- Supercritical fluid (SCF) solvent technology.
- Phase behavior for high pressure, supercritical fluid solvent-solute mixture.
- Polymer solutions in liquids and supercritical fluid solvents.
- Fractionation and separation of polymers using supercritical fluid solvents.
- Electrospinning in liquids and supercritical fluid solvents.
- Calculating and predicting phase behavior of liquid and SCF systems.
- Encapsulation of solids and drugs in polymers using SCF and organic solvents.
- Polymer particle formation processes with SCF solvents.
- Extraction and purification of polymers.
- Equations of state and activity coefficient models for process calculations.
Unspecified University, Department of Chemical and Life Science Engineering, 1999 - Present
Unspecified University, Department of Chemical Engineering
- Professor, 1991 - 1999
- Associate Professor, 1987 - 1991
- Assistant Professor, 1985 - 1987
University of Notre Dame, Department of Chemical Engineering, 1981 - 1985
- Assistant Professor
FMC Corporation, Chemical Research and Development, Princeton, NJ, 1975 - 1976
- Process Engineer
- High-pressure phase equilibria.
- Polymer solution behavior at high pressures.
- Light scattering phenomena in polymer solutions at high pressures.
- Supercritical fluid solvent technology.
Invited Research Seminars
- "Fluorocarbon-SCF Materials Processing."
- Properties and Phase Equilibria for Product and Process Design.
- "Polymer-supercritical fluid (SCF) solvent behavior: Fundamentals and processing."
- "Impact of fluorination on the solubility of trifluorovinyl isopropylidenediphenyl ether copolymers in supercritical fluid solvents."
Advanced Courses in Supercritical Fluid Technology
- "Supercritical Fluid Extraction: Principles and Practice."
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Chemical Society: Polymers Material Science & Engineering Division, Polymer Chemistry Division
- American Physical Society: High Polymer Physics
Scientific Committee Member
- Participation in many scientific committees related to high pressure process and supercritical fluids.
- Kipping Visiting Professor, Chemistry Department, University of Nottingham
- Visiting Professor, Institut fur Physikalische Chemie, Universitat Gottingen
- JHU Oraculum Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching
- Keynote Address, Meeting of the Society of Chemistry and Industry, London
- Battelle Memorial Institute Research Award
Editorial Advisory Board
- Journal of Chemical & Engineering Technology
- Journal of Supercritical Fluids
- Journal of Chemical and Engineering Data
- Many publications.
- Ph.D., Chemical Engineering, University of Delaware
- B.S., Chemical Engineering, Carnegie-Mellon University