- Over 30 years industrial experience in various aspects of polymer chemistry.
- Exceptionally broad range of expertise in areas such as biomaterials, drug delivery, polymeric coatings, chemical modification of polymers, anionic and free radical polymerizations of polar and non-polar monomers, polymer alloys and blends, reinforced polymer systems, glassy and crystalline polymers.
- Biomaterials research and development.
- Biomaterial applications, drug delivery and implants.
- Biomaterial technology development strategy.
- Drug eluting stents materials and stent development.
- High performance polymers.
- Polymer alloys such as polyester/ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene), polyester/polycarbonate/ABS, nylon/ABS and polycarbonate/ABS.
- Biomaterial intellectual property Issues.
- Appointed to the position of Distinguished Scientist at Medtronic Cardio Vascular in recognition of technical contributions and leadership. (Second Distinguished Scientist at ~Medtronic Cardio Vascular and seventh in Medtronic Corporation).
- Appointed to the position of Senior Science Fellow at Monsanto in recognition of excellence in science, contribution to businesses and international reputation (less than 1% of the scientists at Monsanto attain this position).
Independent Consultant, 2008 - Present
Medtronic Inc, Santa Rosa, CA , 2002 - 2008
- Directed polymeric biomaterials program to support future generation drug eluting cardiovascular stents.
- Directed build-up of voluminous libraries of proprietary bio-stable and bio-absorbable polymers (>200 each).
- Co-inventor in 4 issued U.S. patents and 32 filings at Medtronic.
- Second generation Medtronic drug eluting stents (Endeavor Resolute) are based on BioLinx biostable polymer System invented and developed by the polymer group.
- Adopted unconventional approaches to solving problems (leasing a local University chemistry laboratory to avail space for synthesizing polymers).
- Made global presentations on designing and selecting polymers for drug eluting stent coatings.
- Lead polymer person to interface with FDA.
- Co-authored 21 posters presented in Minneapolis at the Technology Conferences for four consecutive years.
- Participated in Cardio Vascular due diligence teams to evaluate polymer technologies.
- Taught courses on polymers to the manufacturing engineers and sales force.
Senior Principal Scientist, 2002 - 2003
- Campaigned and help put in place a fully equipped polymer laboratory at Cardio Vascular in Santa Rosa.
- Hired qualified and motivated professionals to form a highly innovative team.
- Implemented a well-regarded world class polymer program, a core competency unique to Medtronic versus competition.
- Set polymer design and synthesis strategy and achieved good in vitro results.
MetaPhore, Pharmaceuticals, Saint Louis, MO, Consultant, 1999 - 2002
- Functionalized device surfaces with superoxide dismutase mimics and demonstrated reduced inflammatory response.
Monsanto Corporate Research, St. Louis, MO, 1979 - 1999
Senior Science Fellow, Chemical Sciences, 1996 - 1999
- Designed and produced biomaterials with reduced inflammatory response and improved resistance to biodegradation.
- Synthesized unique polymeric structures as bile acid sequestrants to lower levels of serum cholesterol.
- Formulated biodegradable nanoparticulate systems as drug carriers for controlled release applications.
Science Fellow, Technical Center, Pensacola, FL, 1994 - 1996
- Developed a novel low cost process for weather-stabilized black nylon.
- Project lead to understand the mechanism of ultraviolet.
Science Fellow, Technical Center, Springfield MA, 1989 - 1994
- As a Fellow-Manager, carried out independent research in addition to supervising projects of both commercial and fundamental interest, e.g.
- Formulated a proprietary permanent anti-static ABS to meet customer needs.
- Compiled a database on fundamentals of ring opening anionic polymerization and copolymerization of caprolactam in support of pultruded thermoplastic glass-nylon composites JV with Paturle Composites, Saint-Laurent Dupont, France.
- Championed and promoted a project on fundamentals of clear-tough alloys and alloys with barrier properties.
- Supervised a project to develop an environmentally friendly non-etch route to electroplate ABS plastics.
- Proposed and managed projects at the A. V. Topchiev Institute of Petrochemical Synthesis, Moscow, focused on developing fundamental solutions to chronic problems in ABS plastics and resolving critical process/cost issues.
- Represented Plastics Technology in delegations to overseas locations to evaluate technologies for possible joint ventures.
- Proposed several projects of strategic value to Monsanto such as low cost leadership process for continuous mass ABS.
- Helped plastics technology build and maintain relations with academia such as Virginia Polytechnic, University of Massachusetts, University of Minnesota, University of Akron, Leuven University (Leuven, Belgium), EAHP (Strasbourg, France) and Kyoto University (Kyoto, Japan).
Senior Research Specialist, Technical Center, Springfield, MA, 1982 - 1989
- Developed fundamental and proprietary technology to produce polyester/ABS and polyester/polycarbonate/ABS alloys to compliment the nylon/ABS and polycarbonate/ABS alloy product lines. Applications included lawn and garden equipment and automobile plenums.
- Demonstrated that recycled polyethylene terephthalate (pulverized PET soda bottles) can be effectively employed to generate alloys with interesting property balance.
- Synthesized high modulus, high impact nylons for Reaction Injection Molded (RIM) applications via anionic polymerization and graft polymerization of caprolactam on particulate core-shell rubber.
- Produced elastomeric alloys from scrap SAFLEX and commercial core-shell rubbers.
Research Specialist, Technical Center, Springfield, MA, 1979 - 1982
- Formulated glass filled composites based on PET comparable in properties to competition. Studies were then extended to nylon/PET hybrid glass composites with reduced moisture absorption and improved modulus retention on equilibration (compared to nylon composites).
Phillips Petroleum Research Center, Bartlesville, OK, Senior Research Chemist, 1973 - 1979
- Synthesized block and random copolymers of non-polar and polar monomers by butyl lithium initiated anionic polymerization.
- Chemically modified vinyl aromatic-diene block and random copolymers to improve their resistance to motor oils and wet-skid resistance in tire applications.
Honors & Publications
- NASA Postdoctoral Fellow, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ.
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Chemical Society
- Society for Biomaterials
- Controlled Release Society
- Nominated for Technical Contributor of the Year (TCOY) (Individual Award) and TCOY (Team Award) for 3 consecutive years. Awarded the TCOY Team Award, with two collaborators for developing BioLinx Polymer used in Endeavor Resolute DES.
- Gold medalist, University of Bombay, India.
- Distinguished Alumnus of the Year Award, Bombay University Department of Chemical Technology.
Publications and Patents
- Speaking engagements at international polymer and biomedical conferences as a member of the faculty.
- Author and Co-Author of Over 40 national and international publications in peer reviewed medical journals, symposiums, posters, conferences and meetings.
- 39 U.S. patents, 26 patent applications.
- Ph.D. Polymer Science, Institute of Polymer Science, University of Akron, Akron, OH
- M.Sc Paints and Polymers, University of Bombay, India
- B.Sc Paints and Polymers, University of Bombay, India