- Thermal systems for converting waste products to energy.
- Research, analysis, design, construction, startup and troubleshooting for alternate energy processes, particularity those involving combustion, gasification and pyrolysis.
- Process heat and material balances.
- Process engineering involving large pumps, blowers and fans.
- Initial process conceptualization, preparation of process flow diagrams, and development of combustion control logic.
- Development of preliminary P&ID's equipment design and specification.
- Thermal processes such as combustion, incineration, gasification, pyrolysis, energy recovery, heat and material balances, waste-to-energy, air pollution control, fluidized bed, multiple hearth furnace, rotary kiln, rotary hearth, drag turbine, carbon activation, activated carbon, ultra-superheated steam, synfuels, biomass, scrap tires.
Independent Consultant; Clients and Objectives, 1976 - Present
- DeBoise, ME: Forensic engineering; Peat and wood waste fired, fluid bed power plant.
- Chittenden, VT: Forensic engineering; Sludge Drying.
- Vancouver, WA: MHF: Increase capacity and meet 503's.
- Joint Meeting, NJ: Forensic engineering; Sludge Drying.
- Barstow, CA: Forensic engineering; furnace explosion.
- Carpentaria, CA: Wind turbine; heat transfer analysis.
- Boron, CA: Forensic engineering; Fan failures & Thermal analysis melting furnaces.
- Boston, MA: Forensic engineering; sludge drying.
- Chicago, IL: Sludge drying, technology validation.
- Middlesex County Utilities Authority: Forensic engineering sludge drying and lime stabilization.
- Walt Disney Imagineering - Large fan and air manifold design.
Pyrol - Energie - System, Technical Director, West Germany, 1976 - 1978
- Design and procurement of indirectly heated, rotary kiln pilot plant in West Germany.
- Process designed for the pyrolysis of 25 tons per day of municipal refuse and biomass.
- Consulting for incineration, pyrolysis, gasification and development of "dirty gas" turbine for energy recovery.
Stanford Research Institute, Senior Mechanic Engineer, 1974 - 1976
- Research assignments: Pyrolysis, gasification, incineration, fluidized bed combustion, air pollution control, design of multiple hearth and indirectly heated rotary kiln furnaces for the production and regeneration of activated carbon.
Fluor - Utah, Inc., Technical Director, Furnace Group, 1973 - 1974
- Start - up superintendent for the 3,000 pounds per hour scrap tire fired boiler at Goodyear Tire.
- Designed additional engineering modifications in combustion and air pollution control.
Thermal Disposal Services, Chief Engineer, Surface Combustion Division, 1968 - 1973
- Provided concept, process and equipment designs for fume, liquid and solid waste incinerators.
- Research and development work performed on the pyrolysis of liquid, semi-solid (sludge) and solid waste.
- Conducted laboratory and field stack emission tests.
- Obtained government research contracts for the incineration and pyrolysis of toxic fuel, mustard gas and nerve gas agent materials.
Dorr-Oliver, Inc., Development Engineer, 1965 - 1968
- Test programs on fluidized bed incinerators.
- Assisted in the development of cyclonic municipal sludge incinerator.
- Project Engineer on brown stock washer development program.
- Development work on reverse osmosis modules for sea water desalinization and wastewater treatment.
Honors & Publications
- Licensed Professional Engineer: California, New York, Ohio and Nevada
Publications and Patents
- Awarded a U.S. Patent for gasification process.
- Seven previous patents issued.
- Over twenty publications.
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering, New York University, NY