- Thermoplastic resin extrusion and compounding.
- Single and twin screw extruder design, control and use.
- Thermoplastic extrusion screw design.
- Thermoplastic extrusion die design.
- Thermoplastic extrusion and plastic compounding.
- Extrusion of sheets, profiles and plastic film.
- Extrusion process design and layout.
- Extrusion process control systems.
- Gravimetric feeding systems.
- Engineering thermoplastics selection and processing.
- Thermoplastic compounding, mixing and batching.
- Thermoplastic extrusion modeling and simulation.
- Compounding plant business analysis.
Independent Consultant 2003 - Present
- A sole proprietorship consulting in the area of extrusion process simulation software and related processing equipment.
- Consulting services process and equipment design; component design; problem solving; and, business analysis.
Director of Operations, Undisclosed Firm, 2001 - 2003
- Responsible for: Site Management, production, inventory, engineering, customer service, professional recruitment, manufacturing accounting, health, safety and environment.
- Redesigned the compounding process for a large volume family of products resulting in a 50% production rate increase and significant yield improvement.
- Implemented significant reductions in operational costs through productivity increases and staff reduction.
- Managed a successful ISO 9002 registration process.
Independent Consultant, 1997 - 2001
- Extrusion equipment and software representative.
- Specializing in extrusion process design and simulation software and related processing equipment.
Dynepco (Subsidiary of Daicel Chemical Industries, Japan), Wharton, NJ, 1979 - 1997
- Dynepco operates plastic processing equipment facility and processed engineering thermoplastics for major chemical companies.
- As President of organization of 50 plus employees, responsible for: Profit and loss; strategic direction; professional recruitment; market research; sales and advertising direction; customer negotiations; corporate legal and administrative activities. Member of the Board of Directors and reported to Managing Director of International business in Japan.
- Established a new strategic direction into 'High End,' sophisticated production.
- Recruited a team of top professionals to support the new strategy.
- Improved profitability by 33% in the first year by reducing costs, and increasing sales 25%.
- Researched the market and uncovered new untapped opportunities for sales.
Engineering Manager 1985 - 1996
- Responsible for extrusion process design, equipment selection, development, and implementation.
- Led plant in capital equipment proposal, justification, selection, design, acquisition and installation for extrusion equipment and related equipment.
- Responsible for production equipment maintenance, and computer hardware, software, and network proposals, justification, selection, design, acquisition and installation.
- Skilled at process computer simulation and single screw and twin screw extruder compounding screw design.
- Possess practical and theoretical knowledge of extrusion compounding and used know how to develop numerous process quality improvements and techniques for compounding.
- A key contributor in a multi million dollar plant relocation and expansion.
- Designed and installed processes to make optical grade polymer in a dirty environment.
- Designed, installed, staffed, and operated a sophisticated compounding line for the production of conductive polymer formulations. Wrote QC support software.
Plant Manager 1983 - 1985
- Responsibilities included: Plastic extrusion and compounding plant management and operations; production and inventory control; work order preparation; customer service; hire and fire; employee training.
- Designed, proposed, implemented and administered a plant wide incentive program which increased productivity 80 to 100%.
- Designed and implemented many process improvements for polymer reclaim and recycling.
- Developed computer software for process simulation, process measurement, process set up, and computer aided design.
Production Manager 1980 - 1983
- Responsibilities included: Extrusion production and inventory control; work orders; process set up; QC lab management.
- Organized inventory and production control minimizing stock outs and formulating errors.
- Wrote custom software to support production and inventory control, minimizing clerical requirements.
Industrial Engineer 1979 - 1980
- Responsibilities included: Production and process analysis and design; production scheduling; equipment installation.
Honors & Publications
- Stevens Institute of Technology, Accuracy and Quality in the Extrusion Process.
- J.T. Baker Chemical Co., Hazardous Chemical Safety School and Workshop.
- The Center for Professional Advancement, Industrial Moisture Measurement and Control.
- University of Wisconsin, Process Controls in the Plastics Ind., Focusing on Statistical Methods.
- Magic Database Programming
- Scientific Process and Research, Advanced Extrusion
- Ktron K-10 controller
- Hardy 2160RC and 2050 weight controller operation
- Opto 22 Cyrano process control programming
- Leistritz, Twin Screw Extrusion Workshop
B.S., Industrial Engineering, Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA
Computer Software Experience:
- Novell Netware, Basic, Fortran, Progress Data Base, Magic Data Base, Btrieve, DTR Manufacturing Manager.
- AutoCad, ProDesign, TurboCad, Opto 22 Cyrano, Extrud 2000, TXS.