- Twenty years of management experience in small and large business, with strong technical background importance centered on wireless, security and networking electronics technology.
- Video surveillance systems and technology.
- Development of GPS-based tracking, navigation and positioning systems.
- Built successful technical teams at Trimble, Cylink, Verticom, Nokia, and Arcwave.
- Built and managed global reseller networks at Cylink, Verticom, and Arcwave.
- Managed ASIC development at Cylink, Nokia, and CoWave.
- Expert Witness for contract litigation and patent infringement cases.
Independent Consultant, 2006 - Present
Overall corporate responsibility for startup in a turn-around situation with business related to video surveillance market, (specifically video analytics/content analysis). Business backed by Trident Capital, Blueprint Ventures, Canaan Partners, and Hotung Capital Management.
- Products include the SmartCatch family of software analytics and hardware processing platforms.
- Technology/channel partners include AMAG/G4, Unisys, Intergraph, Broadware, OnSSI, Milestone, NEC.
- Decreased cash usage; restructured business model/go-to-market strategy from VAR/Integrator to OEM model; added marketing function; restructured product offering; relocated company HQ; supported delivery of SmartCatch 3.0 software and IVR2400 analytics appliance; restructured pricing and margin model; renegotiated all sales/employee revenue-based compensation and commission plans.
- Wrote two industry white papers on video analytics; gave numerous press/media interviews.
- Negotiated $4,000,000 bridge funding.
Venrock Associates, Entrepreneur-in-Residence, Menlo Park, CA, 2005 - 2006
- Engaged as a full-time contractor to Venrock, a leading, global venture capital firm, to assist in identifying attractive new business opportunities in the wireless, security, networking, and/or location markets.
Independent Consultant, 2000 - 2005
- Management consultant in market segments of WiFi, WiMax, consumer electronics, and Internet security.
- Functioned part-time as Acting VP Marketing for a WiMax fabless semiconductor company.
- First employee of VC-funded wireless startup supplying wireless broadband access products to the global cable industry; oversaw construction of corporate infrastructure, hired executive team; led marketing and sales strategy and key technology developments; led all corporate fund-raising activities.
- Key in creating product positioning and branding strategy for residential wireless mesh technology (MeshCastTM) resulting in 5 patents.
- Positioned technology as mesh component of IEEE 802.16a standard; managed ASIC development.
- Initiated and managed merger of two companies to form as new company. Raised $8 million Series C funds.
- Led definition and oversaw development of last-mile wireless cable extension product for Enterprise broadband voice/data service offering from cable industry.
- Customers included Comcast, Time Warner, Cox, Adelphia, Charter, Mediacom, and CableOne.
Nokia Corp., Vice President, Research and Development, Mt. View, CA, 1999 - 2000
- Integration of the recently acquired start-up, Ipsilon Networks; overall responsibility for core products, networking and internet application appliances, with strong ties to next generation packet-based cellular systems.
- Involved in Sales, Marketing, and support of global firewall appliance business.
- Led development of entire product line, including IP530, IP740, ISS appliance, Anti-Virus appliance, and current version of operating system. Managed a ASIC team with over 20 individuals, developing packet processing acceleration ASICs.
Verticom, Inc., President and CEO,. Santa Rosa, CA, 1997 -1998
- VC-funded wireless restart involved in radio subsystems for satellite and terrestrial wireless infrastructures.
- Recruited to facilitate turn-around; created new funding and operating plan for 1998 and substantially reduced monthly operating loss.
- Built new management team including V.P.'s of manufacturing, finance, and engineering, streamlined document control, sales lead tracking, order generation, and project engineering
- Oversaw global sales and distribution channel.
Cylink Corporation, Vice President, General Manager, Sunnyvale, CA , 1995 - 1997
- In the Wireless Communications Division, created wireless business unit/division. Products included spread spectrum radio-modems with worldwide distribution in over 90 countries and 6 international sales offices.
- Grew annual revenue from $7 to $31 million per year.
- Built management team in sales, marketing, engineering, customer service, and manufacturing.
- Managed Cylink cordless phone ASIC business.
- Positioned division for sale and made key presentation resulting in Cylink Wireless Division sale to P-Com.
Trimble Navigation, Manager, Sunnyvale, CA, 1991 - 1995
- Led development and marketing group for GPS-based tracking, navigation, and positioning systems.
- Co-created new product line for tracking people and cargo tracking using cellular phones with GPS; tens of thousands sold globally over 10 year period; product line continues today.
- On-going global customer interaction during product development and roll out.
- Directed engineering teams for GPS ASIC development.
- Served as corporate-wide technical resource for strategic planning and intellectual property.
Honors & Publications
- Two US patents.
- Many publications and presentations.
- Ph.D, E.E., Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of California, Santa Barbara, CA
- B.S., E.E., Washington University, Saint Louis, Missouri,