- Experienced mechanical engineer with strengths in the design of fabricated metal, molded plastic, ceramic, and ceramic-metal assemblies.
- Experience in the design and fabrication of micromachined parts in silicon and other materials.
- Extensive experience in materials science and solving materials related problems.
- Analysis experience includes the use of ANSYS and MECHANICA FEA.
- Mechanical design of laboratory analytical instruments including industrial design, thermal zone design, control and structural design and analysis.
- Application of materials science to part design, fabrication, manufacturing and trouble-shooting.
- Flow and pressure sensors for use in laboratory analytical instruments.
- Mechanical and packaging interfaced designs of micro-machined components for use in flow and pressure control systems.
- Working with others in a multidisciplinary team to create a new design or solve a problem.
- Procurement engineering work with research and development manufacturing groups to select and approve new suppliers for fabricated parts and assemblies.
Independent Consultant, Instrument design, 2008 - Present
Undisclosed Company, Research and Development Manufacturing Engineer, 2008 - 2011
- New product development, provide supplier and process recommendations.
- CAD design review to develop sheet metal enclosure and product design.
- Recommended machine and sheet metal shops and specialty suppliers of vacuum brazements and photo-chemical etched parts.
- Recommended the use of Solid Works as the CAD system of choice for the company.
- Developed LC accessory to provide supercritical CO2 as a solvent at up to 400 bar.
- Identified design improvements in two purchased parts and one internal subassembly.
Agilent Technologies, Procurement Mechanical Engineer, 1999 - 2008
- Source and produce fabricated parts for life science and chemical analysis products.
- Supported new product development, current products, and development and production of fabricated parts and assemblies in metal, ceramic and ceramic-metal.
- Support resulted in introduction of 7 new products and 3 improved products.
Hewlett-Packard Company, Research and Development, 1970 - 1999
Mechanical Development Engineer, Little Falls Site, Wilmington, DE, 1988 - 1999
- Project lead and mechanical design for helium plasma ionization detector.
- Mechanical design of plastic packaging and inlets for single-channel gas chromatograph.
- Mechanical design of pneumatic components and systems for use in an electronically controlled flow and pressure system for a laboratory analytical instrument.
- Develop a silicon micro-machined proportional flow control valve.
- Technical project: Designed a package and assembly process for a silicon micromachined thermally actuated proportional control valve for gas flows to be used in laboratory analytical instruments.
- Worked with a major flow and pressure sensor manufacturer to redesign standard flow and pressure sensors for use in a new laboratory analytical instrument.
- Designed and developed a new separation column support system, a liquid sample injection system, using a novel injection valve and thermal insulation system. Parts included injection molded plastic structural and appearance housing elements for a new form-factor laboratory and at-line analytical instrument.
- Designed the complete mechanical assembly of a novel analytical detector instrument for a laboratory. Parts included sheet metal, machined metal, thermal insulation, ceramic, and ceramic-metal assemblies, as well as vacuum brazed and TIG welded pneumatic components.
Materials Engineer, Avondale, PA, 1984 - 1988
- Supported new product development, current products, and commodities.
- Commodities: Motors, cables, interconnects, switches, syringes, optosensors, flexcircuits, line power modules, bearings, and fasteners.
Production Engineering Supervisor, Avondale, PA, 1979 - 1984
- Supervised a team of engineers supporting new product introductions and current products in GC, LC, automatic liquid sampling, and separation columns.
Research and Development: Mechanical Development Engineer, Palo Alto, CA, 1976 - 1979
- Mechanical design of GC to MS interface and mechanical architecture of new GC/MS product.
- Development of new quadrupole mass filter fabrication processes.
Production Development Engineer, Palo Alto, CA, 1973 - 1976
- Technical support of production lines for ESCA spectrometer and GC/MS instruments.
Production Development Engineer, Avondale, PA, 1972 - 1973
- Technical support of GC production lines and fabrication shop process development.
Research and Development: Mechanical Development Engineer, Avondale, PA, 1970 - 1972
- Mechanical design of pressure case, seals, connectors, internal architecture and transport case for quartz-based pressure transducer for oil well logging.
Honors & Publications
- U.S Navy Nuclear Power Submarine Service
- U.S Navy Nuclear Power Reactor Operator/Supervisor Practical Training and Qualification
- U.S. Navy Submarine School
- NTU, Stanford University Materials Science and Engineering 207B - Mechanical Properties of Thin Films.
- North Carolina State University ECE538 - VLSI Technology and Fabrication.
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Society of Materials
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Society of Manufacturing Engineers
- U.S Navy Nuclear Power Submarine Service
- U.S Navy Nuclear Power Reactor Operator/Supervisor Practical Training and
Publications and Patents
- Number of patents (7), papers, presentations; selected representation
- MBA University of Santa Clara, CA
- B.S. Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering