- Protein and polyelectrolyte adsorption.
- Polyelectrolyte multilayer films formed via layer-by-layer assembly.
- Optical waveguide biosensing.
- Biosensing in presence of applied electric potential.
- Thin film polymeric biomaterials as biocompatible coatings.
- Thermodynamics of adsorption of gases in porous materials and proteins/polymers at surfaces.
- Molecular computer simulation of adsorption.
University Assistant and Full Professor
Selected Courses Taught
- Colloidal Chemical Engineering, Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics, Advanced Engineering Mathematics.
- Thermodynamics and Chemical Equilibria.
- Special Topics: Molecular Modeling.
- Computational Methods in Engineering
Proposals, Publications, Lectures, Collaborations
- Research Proposals Funded: 14
- Conference Proposals Funded: 5
- Referred Publications: 56
- Papers presented at professional meetings: 82
- Invited Lectures: 35
List of publications furnished upon request.
Honors & Publications
- J. William Fulbright Scholarship, France (2006)
- John J. Lee Associate Professorship of Chemical Engineering (2005)
- Invited Feature Article, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science (2003)
- National Academy of Engineering: Frontiers of Engineering (1999)
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award (1998)
- NATO-NSF Post-Doctoral Fellowship
- Chateaubriand Post-Doctoral Fellowship
- Enrico Fermi Summer School of Physics Scholarship
- University of Minnesota Graduate School Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship
- Alpha Chi Sigma Award
- Magna Cum Laude
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Departmental distinction
- Deans' list all eight semesters
- Letter winner and elected team captain, St. Olaf College track team
- M.I.A.C. academic all-conference track team
Post-Doctoral, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris, France
- Laboratoire de Physique Theorique des Liquides
Ph.D., University of Minnesota Graduate School, Minneapolis, MN
- Department of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science
B.A., Chemistry and Mathematics, Saint Olaf College, Northfield, MN