- Managing regulatory support services, including environmental site assessments, impact statements, permit applications, Safety Analysis Reports, and other licensing support documentation.
- Supervision of both design and construction of building projects. Independent cost estimating of building projects and preparation of bid documents; and construction contract administration.
- Building forensic engineering, including building safety assessments, accident investigation, risk and hazards analyses, technical support to legal professionals and expert witness services.
- Design and management of facilities and buildings involving toxic, hazardous and radioactive materials. Service to private industry, municipal and county agencies and to the U.S. environmental Protection Agency, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and the U.S. Department of Energy.
- Sanitary Wastes - landfill expansions and waste transfer stations; waste-fired cogeneration incinerators.
- Toxic and hazardous wastes - landfills and landfill closures; PCB storage buildings; asbestos removals; incinerators for explosives decontamination; chemical inventories in support of Community Right to Know responses; Superfund site investigations and remediations; waste minimization reviews.
- Mixed and radioactive waste facilities - gaseous, liquid and solid radioactive waste treatment systems for commercial nuclear power plants; liquid and solid low-level waste (LLW) waste repackaging and incineration facilities; plutonium, transuranic (TRU) and high-level waste (HLW) storage and processing facilities; HLW vitrification plants and the associated feed pretreatment facilities.
South Carolina State Engineer and Chief Procurement Officer for Construction, 1997-2006
- Enforcement and interpretation of building codes for state construction, with the authority to amend codes.
- Managed a staff of registered engineers and architects to perform code compliance reviews of designs for both new and renovation construction. Member of the South Carolina Building Codes Council, with responsibility to define building codes used by local jurisdictions.
- As Chief Procurement Officer for Construction, responsible for the design and construction of a $250 million/year capital construction program for over 60 state agencies. ~Specific responsibilities include monitoring of capital budget expenditures for a joint legislative council, development and enforcement of procurement procedures for both design and construction, establishment of state-level design standards and construction requirements and procedures; performance of quality control reviews and audits.
- Issued almost 200 decisions, with only one overturned on appeal.
Independent Consultant, 1994 - 1997
- Areas of environmental, waste management and forensic engineering.
- Projects include environmental site assessments for industrial parks and commercial property, site planning and permitting, risk and safety assessments, accident evaluations and providing technical and administrative support to DOE-HQ and DOE operational sites.
Honors & Publications
- Member, National Fire Protection Association
- Member, National Society of Professional Engineers
- Senior Member, Institute of Industrial Engineers
- Former Chairman, Radioactive Waste Systems Committee of the Nuclear Engineering Division of ASME
- Certified Accident Investigator, DOE Safety Systems Development Center
- Certified Building Official, International Codes Council
- Registered Professional Engineer in Kansas, Oklahoma, New Mexico and South Carolina
- DOE Clearance, currently inactive
- 20 regarding nuclear and environmental engineering
- M.S., Industrial Engineering/Engineering Management, University of Missouri
- Graduate of the Nuclear Power School (Vallejo) and the Naval Reactor Test Station (Idaho Falls)
- B.S., Chemistry, New Mexico Highlands University