- Conducted more than 150 detailed research studies, resulting in patented commercial products with applications in wire and cable (W&C), automotive, packaging, electronics and medical devices applications.
- Experienced in theoretical and practical aspects involving plastic materials, plastic additives, plastic formulation, plastic processes and computational and statistical methods.
- Thermoplastic olefins (TPO) for automotive exterior parts and as conductive TPO composites.
- Developed non halogenated fire retarded thermoplastic vulcanizates (TPV) and a portfolio of 27 TPV products.
- Developed new thermoplastic elastomers (TPE) based on surface treated ground tire rubber.
- Skilled at reactive modification of olefins by chain breaking, cross linking, grafting and branching.
- Plastics failure analysis and non standard test method development.
- Filled, reinforced, flame retarded thermoplastic compositions using fiber, mica, wood, glass, non-halogen compounds.
- Blends and alloys via compatibilization, co-mingled plastics, recycled plastics.
- Development of carbon particulate and carbon fiber filled conductive plastics.
- Production of controlled rheology modification via reactive extrusion.
- Product failure analysis, mainly material, process and service environment.
- Mixing strategies and methods, product and process optimizations.
- Application of Taguchi methods in process and product and cost optimization.
- Experienced writing grant proposals, leading joint research programs, market research, SWOT analysis, cost/profit analysis, technology valuation, business planning and market research.
Independent Consultant, 1999 - Present
- Founder of a company fully equipped for plastics testing and analysis laboratory.
- Developed new scratch resistant TPVs, mineral fiber reinforced olefins, SWCNT conductive TPO composites and non-halogen FR TPVs.
- Developed low density flexible and rigid PP foams, linear- branched PP blends, HMSPP, thermoformable TPOs for automotive exterior, high strength nano-clay reinforced barrier films, bio-degradable polymer-wood fiber composites and TPEs based on surface treated ground tire rubber.
- Developed and built commercial quality prototypes for two novel devices.
- Served domestic and international companies in areas of market research, critical technology review for go/no go decision making, product failure analysis, material selection, process optimization, formulation and market development.
Undisclosed University, Material Science and Engineering, 2007 - Present
- Training and advising graduate students in the Doctoral and Master's research work and mentoring in area of career development.
Solvay Engineered Polymers, Program Manager, Texas, 1997 - 1999
- Prepared and presented detailed market and technology analysis for thermoplastic vulcanizates.
- Developed 27 grades of TPV and demonstrated repeatable production in nine months.
- Developed several concepts and compositions for enhancing mar resistance, melt strength, surface appearance, paint adhesion and thermoformability.
- Trained thirteen research and development technicians in polymer science and processing technology.
Transmit Technology Group, India, 1995 - 1997
- Founded a company offering technology transfer services. Formed and lead a cross-functional team of engineers and financiers in India and USA.
- Presented technology proposals to major businesses and government of India in area of: Plasma welding, powder coating, rubber modified asphalt for road paving, high heat resistant ABS, cross-linked PE, bottle cap liner, recyclable floor mats, large roto-molded LDPE water tanks and recycled ground rubber based products.
Teknor Apex Co., Senior Engineer, Rhode Island, 1992 - 1995
- Lead all activities in development, scale-up and commercialization of Uniprene brand TPV with properties comparable to market leaders but at a substantially lower cost.
- Developed TPO and TPE for 100% recyclable automotive floor mats, high temperature polyphenelene-oxide based W&C insulation, bottle cap-liner and kink-free medical tubing.
- Led the process changes in mixing methods from "Art" to "Science" resulting in significant savings.
- Reduced critical color failures of plastic by 70%. Developed test methods to analyze cap-liner failure and accelerated test methods resulting in faster development cycles.
Basell (Himont), Senior Process Engineer, Delaware, 1990 - 1992
- In-house polypropylene and olefin processing expert, conducted extrusion modeling and recommended mixing and molding screw designs. Saved a major original equipment manufacturer account in the automotive sector.
- Developed basic concepts and mixing strategies for "HiGlass" with superior properties and lower cost.
- Developed process technologies and process-property correlations for CRPP, "Hivalloy", "Hifax", Hifax-XL, highly filled "Catalloy", flame retarded TPOs and high melt strength polypropylene (HMSPP).
- Trained peers in application of Taguchi methods in product development.
Raychem Corp., Senior Product Development Engineer, California, 1986 - 1989
- Prepared and presented product feasibility studies to senior management and led team of four in three strategic areas.
- Developed a novel energy efficient and durable heat sensing cables and polymer thick film sensors used for deicing, area heating, process fluid temperature maintenance and stress detection with market potential exceeding $70 million.
- Developed unique concepts in tailoring of P-T curves and increasing heat transfer efficiency leading to lighter and more durable heaters.
- Devised accelerated failure test methods and tools leading to faster development.
- Developed proprietary fluoropolymer blends with 40% lower cost and recommended plans for recovering expensive fluoropolymer from production scrap. Work resulted in five patents, three very successful commercial products, one new business sector and nine disclosure of invention.
Honors & Publications
- Inventor or co-inventor in nine issued and four pending patents.
- Registered to practice in U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Senior member of SPE, Member of AIPLA, AQP, ACS
- Research Fellow (1985), Dean's list (1976-1980), National merit scholar (1975)
- Financed entire graduate education through scholarships and work-study programs.
- Authored over twenty technical publications.
- Publications available up requests.
Ph.D., Chemistry, Plastics Engineer, University of Massachusetts, Lowell, MA
M.B.A., Bryant College, Smithfield, RI
M.E., Chemical Engineer, Polymer, Stevens Institute of Technology, Hoboken, NJ
B.E., Chemical Engineer, Petroleum Chemicals, Gujarat University, India
Registered to practice in USPTO