- Polymers: 25 years' experience with chemistry and characterization of polymeric materials.
- Polyurethanes: formulations, RIM (Reaction Injection Modeling), elastomers, foams, adhesives, coatings.
- Epoxy resins: chemistry of cure, formulations, thermosets, composites, adhesives and coatings.
- Acrlates: For the salts and esters of acrylic acid, UV, EB, electron beam curing for composites, thermosets and adhesives.
- Elastomers: rubber compounding.
- Analysis of polymers: recommend chemical, thermal and mechanical testing and locate test labs.
- Military applications of polymers: experience in DoD, SBIR company and DoD - funded academic laboratory.
- Standards search and selection for materials applications.
Undisclosed Firm, Consulting Chemist, 1996 - Present
- Selection and formulation of elastomers, adhesives, coatings, foams and composite resins, especially polyurethanes, epoxies and acrylates, thermally cured and radiation cured by ultraviolet light and electron beams (additives, fillers and nanoscale fillers included).
- Expertise in photochemical and thermal degradation of polymers and organic chemicals.
- Experience with characterization techniques, especially spectroscopy (FTIR, UV and Visible spectroscopy), thermal analysis (DSC, DMA), chromatography (HPLC and GPC), mechanical testing (ASTM, military, SAE and other specifications) and interpretation of results.
- Knowledge of reaction injection molding, resin transfer molding and rubber compounding.
- Assisting small to large businesses in solving chemical and materials problems related to elastomers, thermoplastics and thermosets.
- Expert witness.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA, 2004 - 2006
Laboratory and Facilities Manager at the Institute for Soldier Nanotechnologies
- Managed 28,000 square feet of laboratories, led compliance with all government and MIT- mandated safety and environmental requirements and supported a diverse array of research projects.
- Assured that all research facilities are maintained and updated.
- Provided technical expertise to materials science research programs related to protection of U.S. Army soldiers from ballistic threats, chemical and biological agents, extremes of temperature and other threats.
- Constructed, operated and maintained laboratory equipment for research studies.
- Trained students, postdocs and visiting scientists.
Senior Research Scientist for the Science Research Laboratory, Somerville, MA, 1996 - 2004
- Small business innovation research Principal Investigator on projects totaling more than $2 million.
- Synthesized organic compounds and formulated adhesives, coatings and composite resins based upon epoxy, acrylate and urethane chemistry, utilizing nanosized materials, designed composite lay-ups using vacuum assisted resin transfer molding (VARTM) and cured with heat, UV light or Electron Beam.
- Synthesized and tested organophosphorous flame retardant resins.
- Characterized materials using FTIR and dynamic mechanical analysis (DMA), Liquid Chromatography (LC) and mechanical testing using ASTM and other standards.
- Prepared and evaluated PEM (Proton Exchange Membranes) for direct methanol fuel cells.
- Compounded and tested inorganic polyphosphazene fluoroelastomers for aircraft hydraulic seal applications.
- Supervised technicians and a research scientist.
- Maintained telephone and email contact with customers, planned research, wrote reports and proposals.
Suffolk University,Boston, MA, Adjunct Professor, Department of Chemistry, 1995 - 2002
- Taught Special Topics Course on Polymer Chemistry and Technology.
- Instructor in hands-on laboratory course in organic chemistry, taught synthetic techniques, chromatography, IR and GC.
Army Research Laboratory, Polymer Research Branch, Watertown, MA, 1989 - 1995
Team Leader for the Properties and Characterization Team
- Evaluated high performance polyurethanes, shock absorbing polymers, polyvinyl chloride (a plastisol), chemically resistant elastomers and reaction injection molded (RIM) polymers.
- Synthesized and characterized materials using infrared, ultraviolet and fluorescence spectroscopy, HPLC, thermal and mechanical analysis.
- Interpreted the results of research, wrote reports and presented results orally.
- Directed three to eight technical personnel and wrote performance appraisals twice yearly.
Senior Research Chemist, 1983 - 1989
- Synthesized polymers, oligomers, monomers and model compounds and characterized them using infrared, ultraviolet and fluorescence spectroscopy, HPLC, thermal and mechanical analysis.
- Developed and evaluated polyurethane elastomers and coatings and fluorocarbon elastomers for chemical protection.
- Presented results orally and in writing to industrial, academic and government audiences.
- Attended industrial research reviews and evaluated government-funded research.
Research Chemist, 1979 - 1983
- Performed chemical and physical characterization of monomers and polymers, including HPLC, GPC and infrared spectroscopy.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Chemical Society: Polymer Materials Science and Engineering Division, Polymer Chemistry Division, and Polymeric Materials Science and Engineering Division.
- Society of Plastics Engineers
- Association of Consulting Chemists and Chemical Engineers. ~Chemical Consultants Network
- Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA, Thesis: Photo- and Biodegradation of Polymers Containing Carbonyl Groups.
- Department of Polymer Science and Engineering, research topic: The chemistry of cure of epoxy resins.
- Author and Co-author of peer reviewed articles, journals, studies, national/international symposiums and conferences.
- 1 U.S. Patent
- Ph.D. Organic Chemistry, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT
- M.A.T. Teaching of Science, Wesleyan University, Middletown, CT
- B.A. (Honors), Chemistry, Manhattanville College, Purchase, NY