- In house laboratory for cosmetic product development, formulation and testing.
- Makeup color and decorative cosmetics formulations.
- Color measurement instrumentation techniques.
- Development of new cosmetic products.
- Formulation of decorative pigmented cosmetic, hair care, and over the counter products.
- Cosmetic product process development and production scale up.
- Cosmetic color development and comparison by computer algorithms and and visible light spectrophotometry.
- Expert witness related to cosmetic patent litigation.
Independent Consultant, NY, 2002 - Present
- Skilled in makeup, color and decorative cosmetics formulation and color measurement and instrumentation techniques.
- Operate cosmetic laboratory with proven formulation skills.
- Develop and manage high profile cosmetic and personal care products.
Estee Lauder, R&D, 1974 - 1990, 1995 - 2002
- Brand responsibilities: Tommy Hilfiger, Donna Karan, Bobbi Brown, Jane by Sassaby, La Mer.
- Responsible for tracking all existing and new product launches involving regulatory, safety, sensory, microbiology, stability, package integrity and ingredient labels for all newly acquired Estee Lauder Brands.
- Leader of two task forces to develop QC test methods for lipsticks and powder products.
- Developed a computer program and procedure for on counter shade selection system.
- Lipstick formulation system was patented by Estee Lauder.
- Investigated new computer hardware and software capabilities. Created vendor partnerships related to color formulators and measurements.
- Developed techniques to aid individual labs with color development technology, measurement and related color issues.
- Development of computer based color testing methods.
- Integrated color test methods into Estee Lauder color development laboratories utilizing spectrophotometric analysis.
- Investigated alternative color measurement computer systems. Introduced Advanced Colorsoft program to work alongside existing Datacolor programs to develop new color methodologies.
- Obtained hands on familiarity with all phases of advanced QC product testing and physical testing parameters (DSC, TGA, Surface Tensiometry, and Rheometry).
- Started up new color science department within the existing physical chemistry laboratory.
Group Leader, Global Product Development, 1986 - 1990
- Responsible for launches of all new makeup products for the Estee Lauder brand for global distribution.
- Administration of cosmetic laboratory with six cosmetic chemists.
- Conducted a massive lipstick breakage study for corporate Estee Lauder lipstick brands.
Chemist, 1979 - 1986
- Makeup and lipstick product development for all Estee Lauder brands with some lab administration.
- Involved in project launches for: Clinique Touch Base for Eyes, Clinique Workout Makeup, Clinique Zero Base, EL Smokestick, EL All Day Eye Color Cream, Prescriptives Oil Free Makeup, Seasonal Shade Launches for all Estee Lauder Brands.
- Development of all new hair care products for Estee Lauder brands worldwide.
- Major product launches include: Aramis Hair Control Stick (Japan), Clinique Lightweight Hair Conditioner.
- Responsible for development of new products, shades and seasonal shade promotions and major product launches: Makeup, lipstick, powders, cheekcolors, solid perfumes and fragranced candles.
Honors & Publications
- Society of Cosmetic Chemists (SCC)
- American Chemical Society (ACS)
- Cosmetics, Toiletries and Fragrance Association (CTFA)
- Beauty Industry West (BIW)
- Alumni Association of New York Institute of Technology (NYIT)
- Independent Cosmetic Manufacturers & Distributors, Inc. (ICMD)
- One US patent granted - Method and System for Color Customizing Cosmetic Mass Products
- B.S., Biomedical Engineering, New York Institute of Technology, NY