipment) and training Romanian undergraduates and postgraduates to new technologies.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Former Physical Society (London)
- Belgian Physical Society
- International Measurement Confederation (Budapest)
- Laborelec Scientific Commission
- Materials Research Society
- American Carbon Society (U.S.A.)
- American Physical Society
- New York Academy of Sciences
- French Group for the Study of Carbons
- Honor's degree (DHC), University of Oradea, Oradea, Romania; Universite' Henri Poincare' Nancy, France
- Honorary member of the Senate of the University of Oradea
- Officier de l'Ordre de Le'opold
- Me'daille Civique de Premie're Classe
- Commandeur de l'Ordre de la Couronne
- Croix Civique de Premie're Classe
- Chaire Francqui
- 3 patents.
- 250 papers published in international professional journals.
- One book published and contribution (chapters) to more than a dozen others.
- 80 contributions and invited papers to professional meetings.
- 60 invited seminars in various countries (mainly U.S.A. and France.)
- Ph.D. Applied Sciences, Universite' Catholique de Louvain, Belgium
- B.S. Electrical Engineering, Universite' Catholique de Louvain, Belgium