- Environmental chemist focused on wastewater treatments.
- Wastewater treatment, chemistry and biology.
- Federal and State mandated chemical and microbiological testing.
- State and Federal wastewater discharge permits.
- Medical laboratory laboratory testing, facilities and supervision..
- Veterinary clinical diagnostic medicine; laboratory director.
Wastewater Chemist and Laboratory Supervisor 1987 - Present
- Municipal waste water treatment facility.
- Involved in all phases of municipal waste water treatment: Equipment, processes, water treatment chemicals, water testing and facilities maintenance.
- Fully experienced in wastewater chemistry/biology as applies to Federal and State permit requirements.
- Long term planning for process control modifications i.e. transition from secondary to tertiary treatment trains; trouble-shooting water treatment problems; water quality prolems stemming from process control variations.
- Work to implement actions that maintain permit requirements and community health and odor standards.
- Coordinated many activities and training opportunities for operational staff of all 23 Rhode Island wastewater facilities.
Other Waste Water Treatment Experience
- Environmental chemist at the Charles Hamman Water Treatment Division, a 15 MGD plant comprising initial pre-liming and alum precipitation via above ground perifiltration tanks, each of 200 feet diameter.
- Responsible for Federal and State mandated chemical and microbiological testing of the source waters, treatment train waters, and final distributed potable waters (selected sites throughout the city).
- Retrofitting the plant from sand filtration to carbon adsorption. Changes included new equipment installations and operations, modifications to carbon media backwashing protocols (including air scouring), and the efficiency of carbon removal (solids, bacteria, and other contaminants) over time.
- Testings and validation in reports that ensured quality and healthfulness of distributed waters.
- General Supervisor full clinical medical support to over 300 hospitals, medical doctor's offices and nursing homes throughout the state of Rhode Island.
- Directed a large staff of trained phlebotomists and couriers in their daily responsibilities.
- Assisted in the transfer from an older facility, to a new state of the art laboratory, including new laboratory protocols and staff training.
- Ph.D., Biochemistry, University of Rhode Island, Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics
- BA, Biology (major) Chemistry and Mathematics (minors), University of Rhode Island